SPAMMY THREADS

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Does it alert me to the presence of SPAM?

Hark! It goes off as we speak!
Every man must have a purpose to strive for
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because
A Man without a Dream is Dead

http://fromthedoolhousetothedoghouse.blogspot.com/

barrett

it really does work!

Post by barrett »

i recently bought a hyip monitor for my wood panelled and shag carpeted rec room with a drop ceiling, and it does a good job of monitoring my hyip. i can highly recommend this product if you have hyip problems.

since i bought this, the ladies find me irrestible, i can breathe better, and my car get 50 miles per gallon! it also straightened all of the crooked walls in my house! and i will never have to glaze my windows again! simply AMAZING!

The Gingerbread Man

Post by The Gingerbread Man »

uh yeah.....
my hyppi itchie goga
mixed with tequila ids frantastil
(all power equip is tuyrned off) :shock:

jbtac

Post by jbtac »

You guys (and gals!) on this site are soooo funny! Do you think that this hyip thing might make me look 10 years younger and my rear end 10 pounds lighter?

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Even if it don't-mix it with some sloe gin and you won't care!
Every man must have a purpose to strive for
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because
A Man without a Dream is Dead

http://fromthedoolhousetothedoghouse.blogspot.com/

Danno

Post by Danno »

Had to google HYIP, never heard of it. Glad to have found it though, now I can buff the paint swirles off of my sun-damaged car!

oldhouse
Site Admin

Post by oldhouse »

Hey all. The absolute best way to deal with spam threads like these is to resist any and all impulse to respond to them.

We scan the site several times daily for unanswered threads -- and promptly delete spam threads, like this one, when we find them. They are easy to find - and quick to delete - when nobody has answered them.

Obviously, though, we can't (and won't and don't) read every thread, nor every post.

So again, if you want spam posts to disappear as quickly and efficiently as possible, DON'T answer them!!!
The Old House Web

barrett

Post by barrett »

oh but replying to them can be soooo much fun!

seriously, what harm can come from replying? do the original posters check the replies? i think you should leave them up for us to mock, just remove the link.

and do you seriously remove posts with no replies?! please don't ban me, my screen name should have been devilsadvocate.

barrett

rrobinson720

Post by rrobinson720 »

barrett wrote:seriously, what harm can come from replying? do the original posters check the replies? i think you should leave them up for us to mock, just remove the link.

and do you seriously remove posts with no replies?! please don't ban me, my screen name should have been devilsadvocate.
I'm pretty sure he only deletes the spam posts, and it is much easier to delete them if no one has replied. By responding to the spam threads, you are creating more work for the admin of the board.

signed,
former admin of a phpBB group.

oldhouse
Site Admin

Post by oldhouse »

barrett wrote:oh but replying to them can be soooo much fun!

seriously, what harm can come from replying? barrett
The harm is that it becomes much more of a needle-in-the-haystack expedition to find and delete these spammy posts -- and yes, I delete spammy threads when I find them, including your replies.

If folks resist replying to this junk, these posts then show up in a list of unaswered posts that I can scan in a second or 2. Once people respond, they then can become quite quickly buried in the boards.

(Hope I've explained myself adequately!)
The Old House Web