My late family home renovation

Here is where you can show off the pictures of your old home.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Fanatic

My late family home renovation

Post by Fanatic »

Well guys, I figured I'd start this thread up now. I've been waiting to start this project for years and years now, and I finally get my chance! Here's the story on it, from my first/intro thread "A how old is it thread". By the way, a little info on me. My name Is Cody, and I live in Martin Georgia. This is my first house, third home restoration, and I'm 21.
Hey guys and girls. Been snooping around, figured I would join up. You guys have some beautiful houses by the way, man, I wish I owned one like that. Well, here's the story on it. My grandfather and his family moved into this house when he was 7 (Can't recall his age now). The house consisted of one room, a small living room, and a kitchen. My grandfathers family built onto it, and it became 4 room, with a back porch. He raised my father, uncle, and 2 aunts here. Once they moved out, he knocked down the wall rooms, making it have a large living room. He then built himself and my grandmother a big room of to the side, and added a new kitchen, and a new front porch. Now the side room roof has collapsed due to holding up a tree from a tornado, the roof in the living room has leaked and rotted the floor out in a spot. It's rotted in about a 4 foot radius. I removed the carped today, and found the floor joists seem to be as good as they were when first installed. (They don't make them like they used to..) Anyway, I was asking him about it the other day, and he actually tossed me the keys, and said "Good luck". Boy, what a way to start a project.. haha. I'm looking to restore it for 2 reasons. The first being, I would like to keep it in the family. Second, me and my fiance are going to need a place once she gets out of collage. At least I have 4 years to fix her up. Ok, a few things that might tip you off to how old it is. First off, the floor that was there when built, is made of (what looks to be) 1x4's. Theirs 2 layers making up the floor. Second: the back porch has "asphalt" siding stuff on it. The stuff that looks like brick, but it reminds me of a shingles. It's so old, that it doesn't have a foundation. It's literally sitting on rocks. Not bricks or cement blocks, but rocks. The only part that has a black foundation is the porch my grand dad built. It looks funny really.. Here are a few photos of it. I have since killed the bees that had taken over (It's been abandoned over 25 years..) and the smell.. yeah. Do not want.
Here are some photos. Here is a photo of the house form my yard. This photo was taken roughly 5 minutes after I got the key. I was walking up to the house to open it up, and peek inside. I have cut that jungle I now can call a lawn since then.

The floor was absolutely rotten. I fell all of the way through it, ad hit the ground. I'm just glad both of my feet were on the same side of the joist! The reason:

Nice joists though.

Moving on, this room I call the "Rotten room". You'll see why. A tree fell on the house some years ago. I remember the storm, and the tree hitting it, but I never knew the roof damage was that bad.

Fanatic

Re: My late family home renovation

Post by Fanatic »

A few random photos:

A picture of one of the old door knobs inside.

The bathroom wall, which the storm tore out.

Better photo of the rotton room.

Clean front porch

Clean rear porch.

View from the far kitchen wall. Ignore my shoulder and man nipple

More kitchen photos

A dirty (But newly floored) living room.

These rooms will get cleaned next. All they are is dirty, the walls and floor is fine in each.
Room 1:

Room 2:

The bathroom:

Laundry room which goes out to the back porch. It's tiny, must make bigger!

Top it off with one more kitchen photo. Look for much improvement in the next batch of photos.

rehabbingisgreen

Post by rehabbingisgreen »

Oh looks like you have a bit of a project. Besides the one room and bath, it looks pretty solid. What all are you planning to do with it?

lisascenic

Post by lisascenic »

Please buy or build some shelves! I can't bear to look at all those clothes on the floor, because it shows that the house is being treating like a dumpster, not a dwelling.

Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

Well, the house basically was a dumpster the past 25 or so years. It was used as a storage for the family. The entire living room was like that, and I had a few relatives get their items, some won't show up and get their stuff. So what bit of clothes, etc is not claimed by the end of the month, is getting burnt. I have a project to do here, and I'm not dodging their items any more.

Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

Newest photo. Took a while to clean all of that up.

Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

Ok guys, I measured the well depth today. It's almost 52 feet. +/-. I guess I really need to fill it before I start anything else, being as I'm going to be all around it, and I'm not willing to fall in. What would be the best course of action to fill this guy in? It's about 4 feet wide.

lisascenic

Post by lisascenic »

Why are you filling in the well? Can't you cap it?

Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

Well, I'm going to fill it because it;s caving in on itself. Like, the walls are falling down. If I cap it, the cap will just fall in. Last time my grandpa did anything, he installed a cement slab on top of the hole, and now it's in the bottom.

lupinfarm

Post by lupinfarm »

Hey some of those rooms look alot like the interior of my house when i moved in. I love the wallpaper, all those birds
and snow reminds me of "here". I think you should have a yard sale forget the dumpster. You know what the old sage
once said " One mans muck is another mans brass" You have a lot of work ahead of you. Good luck and keep me posted.
Here are some pictures of my place.
Attachments
030.JPG
030.JPG (123.46 KiB) Viewed 15757 times
022.JPG
022.JPG (72.34 KiB) Viewed 15736 times
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.