The master (and only) bedroom...

Here is where you can show off the pictures of your old home.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

eclecticcottage

Re: The master (and only) bedroom...

Post by eclecticcottage »

We moved a bit further on the "closets", getting the shelves in, most trim on and getting the outsides painted. I need to scrape and repaint the shutters we have, and we're going to need to figure out how to recreate one tapered slat, since one of the shutters came apart at some point in it's life and lost a slat! Obviously we're going to need to do some more repair to that shutter as well. I would post pics, but it's kinda messy at the moment, lol.

Got one of part of a closet...

The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)

Drew1910

Post by Drew1910 »

Any more progress on the closet? I know my wife would love to do something like this.
1910 Four Square viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30888

eclecticcottage

Not really, scraping the old shutters has really taken some time since I have tendontitis. Can't scrape for long, lol. Pretty much there now, we still have to recreate one of the slats though. then we'll paint them and get them mounted. Looks like I'll have to hunt up some hinges because I haven't been able to find the other halves of the actual shutter hardware that is already on them.

Construction is pretty simple. 2x3 frame with 1" strapping as slats to make the shelves and more strapping as trim. Used beadboard to fill the gaps on the outside and plywood on top as another shelf. We built a "window seat" between the two. More pics later once the shutters are on, it's just messy looking without them with the clothes in them.

charliecollins45

Post by charliecollins45 »

Great work

eclecticcottage

Finally a little progress on this project!

I am starting to paint the shutters. This is going to be a while, because just doing the one side of shutter #1 led to numb fingers! The technique just beats up on my arm I guess and I CANNOT do it left handed. So it will be one side per day, when it decides not to rain and I have time. I'm dry brushing them (at least that what I call it, it involves very little new paint being applied, so your brush is nearly dry). The wood is very dry, so I will be treating them with something when I'm done-I think tung oil but I'm still unsure because they will be touching clothes. I think it will soak in completely, but I'm still not sure.

Here we go, before during and after, and a comparison between the before and after next to each other: