Shoe Molding Paint or Stain?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: TinaB, Don M, Schag, oldhouse

Shoe Molding Paint or Stain?

Postby ammarie » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:38 am

Starting to refinishing red oak wood floors in 1939 house. Base trim will be off-white. Floor color will be a medium oak stain. Do you paint the shoe molding to match the base molding or use same species as floor and stain to match? I could not find any good close up pictures online.
ammarie

Postby tammylovesroses » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:31 am

We had a discussion about this on a decorating board. I believe the consensus was it was all personal preference.

I had always had the shoe moulding the same color/or stain as the baseboards. BUT...in my brother's new house, his shoe moulding was stained like the floors (dark wood) and the baseboards are white.

Then, another guy who has a high end home has the same thing as my brother but his floors are much lighter in color.

To me, having the shoe moulding stained and the baseboards painted, made the baseboards appear to be floating. BUT...I can see the practicality in having the shoe moulding the same as the floors - less scuffing and appearance of dirt.
Tammy

tammylovesroses

Postby rrobinson720 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:34 am

In my limited knowledge of the issue, painting the shoe moulding is the more "classic" way, and staining it is more modern. I see the appeal in both ways. But since I've got very old heart pine floors, I'm not sure that I'd be able to figure out the right stain to match the floors. So when it's time, I'm probably going to go with paint.
rrobinson720

Return to General Discussions Forum