Switch to full style
Here is where you can show off the pictures of your old home.
Post a reply

Re: Exterior of your home pics

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:34 pm

Kansas. 1911. wrote:Gregory,
I just went to your website. All I can say is, "Wow." You have a specialty, a niche, and your finishes are amazing.

Thanks very much. :)

Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:39 pm

The Goode Home in Red Bank, NJ
Attachments
Picture 4.png
Picture 4.png (597.85 KiB) Viewed 7582 times

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:51 am

CathleenGoode wrote:The Goode Home in Red Bank, NJ

Pretty. :)

Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:03 pm

Hello all,
Soon, we will be a proud owner of a 1925 house. My husband and I will about to close on this property at the end of March and it is being redone. The picture I am attaching is an old photo from the listing (when it was sold to the seller last year). The seller/contractor had signed our offer, so I am very close to owning my dream house. Well, some friends may be surprised. They thought that I was joking when I used to tell them that I am waiting an antique house to be on the sale block. While all of them are so fascinated with new houses, I am drawn to older houses.

Before making this decision, I have read a lot of your posts and so thrilled to find out that there exist a group who are committed to maintaining an old house. The interior of this house (at present) is a mess. Some walls (plaster) were torn down and replastered. There's also complete re-insulation going on. The roof replacement was just recently completed. The property wasn't our agent's first choice for us. She showed us a new construction house; but this house caught my attention -- fortunately it was also for sale. My husband couldn't believe his ears when I told the agent that I want to go inside the house. The agent told us that it's messy and it's not a good time to show it. Nevertheless, we went in. Upon stepping in, I said, the size is just perfect. I was warned though that it does not have a walk-in closet, rooms are smaller, and the basement has a 6'2" ceiling height (my husband wanted a family room in the basement.) I toured the house; amidst its flaws, I fell in love with it.

Tonight I decided to join the forum and ask you questions in the future. This is our first home and we are very excited to move in. :D
Attachments
Fireplace_house.jpg
Fireplace_house.jpg (3.71 KiB) Viewed 7458 times
1925 House.jpg
1925 House.jpg (5.95 KiB) Viewed 7459 times

Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:40 pm

chek wrote:I was warned though that it does not have a walk-in closet

Well how the heck do you expect to survive in such primitive conditions??? :wink:

Hello and welcome. You're already a seasoned old-house owner: you've got friends who thought you must be kidding and a real estate agent who was certain you'd prefer something new, and most of all, you said

"amidst its flaws, I fell in love with it"

and that's as eloquent an expression of what we're all doing here as I've seen in a while.

MelissaKD

Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi everyone! I am new here, just found the site yesterday. I have been looking for photos of Dutch Colonial Revival houses. We bought ours 4 years ago, here are a couple pics of the outside.
Attachments
our house.jpg
Our house 2 years ago when it needed a new roof (notice blue tarp lol)
our house.jpg (297.59 KiB) Viewed 7280 times
christmashouse.jpg
Our house at Christmas
christmashouse.jpg (139.71 KiB) Viewed 7278 times

Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:46 pm

Wow there are some amazing houses in this thread.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:38 pm

I really like these old American houses, loads of individual character.
Been building an extension on mine for the last 6 months. It already had an ugly flat roof one put on in the 70's. I've put a bit more on the end and added a piched roof over the flat one. Hope it improves the looks a bit as well as adding a bit of space to a small cottage.
phppZffriAM.jpg
phppZffriAM.jpg (95 KiB) Viewed 6669 times
phpwig9o8AM.jpg
phpwig9o8AM.jpg (88.77 KiB) Viewed 6666 times

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:25 pm

Slate AND Thatch? Pretty! Thatch, of course, we don't have over here. How do you like it?

Chris
http://www.saracenihouse.com

Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:59 pm

Thatch is great until you have to pay for repairs. 1ft of thatch has the same u value as 6 inches of fibreglass. A new ridge last year cost me £900.
When I applied for planning permission the planners didn't want a thatched roof as they wanted the extension to be 'subservient' to the main cottage.
Post a reply