Exterior of your home pics

Here is where you can show off the pictures of your old home.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Exterior of your home pics

Postby oldhouseluvr on Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:33 pm

amarsta1 - I just checked out your link and I have to tell you that I am impressed by your chosen profession to restore old houses. It sounds like there is more to that story and I'm sure we would all love to hear how you got started and what motivates you.
oldhouseluvr

Postby utopia13 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:16 am

I agree!!!! Especially the page with your "Restoration topics of 2010", With window resto being the first in January! Every topic mentioned is exactly what all of us here are all about.

Is the photo you posted here YOUR place?? :D Or one of the jobs you did??

Welcome to the 'hood!
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby Old Colonial on Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:31 pm

I don't have the extact date for the house. A 1954 document and the 1983 town history book said this house was built about 1776 by Joseph Couch. My research has found that Joseph actually lived a couple miles up the road. According to my deed reseach the property was bought in 1806 by his grandson Joseph Couch referred to as Joseph Jr even though his father was Benjamin. Talk about confusing, his uncle was Joseph and he also had a son Joseph. Anyway, Joseph Jr married Melee Howard from the next town. Their 1890 history book said this house was built by Melee's husband. I don't believe this house was here when Joseph bought the property in 1806. I know the lastest date is 1827. Someday I'll tell you the story of EC 1827. So far it has been the highlight of my research.

These pictures are a couple years old. The yard has come a long way in five years. We moved the driveway away from the side door, put in the brick sidewalk, turned a 1970s horse barn into a garage and resided it and my wife is constantly improving the perennial gardens around the house. Besides the interior restoration, the exterior paint is constant maintenance. It came with about 9 acres of land. A couple acres of lawn, about 3 acres of field and the rest is wooded. Oh, did I mention the 20x40 foot inground pool? I do yard work in shorts just in case I have an emergency and have to jump in on a hot day. :D

Jeff

OldColonial.JPG
OldColonial.JPG (85.59 KiB) Viewed 8433 times
Side Entry2.JPG
Side Entry2.JPG (86.98 KiB) Viewed 8435 times
Old Colonial

Postby Igloochic on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:55 am

Jeff...I have serious house envy. I love our old victorian, but I've always wanted an earlier home...that rustic charm is hard to manufacture! Want to trade? heh heh
The James House - 1889 "Modern" Queen Anne
Igloochic

Postby amarsta1 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:31 pm

Now that I think about it, I guess you could say the excitement that comes from fixing an old house has been passed down for generations. My grandfather built their family's house himself back in the early 1900s. I remember that he paid $100 when it was a shed or shack or garage, I can't recall, but he transformed it into a multistory family home by adding on over the years. When I was growing up, I had to hold dad's tools while he was building an addition to our house. His brother is really something. Every time we visit, his house is completely changed from moving a staircase, adding something on, or moving around doorways and such. Thanks for the reminder!

I only lived in the house pictured here for 9 months, but it was my favorite because of the style and location. 12th & Benton in Kansas City, Missouri is an interesting intersection to live on, with a mix of shops, a restaurant, and ice cream parlor. It kind of felt like a combination of old Victorian country living (there is a grassy grove next door, with lots of wildlife) and city living in New York.
Browse restored Kansas City Victorian homes at
http://www.kcrestorations.com
amarsta1

Postby melissakd on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:02 pm

utopia13 wrote:There is something almost surreal about this photograph. It looks like an oil painting from someones' imagination. How wonderful to have this! Needs to be enlarged, printed on a satin or matte paper, matted & framed in an ornate antique frame. Just beautiful!!! Kudos to the photographer!!

I'm thinking jigsaw puzzle myself.

MKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby oldhouseluvr on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:01 pm

I don't know if I mentioned it before but we found a guy in Cape May NJ who takes photos and transfers them to canvas. We sent him a few pictures we took ourselves of the house and he kindly suggested that we keep trying. :mrgreen: I think this one will work. Maybe if we made the photo into jigsaw puzzles we could sell them to subsidize our maintenance costs. LOL - maybe we could buy a new paint brush.
oldhouseluvr

Postby Tujo on Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:10 am

Here is my house, at least for the next few months...

Tujo

Postby Sombreuil_Mongrel on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:46 pm

Here's me, in the wake of the Blizzard of '09
This is the newly-opened up back porch, and the original siding with my match of the original paint color (which happened to be Moore's Bronzed Beige); hopefully, some day the pea green aluminum will be removed and I'll have a nice little yellow house.
Casey
Sombreuil_Mongrel

Postby woody_ct on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:12 pm

This is my 1900 Victorian that I bought in November 08'. I spent this past Summer scraping hideous 40 year old mustard yellow paint off. Every square inch of the house was covered in it. It was a big yellow blob. It is in 2 coats of primer right now with the exception of the gable ends which are still in mustard. Ran out of time and good weather. Will finish them this season and put 5 colors on her.
Attachments
028.jpg
028.jpg (56.7 KiB) Viewed 7991 times
woody_ct

PreviousNext

Return to The Picture Forum