dcsimg

Old Victorian Progress

Here is where you can show off the pictures of your old home.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Old Victorian Progress

Postby justin86 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:34 pm

Hello. I've been feeling pretty overwhelmed lately, so I'm making this thread to track my progress and hopefully get some motivation.

About Me:
My name is Justin. I'm 25 years old. I've been married for almost 2 years and have 2 dogs.

The house:
Built in early 1900's (don't know exact date) and have owned it since Mid October 2010.

Outside front as it sits now. How the hell am I going to strip and paint that top window since I can't step on the slate?

Photoshopped Color Scheme:

2/27: Let the scraping begin!

3/13: Working my way up.

3/20: Planted Grass..

3/27:

5/7: Got siding made at the local vintage lumber place and replaced a section of rotted wood.

5/29: Me pressure washing the house! Also got rid of the ugly storm windows, since they weren't doing anything with all the missing panes.

6/4:

6/5:

6/19: Priming Almost finished.

The back porch was screened in, but I ripped that all out because the dogs destroy it. How do I know if the beams are load baring?
justin86

Re: Old Victorian Progress

Postby Daniel Meyer on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Nice place!

justin86 wrote: How the hell am I going to strip and paint that top window since I can't step on the slate?

Fargle-Snorkers for the win! (link)

You need one...nay NEEED one...you know you do! :D
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby SkipW on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:38 pm

Wow, nice work and quickly done! (And you're really neat)

As for the posts being load bearing, my guess is yes, at least the corner, and it looks a little undersized even. The corner post supports that overhang which is your porch, and takes that load to the ground. Now, of course all of them share the load a bit, but the corner does the heavy lifting. Unless that entire corner is somehow cantelievered....

I would get a structural engineer or at least a reputable contractor to look at it if you are thinking, as it seems you are, of doing away with the porch posts. You may be able to have only one corner post, but I'd bet they would specify something like an 8x8 post. And would make sure it was on fondation to support the load.

Just my .02 - Keep up the good work and maybe Daniel will drive up in his FargleSnorker one day and surprise you!!! :mrgreen:

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford
SkipW

Postby justin86 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:30 pm

Daniel Meyer wrote:Nice place!

justin86 wrote: How the hell am I going to strip and paint that top window since I can't step on the slate?

Fargle-Snorkers for the win! (link)

You need one...nay NEEED one...you know you do! :D

That sure beats my 40' Ladder.

SkipW wrote:Wow, nice work and quickly done! (And you're really neat)

As for the posts being load bearing, my guess is yes, at least the corner, and it looks a little undersized even. The corner post supports that overhang which is your porch, and takes that load to the ground. Now, of course all of them share the load a bit, but the corner does the heavy lifting. Unless that entire corner is somehow cantelievered....

I would get a structural engineer or at least a reputable contractor to look at it if you are thinking, as it seems you are, of doing away with the porch posts. You may be able to have only one corner post, but I'd bet they would specify something like an 8x8 post. And would make sure it was on fondation to support the load.

Just my .02 - Keep up the good work and maybe Daniel will drive up in his FargleSnorker one day and surprise you!!! :mrgreen:

That's the thing though, the posts don't go all the way to the ground. They just sit on top of the deck. On the other hand, I'm sure it wasn't done properly just like the rest of the house. I'll definitely get it checked out before I take out my reciprocating saw. If I do need a post, I'm thinking a round post like this http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202307532/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 instead of the existing boring square beam.
justin86

Postby SkipW on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:49 pm

Like the column, it would look nice.

It is entirely possible that some of the load is carried by large beams that run left and right and some big posts are on either side of the porch at the corner of the house, but I cant believe it was designed solely for that as support. Is the porch original? Next question, the ones there now land on the deck, as in on the decking? Then that's not original unless its 100 year old decking!! Hopefully the deck is bult like a brick sh*t house underneath.

Good luck though, your house loves you :wink:

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford
SkipW

Postby pqtex on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:52 am

I think you're confusing overwhelmed with just tired out! You have done an amazing job. I think everyone reaches a plateau or get mentally blocked somewhere in a huge project like that. Keep plugging away and you'll reach your stride again. Now, I honestly loved the original green (teal?) color. Like the round column you've picked out, too. As for the high window, what about scaffolding? Easy for me to suggest...I wouldn't be up there! :roll: I second the motion that Daniel drive his fargle-snarkle out your way for a little visit. :mrgreen:
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby justin86 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:51 am

I'm finished!!
Lol, just kidding!
It's a quick photoshop of what I'm planning. What do you think? Colors definitely aren't exact, but this is the idea for placement.

6/26: Primed under the porch and a few other areas. Would have finished priming this weekend, but my friend who said he was coming to help me with the ladder never showed up.
justin86

Postby Lynners on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:55 am

You had me fooled! I was going to say "Holy crap you're magic!!!"

I personally really like the colour choice and placement, but I'm far from knowledgable about historic house painting.
The Carson Farmhouse, 1899
Minesing, Ontario, Canada
http://www.firsthomedreams.com
Lynners

Postby justin86 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:01 am

Lynners wrote: but I'm far from knowledgable about historic house painting.

Yeah me either, I'm totally winging it. Even if it's not 100% historically correct, it's 1000x better than the peeling green sea that was there I think.
justin86

Postby SkipW on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:04 pm

I really like your color choices, it looks great to me....

SkipW

Next

Return to The Picture Forum