The master (and only) bedroom...

Here is where you can show off the pictures of your old home.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

eclecticcottage

The master (and only) bedroom...

Post by eclecticcottage »

We wanted to rehang the door, because whomever built the wall it's in didn't believe in using a level.

Anyway, it became a MUCH bigger project!

Here's the before

We found a nice floor under the carpet, despite being told they were destroyed

Some of the fun stuff we found

Everything stripped back to the walls

We're doing plank paneling

And the fun part...it's plywood, we got 111 pieces preripped to 4' long by 8 5/8" 9 1/3" and just shy of 10". We've got them sorted and are working on a plan so the sizes don't look weird. We got all of the wood for $37! Paint is about $80, only because we originally bought some paint/primer in one from True Value that SUCKED and then switched to a contractor's grade gliden for $50 for a 5 gallon. We might top coat with a nice paint, but ply sucks up the paint so we should have just bought the cheap stuff originally for the first few coats.

More pics and info on my blog so I don't copy and paste everything. We're painting the floor a cool sagey green and putting up this fan

The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)

mattswabb

Re: The master (and only) bedroom...

Post by mattswabb »

In the eye of the normal homeowner the floors are destroyed. Most don't realize that with a days rental of a sander, a gallon of stain and poly they will look great.

Rent a pad or the orbital sander. I used a 12x18 pad sander on mine. Takes longer than the drum but you cannot screw it up.

eclecticcottage

We're going to end up painting the floor, because there are a few places where a mouse tried to chew it's way in or out at some point that will need filling. You'd definately see the patches with stain.

We thought there were actual holes throughout the floor, when it's just along the sides. Not nearly as bad as we were expecting (we expected mouse tunnels).

It's funny, this is the second floor layer. The first layer is under there still. If you look at the pic of the stud, you can see the drywall continues between the floor and wall. It's so weird. They built the walls first, then put in the floor. Then later, someone put in another floor. The baseplates are even with the flooring rather than sitting on it! I dug some drywall out of the "cracks" in a few spots and confirmed there's concrete below that.

They also have triple studs and a header in the outside wall...which is a gable end so it's not even load bearing (they DON'T have them in the actual load bearing wall though).

I'm still afraid of what we'll find in the hallway under the carpet...but that's a whole new project there! The moisture problems they attributed to multiple times the pipes froze and cracked appeared to have actually been from a leaking tub surround, which we have since fixed. however, that's on the other side of the hall-we think the water ran from the tub, down that wall into the floor, under the hall floor to the bedroom/dining room wall (which is where the major water staining and mold were). So I imagine the hall floor is in tough shape. We can't see it under the carpet, at one point it was tiled and the tile backer is still there below the carpet.

osirus226

Post by osirus226 »

What a lovely looking fan! Looks good so far :D
I cringe when I see paneling because I'm currently working on a room that had paneling in it too, painted pink no less.

eclecticcottage

UGH! Pink is my absolute least favorite color ever. I would have repainted it, even if I planned on ripping it out later. When we bought our Old House one of the first things I wanted to do was pull out the sheets of 4x8 paneling. I just hated the fakeness of it.

We were originally going to just paint this stuff for now, but it was easier to pull the wiring without drwall in the way. And once we found the mold spots, it was a forgone conclusion that it was coming out.

utopia13

Post by utopia13 »

I have seen & read so many instances of crazy things that PO's have done...but to actually build it that way (walls first, then add floor!?). It certainly appears that you have a game plan in place tho. That fan is really nice too.

Be sure to keep us updated, and as you know...you can never post TOO many photos!! :mrgreen:
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow

eclecticcottage

Thanks! It does look like a nice fan...too bad the one in the box isn't actually that fan!!

We went to Lowes to get it, had ordered it online so we could do a will call pickup on my lunch (hoping this would be faster than searching for it, it's on the top shelf, gotta wait for someone with a ladder, blah blah blah you know how that goes). Had to wait long enough that it was a run to the car I'm gonna be late omg kind of thing so I didn't look at the box. Later, I did, but figured it had reversible blades and the box was showing the other side of them, rather than the antiqued side (someone had mentioned this feature in a review). We got the wires pulled and decided to put it together...and it has only "distressed" blades that look kind of a like a white washed oak with "holes" stamped into the exact same spot on each blade! It went back in the box and went back to the store. We picked up another Northshore, which is what we have in the living room. I'll probably paint it somehow to make it look different from those and match the room better.

This is what we bought

I *almost* bought this one instead, but then read the reviews to find it *only* has a remote, no pull chains!

We're also finding we don't care for the plain white paneling, so we're playing with crackle. I'm not completely sure how it will look on a room full of panleing, but I think I'm going to find out!! I tried some very light green paint, but DH really didn't care for it, and he really likes the crackle-grene base, white over top. If he's happy, it's good with me.

This was the only pic I could find online of someone that did this

and I do like this, even though it's green over white, and more antiqued than distressed

I do have to say though, that having a cottage where this is acceptible is kinda fun. Besides, if we hate it later we can always replace it with "real" (I know plywood is technically real wood) wood paneling when we have more $$.

We are also using (hopefully if they fit) some old shutters we saved a few years ago to build a "closet" (can't seem to find cheap bifolds) rather like this

I am so addicted to Pinterest lately looking for ideas for this place...

lupinfarm

Post by lupinfarm »

Hi eclecticcottage...love your idea of crackle finish on your paneling. Funny I was thinking of redoing my floors upstairs with
Plywood strip flooring stained to imitate " real" hardwood flooring. My home just has sub floors upstairs and they are a really
low grade wood that cant be sanded smooth. Where did you get your plywood ripped down? whilst I do have a table saw it cant
handle these large sheets and my arm span is not great enough ( no where near the 4feet needed) to cope with the job.
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.

eclecticcottage

Thanks!

We found them on CL already ripped down to 8-10" by 4'. We then used the table saw to cut them down to the 6" width we wanted. We did run short and just had Lowes cut down two sheets of ply for us. I'd go with 8' lengths because of the way the grain on the ply runs, but the 4' worked for us, especially since we're painting them.

We picked up a few sets of barn door sliders and track today. We're thinking of using one the sets and some of the track for the bedroom door, because the hall is pretty narrow and the bedroom is as well once the bed is in. Figured this was a good way to deal with that!

lisascenic

Post by lisascenic »

eclecticcottage wrote:
Image]
I have to tell you, I really love this pattern. Is it wallpaper, or flooring that someone put on the walls for some reason?

I can totally see this featured on Apartment Therapy's website. Adorable.