Exterior of your home pics

Here is where you can show off the pictures of your old home.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Exterior of your home pics

Postby gregV on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:44 pm

lupinfarm wrote:Love your cape GregV. Are those cedar shingles they are a gorgeous colour. Welcome to the forum

Thank you. ooopss... you asked about shingles,so I am editing this post.
Yes the roof shingles are red cedar, about 12 years old and already rotting away. Uggg...

Haaa...I'm confused. Haa. Maybe you were talking about my siding, which is eastern white pine clapboards(as would have been original), radial sawn up in VT. I then hand planed each clap and nailed on with hand forged nails, I had intended to paint the house right away but never did, so the hand planing was a lot of work for nothing. :|
gregV

Postby sooth on Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:13 pm

Here's a winter shot of my house (taken last week). The house is a 1923 foursquare-type.

The exterior still needs a bunch of work. I desperately want to fix-up the front porch (the door and front steps especially) and paint the garage door and trim white. I'd also like to replace the lattice (which is broken in a few places, chipped, peeling, and probably not original). The mailbox has also gotta go (everytime it rains, all the mail gets wet). I might make a mail slot in the porch door (which will eventually be wood).
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Postby lupinfarm on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:56 pm

Well GregV I wouldnt paint your siding. I love the colour, it adds " Quaintness Quotient". Okay I just made that up. But seriously
I love the way the outside looks. You will have to forgive me, but with my old glasses and bad 50 something eyes it looked
like ceday shakes or shingles. Anyway your house is as cute as button. Mine not so much right now with its ugly huge vinyl bay
window. I cant wait to have it ripped out and the brick work re instated back to the original.
Attachments
323.JPG
323.JPG (160.25 KiB) Viewed 6578 times
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Postby melissakd on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:02 pm

http://ghmyc_1m.tripod.com/house111.jpg

What is everyone looking at? I can't see anything! My computer tells me that the above is an invalid URL. :?

MKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby gregV on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:32 pm

melissakd wrote:http://ghmyc_1m.tripod.com/house111.jpg

What is everyone looking at? I can't see anything! My computer tells me that the above is an invalid URL. :?

MKD

Hmmm?? Anyone else having a problem with seeing my picture a few post back?
Just want to make sure that I may not be messing something up.
gregV

Postby sooth on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:36 pm

I can see the photo in the link just fine. It's a different view of the house in your signature.
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Postby Old Colonial on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:01 pm

gregV,

I'm having trouble seeing the pictures of the inside of your house... hint...hint.. :wink: After seeing the outside you can't leave us hanging. Let's see some details!

Jeff
Old Colonial

Postby melissakd on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:22 pm

I can't see the signature pic either, you guys! It probably has something to do with the library's computer system, which assiduously blocks all downloads, e-mail attachments and so on. (I don't have Internet at home, so I use the public library.)

MelissaKD

EDIT -- I can see the link in your signature all right, and it works. Nice house. Glad to have another expert on board. I'm only sorry I don't have more to say or ask, since around here, even the dirt isn't as old as that furniture. :)
Last edited by melissakd on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby gregV on Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:07 pm

Just thought I'd share a couple pics.
This is my house after my restoration that I did.
ImageAll power, phone and cable come from the road into the outhouse in the distance there and then under ground to the main house.

This is a "new" addition I did on a 1760 colonial. This "L" was a modern addition to this very old house but was done in a way that the new owner hated. It used to be straight and square with modern sliders and a new two car attached garage. This is how it looked when I was done. It's what I do. ;-)

gregV

Postby Kansas. 1911. on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:32 pm

Gregory,
I just went to your website. All I can say is, "Wow." You have a specialty, a niche, and your finishes are amazing.
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage
Kansas. 1911.

PreviousNext

Return to The Picture Forum