Possibly related: rodents and dead animal smell in wall

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Possibly related: rodents and dead animal smell in wall

Postby cberhomengarden on Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:24 pm

I can only add that I'm not a fan of the glue traps either. Our old apt super gave them to us and a mouse got stuck on it and in frustration ate away its ankles to free itself! It was disgusting to find. Plus after all that the mouse was still stuck & still alive!
Something else that seemed to help was catnip. We didn't have a cat at the time. However, we left sachets of catnip around and sprinkled loose catnip in hard to reach places (behind the stove). It seemed to work. It's not expensive and doesn't smell bad. Just an idea.
Carolyn
cberhomengarden

Postby melissakd on Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:57 pm

My Glue Trap Story:
It was midwinter and a mouse made off with one of the soap scraps in my kitchen soap dish. Set glue trap on countertop, didn't have to wait long. The culprit was stuck by its fur. I gingerly pushed the trap off the kitchen counter into a brown paper sack and deposited it in the dumpster, weeping all the way, and telling myself that freezing to death is just like going to sleep and never waking. The roughest part was when, during the set-up, I got the glue trap stuck to my arm. I guess there are gentler ones, but this one was very difficult to pull off; it clearly wanted to take MY hide with it.

My Dead Animal Story:
The crawl space under the kitchen is inaccessible, and sure enough, something died under there. The smell was such that there was no question about what it must be, though we never saw anything. We stayed upstairs with the bedroom door shut for three weeks...but then the smell went away. Thanks, predators and insects!

:)
MelissaKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby downtowndahlgren on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:16 am

This is just my very humble opinion, but I think glue traps are atrocious. I wouldn't even use one for roaches if I had them (thanks heavens, NOT). They just torture creatures that, while unwanted, deserve at least a quick death. And, btw, I have very well-fed house cats. But the one time a mouse got inside, my oldest 16-yr old quickly dispatched it!
downtowndahlgren

Postby Lynners on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:09 pm

We have a bit of a mouse problem, too, although it's not so bad this year. We had wheat in the fields around us, and it was combined early summer when it was still warm.

Last fall/winter was a different story. There were soybeans in the 100 acres around us, and they weren't combined until mid-October. Once the fields are combined and the cold weather hits, the mice are in! We had just moved in, and were throwing stuff everywhere. I just so happened to stuff a bag of dog food into the basement on a shelf. STUPID! I wasn't thinking, clearly.

The mice ate the ENTIRE 17 pound bag of food. Well that's not true. They had hidden away quite a bit in a double brick wall in the basement that is too narrow to get a vaccuum nozzle into (they've finished eating it now). The mice were so fat that they looked like hampsters, and when they attempted to run away from the cat, they had to stop and catch their breath. Sad.

We keep the basement door open all winter so that the cat can go down and hunt. We keep snap traps in the kitchen drawers, and all of our food in the lower cupboards is kept in sealed plastic or glass containers. They did eat the plastic label off of our canola oil for some reason, though. Crazy scavengers. I won't use bait, because I'm worried the chemicals will affect the dog and the cat if they happened to eat a dead/dying mouse.

If one gets caught in the trap and is still alive, I have my farm raised boyfriend stomp on it. Gruesome, perhaps, but house mice have a 100 m radius home range, and if you just put them outside, they'll come back. Also I'd rather the cat not tortue an already injured and in pain creature before she kills/eats it.

Also, if you have a cat/dog who eats mice, be prepared for them to have tape worms!
The Carson Farmhouse, 1899
Minesing, Ontario, Canada
http://www.firsthomedreams.com
Lynners

Postby angolito on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:02 pm

i have found still alive mice cut nearly in half in snap traps. dead is dead is dead whether by glue , trap or being stomped.
angolito

Postby timallen on Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:12 pm

At our house, it is the cat who brings the (live) mice inside! Then she plays with them and hunts them in the house as they scurry for cover under a radiator or behind some furniture. One that she had mortally wounded ended up under our bed where we didn't discover it until the putrefying smell was so bad I couldn't sleep!

We've rigged her cat-door in a way that she can't open it with anything in her mouth now. (Well, we locked it so should could go out but not come back in, so she's figured out how to jimmy the lock with her claws, but can't do it with a mouse in mouth).

In the old house that we are renovating now, the mice and squirrels had set up a whole condominium complex under the kitchen cabinets. We found the dried up skeletal remains of a mouse on top of the dishwasher when we pulled that out -- killed by poision. Not sure how the former human residents of the house would have been able to prepare food and eat in that kitchen with the smell that must have emanated from that putrefying carcass!
multiple old houses: 1780, 1870, 1948, 1987 (all at the same time)
timallen

Postby downtowndahlgren on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:43 am

I'm curious about mice being killed by using poison baits smelling up the house. I thought D-Con used something that made the blood kind of dry up when the mouse died. I used D-con when I lived in a century-old row house in Baltimore. My apt had mice running above the drop ceiling kitchen lights (very annoying when you're trying to sleep). I put D-Con bait up there and when they died, pulled their shriveled corpses out (major ick!) - BUT, there was never any smell. Maybe I got to them too quickly for them to smell, but they honestly seemed just like mummies. BTW, Angolito, I agree that there is really no humane way to kill them. Most of the new traps just conceal the killing from the homeowner.
downtowndahlgren

Postby angolito on Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:37 pm

if someone will be my photo elf i have the perfect illustration of this topic i can post. i am photosharing challenged, but its on kodak gallery. :D i can email it to you and yu can post it for me, lucky YOU.
angolito

Postby PowerMuffin on Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:23 pm

In CA the rats are taking over and my mother and my sister both had them in the walls, which is pretty common. My sister found a ultrasonic noise emitter thingy - like this one:
http://www.electronicpestcontrolpro.com ... TAod6UKm-g

She has dogs and they were not affected by it. It emits a high pitched sound that the rodents don't like. The rats left after one day and have never came back.
Diane
PowerMuffin

Postby denialbenz on Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:33 am

If you don't want the critters into your storage, kitchen pantry and sleeping areas, then you should take pest control service.This will helpful to get rid of rodents.
denialbenz

Previous

Return to General Discussions Forum