dcsimg

Exterior of your home pics

Here is where you can show off the pictures of your old home.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Exterior of your home pics

Postby rehabbingisgreen on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:56 pm

lupinfarm,
Love the brick. I had my eye on a brick but it needed just more work than I could do. I have always loved them.
rehabbingisgreen

Postby lupinfarm on Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:07 pm

wow that is grand...you could imagine it being in a historical movie.
101.JPG
101.JPG (72.39 KiB) Viewed 6093 times

Here is another image showing the other side of the house and our attempts at putting up a picket fence.Our house
is built on the Canadian shield rock so finding enough soil for posts was a challenge
Attachments
095.JPG
095.JPG (79.85 KiB) Viewed 6066 times
120.JPG
120.JPG (41 KiB) Viewed 6064 times
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Postby db1787 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:07 am

wrylass - Actually the left side of the house (pre-porches) is 1787, then 1800-1801 or so the porches and fanlight entry hall were added, then the smaller 1844 section on the right was a separate house that was somehow moved/connected to the side of the house. Looking from the basement and 3rd floor/attic these changes are evident but somewhat confusing. I mean, how could a house be moved in 1844? Was it taken apart and put back together (and if so wouldn't it have been easier just to build an addition)? Sorry for the delay in reply, going to be this way as I work quickly to beat the winter weather for outside work ;-) It is definitely a puzzle. Here's a pic of the back (and yes, the dish is going to be removed, hehe). On the back the closest side with the two chimneys and the pent is the oldest.
Attachments
back_of_house_640x480.jpg
love the brick patio and water guides
back_of_house_640x480.jpg (53.13 KiB) Viewed 5990 times
db1787

Postby Fanner on Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:01 pm

Here are a few shots of our home built in 1903. We are getting close to finishing the exterior painting, but it isn't 100% complete. You also have to use your imagination to see through the trees :wink: We can't bear to cut them down as they are a major part of keeping our upstairs bedroom cool in the summer. And, they are just beautiful trees...

Edited to add: I am totally green with envy over so many of you haveing old pictures of your homes. I have searched our historical society, library and neighbors and nada. I will continue to search until I do get my hands on one :mrgreen:

And a before shot of the front porch (it has been renovated from the pillars down...)
1904 Victorian :)
Fanner

Postby zollydog on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:23 pm

Here's the exterior of my house:

And, as you guys are talking about vintage house photos, this is the best I have -- my porch and house are visible as the third house on the left:
Proud owner of an ooooold house!
zollydog

Postby melissakd on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:32 pm

Zolly's pics aren't showing up at this writing. In the historic picture, I can't see the house at all behind the trees. But here's the link to the house today, along with many other pics of it. Drool-worthy.

Z, I salute you for taking on a "project house" of this magnitude (built as a duplex?). Hang onto those fantastic old features---that slate in the park strip, the original windows, interior shutters, the 'Flemish'-style light fixture in the upstairs hallway. Plus how great are the bonus mid-century appliances ?! Welcome!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85387627@N ... 2449685464
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby rainyday on Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:39 pm

We finished painting the exterior this last weekend- we started in FEBRUARY! It feels much cleaner and brighter than the color the PO last applied, a sort of faded pee- yellow! I love looking at all the photos here for inspiration! :D

(this took forever!!!!) In this view, the dreaded upper porch spindles have not yet been tackled...
rainyday

Postby oldhouseluvr on Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:27 am

rainyday - I know you've shared pics of your house before, but I think this is the first time I noticed your shake roof. That is very cool! Does it extend over the entire house? Love the details in your paint scheme. It is time-consuming, but it really shows off the architecture to its fullest beauty.
oldhouseluvr

Postby rainyday on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:45 pm

Thanks! The cedar shake roof does cover the whole house- it is a problem, though, we knew going into this two years ago. The PO did an amazing restoration on the house's structural elements and devised a weatherproofing system all his own that preserved these shakes for going on thirty- five years. Now that wood products are so much more expensive, even here in the NW several different roofers told us it would be difficult and really, really expenisve to find them to use to re- roof- and again there is the lifespan issue. Now they are very brittle from years of the chemicals he used. As they shift or fall off :roll: more and more of the painted flashing that he stuck everywhere is exposed- there's hundreds and hundreds of little flashing pieces between, under...everywhere- and those fall off, too. The "important" historic big home that the state now maintains is next door, that ours is sort of a part of, and was given a green asphalt shingle roof. Suggestions are always welcome- that is the next big project!
rainyday

Postby zollydog on Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:27 pm

Thank you, melissa!

We love our giant old pain in the ass house. ;)

And someday I'll figure out how to do the photos.
Proud owner of an ooooold house!
zollydog

PreviousNext

Return to The Picture Forum