1729 Central Chimney Cape Owns Us .. very soon

Here is where you can show off the pictures of your old home.

Moderators: TinaB, Don M, Schag, oldhouse

1729 Central Chimney Cape Owns Us .. very soon

Postby colden » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:48 pm

Center Chimney Cape c. 1729

We go to closing in just two short weeks and then the fun begins!
After reading a lot of posts here we have made a list of emergency
tasks that need to be completed. Paint on exterior is in terrible shape
and we want to get a jump on that...clean gutters, take care of broken
windows, etc. It is nice to see we have a place to come to share our
worries, troubles and joys .. oohh and most importantly.. PICTURES!

You can see in years past its definitely heard some great stories from
indian troubles to Tory occupancy and sqatters that took it over after
the revolutionary war. Then the civil war and underground railroad ties.
Just an amazing historical treasure!!

Check out the pics!
http://picasaweb.google.com/WakanLady/StoneStreetHouse#

Ahhh first request for help on emergency list here.. anyone have any
ideas on restoring this bulkhead so that it goes with the home but still
protects from water dmg?

Thanks so much for any input.
Colleen & Dennis
Attachments
bulkhead.JPG
bulkhead.JPG (68.68 KiB) Viewed 3029 times
colden

Re: 1729 Central Chimney Cape Owns Us .. very soon

Postby oldhouseluvr » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:51 pm

That's a very handsome house. Good luck with the move and renovations.
oldhouseluvr

Postby airgrabber » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:43 am

I love the fireplace and bread oven! That's awesome! Nice house and a worthy candidate of restoration. Good luck!
Three may keep a secret, if two are dead.
Circa 1921 Dutch Colonial Revival
airgrabber

Postby Igloochic » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:24 am

Fun project :) (This from the girl who can't even get the dining room painted in a month LOL) I really do look forward to seeing your progress. Ohhh and welcome aboard. I'm newer to the forum (purchased in Sept, moved in Nov to our old box) and I've found them to be a great family of support :) Some a bit nutty...but that seems to go with the territory of purchasing an old place does it not? In fact the longer people have been in their places, the nuttier they seem....hummmm I wonder if there is a medical condition worth exploring there???

Anyhoo, welcome to the nut house.

Now on that bulkhead....I would call a bulkhead a wall that holds back something (like water) but you have a picture of what I'd call a cellar entry or storm entry? If that's what we're talking about....we have one with a terrible little shed built over it that screams 1970's. Terrible blight on my house and we're going to remove it, but keep the brick structure the wood sits on and build it up to the shape of what it appears you have there (two triangles sticking out of the ground) then mount two lovely doors angled on it (weather stripped, etc) that can be easily opened from inside or out. (Probably some more modern hinges) since we plan on using ours when we have people in the pool room who want to smoke cigars. Our doors will be similar to what you have there, except trimmed out better (the slats) since that was fairly common for a storm door. I'd love to see yours with period type hardware (wouldn't a big steal thing across the door be part of that?)
The James House - 1889 "Modern" Queen Anne
Igloochic

Postby wletson » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 am

Hi! Welcome to the forum! :D

I've been pondering how to re-do an outdoor basement entrance for a couple of years now. Here's what I have to replace.

There are a couple of companies out there who manufacture entrances like this, but I want to build something that looks "correct" as well. I'm playing with the idea of pressure treated (outdoor) plywood, faced with tongue & groove running vertically to recreate the look of what you had originally. Big beefy black hinges.

Mine currently has a metal "A" frame on the left to hold the door from flopping totally 180 degrees open. Saves having to lift so much when you close it. I'll be keeping that detail.

Oh, the yucky piece of ply that is slouching on top I've been using to reduce the amount of water that leaks in. Every now and then I have to boost it back up the slope. :oops: One of those projects I really really need to get to this year. (I think this is the third year I've said that)
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby melissakd » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:18 pm

Congratulations on the incredible acquisition! SO many things that will reward your care and effort...the summerhouse! the sled! the floors! My DH would just salivate to death if he could have a well with a rock over it like that.

I do have cellar-door replacement experience, but unfortunately it won't be much help: we made our new cellar door out of a regular interior door the neighbors were throwing away, a leftover length of asphalt sheet roofing, and the hardware from the old one. :)

MKD

P.S. Don't believe anything you hear about the Underground Railroad. Around 1900, one scholar estimated, based on personal accounts he'd collected from elderly people, that there would have had to be at LEAST three thousand two hundred conductors. And that was a hundred years ago. :)
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby YinzerMama » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:52 am

My husband's aunt and her husband have a house that was built 1700s and has had some additons, and has a fireplace in the kitchen (which is an addition) that looks just like yours. Any chance from the outside it looks like a big brick upside ice cream cone?? Or is it on an internal wall?
1938 or '39 craftsman-like bungalow-like kinda thing
YinzerMama

Postby colden » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:41 pm

Our last post was Apr 28, 2010...we did in fact close on this National Historic treasure within the next month. Still need to paint the exterior and that will get done this spring or early summer 2011 for sure.

The bulkheads (we have two) will also be done by a local carpenter unless the estimate is way off (as in too high). Cedar planks possibly with heavy stainless steel hinges that look old have been recommended.

It was a rough winter, and I hope I'm not being too optimistic when using the past tense. OK. So we're expecting another 3 inches or so next week. Melting of the ice dams has commenced. That is a good thing.
colden

Postby colden » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:54 pm

YinzerMama wrote:My husband's aunt and her husband have a house that was built 1700s and has had some additions, and has a fireplace in the kitchen (which is an addition) that looks just like yours. Any chance from the outside it looks like a big brick upside ice cream cone?? Or is it on an internal wall?

No on the upside-down cone. It is on an inside wall and it's the smallest chimney of the three. It used to sport a stove pipe.
colden

Postby gregV » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:08 pm

Wow, this is such a sweet little place, with wonderful property and outbuildings. Congrats on the acquisition!

Had fun going through all your pics, and of course I have some comments LOL. Sorry, just me.
I might guess that what you are calling fire pits are in fact old outbuilding foundations. Maybe corn cribs or whatnot. Yes, it seem that one was in fact turned into an outdoor BBQ pit! Have fun with that! ;)
Your little cape is quite curious to me. Not sure of the floor plan, but is does the main center chimney have just the two big fireboxes? One in each front room, or is that small third one on of three on the first floor within that center chimney? Something is going on, as you may see, with the original kitchen firebox as the bricks surrounding the beehive area are new to the original. If in fact this is as early as 1729 then the beehive would not be on the side but would be in the rear of the firebox. Also as early as 1729 I'm pretty sure that the lintel wouldd not have been steel. Just comes off to that this cape may be closer to the late 1700s or early 1800s.
Where is this house? What state, what part of what state?

Have a blast with this homestead! Just looks SO inviting, charming....perfect. :)
gregV

Next

Return to The Picture Forum