dcsimg

How to stop the cold air flow in these spots?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

How to stop the cold air flow in these spots?

Postby Abuela on Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:19 pm

I'm supposed to be working from home today, but house stuff is just so much more appealing to me than Linux labs and Access project grading.

Since we're supposed to get the coldest temps of the year tonight, I walked around for a bit looking for places where I could really feel the cold air coming in. What surprised and puzzled me is that I found that I'm getting a huge amount of cold air pouring through gaps between the wood floors and the sill of two of my three exterior doors (third has tile, and no air flowing in). The reason I'm so puzzled is that my crawlspace is now fully insulated plus has tyvek tacked up under the insulation, so why would there be so much air flow at these locations? And the air is definitely coming through those gaps, not from under the door.

here's a pic to help you see what I mean:

For both doors, the cold air is pouring in through the gap between the wood floors and the newer sill.

First of all, does anyone have a clue as to why air would pour in here if it's insulated and covered with tyvek under the house?!?

And second, what could I put in or on there that wouldn't look bad, and that wouldn't be a PITA if I ever wanted to, for example, replace the sill or refinish the floors?

Right now I just put folded throw rugs on top of them.
"Finished" is all a state of mind. ~Angolito

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

My house journal: http://retrovation.blogspot.com/
Abuela

Postby mross_pitt on Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:58 pm

Using clear caulking between the last floorboard and the door sill would work.

Are the doors slightly higher than the porch or entrance area?
Is the door sill sealed nicely on the exterior?
mross_pitt

Return to General Discussions Forum