The PO "hall of fame"

Here is where you can show off the pictures of your old home.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

eclecticcottage

The PO "hall of fame"

Post by eclecticcottage »

I thought it would be fun to round up some of the "WTH" things PO's have done to our homes in one thread. Cautionary tales for potential buyers of older homes and humor for those of us that have been there, done that.

I can just imagine the pics and stories that can be posted here. I'll start with one of our more recent finds, but I have plenty of them!

The tub leaked. We're guessing for something like 20 years, based on when certain "upgrades" were done. Anyway, this leak caused significant damage to the wood floors (good thing we're on a slab or someone would have gone through the floor). Apparently at some point, someone found this rot. Did they fix the leak? No...they just added more silicone and drywalled up the plumbing. Did they fix the floor? Well...you tell me.

That is concrete, or quick set. Yup. They poured concrete into the damaged portion of the floor.
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)

eclecticcottage

Re: The PO "hall of fame"

No one else?

Here, this was hidden in a wall behind a faux switch plate. We have no idea what it was for. Yes, it's dead now. Great wood working skillz

Some of the trim work between the hall and the kitchen/dining room. This one has always been a thing that makes us go hmmm. Woodworking fail.

And from below...

sooth

Post by sooth »

Hahaha, nice.

I have some pretty good ones too. But not nearly as bad. The issues with my house were mainly cosmetic things. It was a boarding house for a while, then rented as a duplex (even though it's designed as a single family home).

Y'know, like poorly installed duct work...

A really awful bathroom (nice caulking job):

Horribly installed (and the absolute cheapest of the cheap) laminate...

Ruined original doors :(

ETC...

Thankfully things are slowly starting to look a lot better:

Yes this is the same bathroom!

Other before/afters:

JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/

r3venton

Post by r3venton »

Hahahahah oh man. Ill have to take some pics. I have knob and tube going into 40 year old wire with modern romex connected to that in some PO hall of fame "wine cellar" in the basement that they then insulated walls with no moisture barrier from outside and an empty window with a piece of plywood fit inside that leaked to no end and turned the room into a moldy mess. Jist awful work. They also completely ignored dry rot from some poorly installed pipes and just covered it all up. Done in 2005, they sold it in 07, I bought it at the end of august 2012.

Here is a beauty since im posting from my phone. In the attic, live knob tube feeding the whole house fan and the master bedroom ceiling fan controller gets power from the electric cord plugged into an outlet on the whole house fan.

Civil War Seamstress

Post by Civil War Seamstress »

I am so surprised this thread doesn't have 102 pages to it yet!! I could scare the lead paint off your walls with the stuff that stupid so-and-so PO did to my house....or in the case of the termite beam DIDN'T do to the house he should have. When I dig some up I will ad to this... and R3venton, yep we found the same thing with the romex and the K&T... except some one disconnected it but my electrician was betting knowing the drunken weasels who did most of the reno in the house prior to us, probably left the wire live - he tested it...it was dead...
"If everything is coming your way....you're in the Wrong Lane!"

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/Wackyshack/

utopia13

Post by utopia13 »

Oh, we have a thread like this that was started almost 3 years ago.

Some very ....um...creative things were done by some of the most....uninformed PO's ever!

Now...for your reading pleasure, I have for you, "The PO Follies"!!!
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22166&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=follies
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow

eclecticcottage

Ok, well, we're digging into the Old House now, to get it ready to become a rental. I've got a few additions.

This is an outlet box. It is filled with drywall compound.

This *WAS* a live wire when we bought the place. about a year after we bought it, we had all new wire run.

This leads into an exterior chimney. This was buried in the wall, with a little drywall in it. When we bought the house, there was a gravity heater in the floor, that was hooked to the same chimney. Yes, venting into a chimney with a hole that lead into the wall. We used the gravity heater for about 2 years.