Washington slept here!

Washington's bedroom

Though most men in his army slept in poorly-heated huts, General Washington enjoyed the luxury of a bed and servants at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania. This bed chamber has been furnished as it was when Washington used it in 1777-78.

Rank has its privileges -- as these photos from two historic houses in Valley Forge,Pennsylvania show.

The houses were occupied by Gen. George Washington and Brig. Gen. James Mitchell Varnumin 1777-78 during the American Revolutionary War.

The rooms pictured here were furnished by the National Park Service's Department ofHistoric Furnishings, which researches and documents the historical appearance of houses,shops, ships, military barracks, courtrooms, taverns and other structures in the NationalPark system. The department acquires and installs original and reproduction objects torecreate the interiors, based on historical research.

The department's research shows the two Revolution leaders lived far differently thanthe men in their army.

Washington's headquarters

Valley Forge
The house in Valley Forge National Historic Park where Washington spent a harsh winter planning a military campaign to win American independence from England.

Washington's office
In this office, General Washington and his senior aides planned how American soldiers would continue their war of independence from England. Washington's top aides enjoyed far more luxuries than the soldiers under their command.

Varnum's headquarters

Varnum's study
The office in the David Stephens house, where Brig. Gen. James Mitchell Varnum stayed at Valley Forge. The Stephens House is smaller than Washington's quarters. Its rooms had multiple functions, with the parlor also serving as an office and bed chamber for Varnum.

Varnum's kitchen
The kitchen in Varnum's headquarters. During the winter of 1777-1778 nine persons stayed in the David Stephens House: three members of the Stephens family and six members Varnum's staff. The house is not large by today's standards. It must have felt crowded, especially for the Stephens, who formerly had their house to themselves.

Photos by NPS, Department of Historic Furnishings.