Why stop with the bedroom?

Here is where you can show off the pictures of your old home.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

eclecticcottage

Why stop with the bedroom?

Post by eclecticcottage »

So we decided that while it was still nice out, we'd get the flooring out so we weren't dragging the bags of demo materials to the curb in the snow. So...here's the results from the hallway:

Before...this is before we closed looking towards the living room

And the progress

I bet this is a new one for most people. At some point, someone found the rot in the floor. Rather than fix everything, they...poured concrete in the rotted area. Yup. Concrete.

All the rotted stuff is out, this is the concrete slab we sit on.

The floor

Mold on the wall. The tub leaked. For a LOOONNNGGG time.

Took out the moldy drywall. You can see the long standing water damage.

This is where the water ran down.

I have treated all of the mold with vinegar.

We didn't stop with the hall.

This was the dining room before we moved in. It was faux wood adhesive "planks" The enterprising person that laid it did so end to end rather than staggering the joints. It looked ridiculous.

You can see the floor that was below it in this picture, it was worn but kind of fun-faux brick. Too bad it had MAJOR adhesive (the black stuff all over the floor below). That'll be "fun" to remove.

This is the floor in the kitchen now, the dining room is the same.

The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)

shazapple

Re: Why stop with the bedroom?

Post by shazapple »

Cool appliances and sewing table! Looks like you have a project ahead of you :wink:

eclecticcottage

Thanks! The treadle base has been sold, it was just too big for that spot. The Floyd Wells (stove) and Norge (fridge) are for sure staying, we had to drive 4 hours round trip for the stove and about 2-2 1/2 for the fridge. But the stove was only $60 and the fridge was $100. Both worked. I LOVE them.

This isn't too bad. We are hoping to take out the floor under the stove and fridge, replace with some nice worn bricks we have and use that wood to patch the hall floor. I am hoping we find the sleepers under the floor were a standard size that we can easily replace so the patch reaches the same height as the original floor. Well, that and we can get that #^%$^ adhesive residue off to the point that you can't really tell the difference between the two-orignally, it all looked the same.

At this point, we still have some drywall to get out in the dining room (it was also effected by the leaking tub) and backer/tiles on the sink backsplash (window leak). Hopefully that will be the last of the inside demo. Then we'll finish pulling new electric, refinish the floors in the dining room and kitchen, put up paneling to cover all the holes and find a backsplash we like for the kitchen. We also still need to find enough knotty pine to finish a wall in the living room, and finish the ceiling in there. And of course, finish the bedroom project we started. Then we need a new roof, patch and paint the siding and replace two yucky (and in bad shape) replacement windows, rebuild a small addition and we should be good. Now that I say that...it sounds like a lot more work than I was thinking we needed to do, lol. Oh well.

lupinfarm

Post by lupinfarm »

Just the typical small list of "To dos and To gets" for an old house owner then ecleticcottage . :lol:
I know all about your cement woes. I had cement 21/2 inches thick on my kitchen floor, it was hiding rotted boards and mold. My P.O.s belonged to the school of " Jack of no trades and Masters of none". There isnt a single thing they haven't tried to
fix with either Duct tape, old shirts, shoe boxes, broken bottles, cardboard and children's toys, plastic bags,coat hangers, Instead of using Insulation bats, Vapor barrier, Plumbers tape and products designed to be used for home repairs. :roll:
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.

eclecticcottage

New (old) floors are going in. These are cleaned and planed barnwood.

this was the before of it

trying to work on the kitchen floors too...

before

after mineral spirits, we want to try a steamer next because the mineral spirits STINK

Drew1910

Post by Drew1910 »

Everything is looking great! Some nice progress :)
1910 Four Square viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30888

eclecticcottage

Thanks! The floor is all in, in the hall now. We have 4 thresholds to deal with (well, at least three). I am hoping to try the steamer this weekend on the kitchen floor. I have my fingers crossed that it works, otherwise it will be next year before we can do anything with all the black yuck and I really don't care to have it uncovered all of that time.

Lupin...you need to post to the PO hall fo fame thread. I think by now you have to either laugh at what you find or cry!

eclecticcottage

working on the floors

some linseed oil, the staining from the water damage is rather dramatic with the oil on it

pretty nice

whoa, water damage

Mr Eclectic is working on the water damaged boards today with a hand sander to see if he can work out some of the staining so it's not quite so noticable.

Obviously it's going to need more than one coat, it is a little blotchy looking still. This doesn't soak it up at all like the living room floor did so I'm brushing on a little at a time so it doesn't just sit and pool up on the top. It was mostly absorbed within an hour this way. We used just BLO this time also, no turpentine mixed in because it's getting to be the time of the year for doors and windows to be closed and we didn't want all the fumes from the turp floating about, especially with the standing pilot on the stove. I think that's contributing to the slow absorbtion as well.

utopia13

Post by utopia13 »

That is a lot of work! Amazing what you've done with the place. I love watching posts like this...watching the (usually painful) transformation from PO mess to old house LOVE!

Oh...and I'm totally envious of your stove & fridge!! :D
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow

eclecticcottage

Thanks! I need to post updated pics.

The dining room floor is done, we need to move the fridge and stove so we can finish the kitchen floor. We ran the new electric in the dining room, SO happy to have power back in that room! Next up is the kitchen. So, we demo'd the tile backsplash (it was already damaged from the window leaking). Found an unexpected surprise there-the Kitchen window, which I thought was original, isn't. Originally, the window was MUCH bigger (framing still in place). They were also creative in running the electric in that room-rather than drill through the studs, they shimmed out the drywall and ran the wires on the outside of the studs. We'll be fixing that-that power is also off now anyway (the fridge is on a dedicated circuit). The tiles will be replaced by faux brick, the floor will have the same treatment as the rest. The fixtures are making me crazy right now. We need a pull fixture in the middle and it's not that easy to find one that I like. The one there now is a vintage style "cut glass" (like clear hobnail) and I really dislike it. I'd like a schoolhouse milk glass globe but I can't find a new pull chain fixture that lists a fitter size so I can't find a globe! I'll have to look next time we're in a store that carries them to see if they stock them, and if I can get a fitter size then.

The hall floors are done and I've ordered wallpaper. I need to decide if I want natural unpainted bead board like the kitchen or painted, because if I'm painting it I'll go the less expensive route and buy the plywood kind. If we decide on unpainted, we'll go for the planks. Decisions, decisions. Same for the dining room-I want bead board partly up the walls. With the unpainted stuff in the kitchen I'm not sure if it will look odd to have it painted in the dining room since they're open to each other. Then again, it's going to be nearly impossible to match the stain from the kitchen, especially since it's at least 20 years old and has also faded. ACK.

Wallpaper for the hall:

I am torn on the dining room between paint and wallpaper above the bead board. It's got a real vintage 1950's vibe so it might be hard to get the right paper, that also doesn't make a small room feel even smaller (it's only about 9x9). I've got a collection of Arthur Singer bird prints from my grandparent's house in oak frames (7 of them) on one wall, some vintage currier and ives prints on another, an enamel top table...I thought about this toile, but then I am thinking it might be too much pattern and overwhelm the place:

I will probably go with paint, but I just hate plain walls, lol. Not ONE wall in our old house was not covered in either wallpaper or paneling!