Ooooo, Google Sketchup is so cool.

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Ooooo, Google Sketchup is so cool.

Postby Schag on Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:58 pm

Look what I did in about 30 minutes.

I made a mockup of what my shed will look like when I build my greenhouse onto it.

Existing shed: It was actually built as a small "home" for the original owners maid/servent. It's big enough for a bedroom and has the remains of a bathroom. Unfortunatly, it has been allowed to fall into ruin over the years and is in danger of falling down.

Here's what is will look like when I build on. What I plan on doing is building a recycled greenhouse. I'll take sliding glass doors and use those for the roof, and discarded storm windows for the sides. I'll be rebuilding the shed and building the greenhouse addition on top of the concrete parking pad that is in the left side of the above pictures.

Now, if I could just marry the images together to see what my yard would look like after it gets built.
Also, I'm picking up 80 concrete blocks this weekend. Only costing me $30. :shock:
Schag

Postby Greg on Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:44 pm

Wow, that's pretty cool. Was this the proposed green house project that brought up some permit issues several months back? If so, what did you decide?
Greg

Postby Sombreuil_Mongrel on Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:52 pm

Don't use the sliders in the roof unless you're certain that they are tempered safety glass. I'd hate the thought of you, your family or a guest being cut to ribbons if one of the "free" skylights were to shatter. Even if they are tempered probably not a bad idea to have film put on them to make them shatterproof.
Casey
Sombreuil_Mongrel

Postby Tujo on Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:27 am

I love sketchup. It just doesn't seem to love my roofline. Your drawing looks great though!
Tujo

Postby Schag on Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:59 am

Yes, this is the greenhouse the I had questions about permits for.
I've decided to hold off on thinking about permits and just collect the materials.

Sliding glass doors are tempered, so not worried about that.
My biggest worry is how to seal the roof to the windows to keep water out.
Any ideas?
Schag

Postby Greg on Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:08 pm

I've been looking at this 3M product for sealing areas in the bathroom. This sealant and some flashing should do the job.

3M 5200 Marine Adhesive Sealant
Greg

Postby Jeanne on Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:04 pm

Schag,
I look forward to seeing the results of this great idea of yours. I've got an eyesore of an outbuilding, but your greenhouse idea is inspiring me to think of it differently. I used to think if only I was a smoker I could 'accidentally' torch it, but now I see hope for it. Thanks!

Will you be curb shopping or do you know some contractors who will set aside old windows for you?

Jeanne
Jeanne

Postby Schag on Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:11 am

Jeanne,
I'll be getting the windows and sliding glass doors from a window contractor.
They replace old sliding glass doors and have to take them to the dump, so better give them to me than pay to take the to the dump.
I'll be getting the bricks for the floor by buying mis-matched rements from local builders and brick sellers.

Don't hold your breath though on seeing the final product.
It'll probably be another year before I can gather all the materials together.
I'm trying to do this on the extreamly cheap end. If not free.
Schag

Postby HB on Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:25 pm

schag, to seal the windows to the roof I would build UP the window openings and then frame the windows separately so they fit over the openings like caps.

Sort of like the top of a shoe box fits over the bottom of the shoebox.

Good Luck.

HB
HB

Postby Schag on Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:58 pm

HB, that makes sense, but then I'd be left trying to figure out how to attach the sliding glass door to that framing.

I'm thinking about just gobbing on the silicon and hoping for the best.
Schag

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum