dcsimg

Kid playhouse roofing

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Kid playhouse roofing

Postby brianm18 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:20 pm

Could someone suggest what to do . I am putting shingles on a kid play house but with a roof low enough that the kids could touch how do I nail the shingles without the nail heads sticking thru the plywood and creating danger to the kids? Brian
brianm18

Postby Jeebs » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:27 pm

I'd try a staple gun, but if they didn't hold well I'd be tempted to put on another sheet of plywood (depending on how huge the playhouse is).
Jeebs

Postby houblon » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:33 pm

I put the nails into the rafters only (2x3). And I used plenty of roofing tar to make good for the smaller number of nails. So far it survived the N easter...

Barney
houblon

Postby Iowa4Square » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:52 pm

This brings to mind a funny story. We got a little "Victorian" playhouse kit for the girls a few years ago. I used staples and standard 3 tab shingles. The next spring we had a massive hailstorm - I mean, plum sized hailstones. It ruined most of the roofs on our side of town. We had our roof redone over the course of three days. The second morning, I looked outside and saw some shingles torn off the playhouse. I figured the ornery kid across the alley had done it. When I got back later in the day, it was reroofed with 30 year shingles that matched our house! The contractor came over and said, "Umm, did I agree to reroof that?" Turns out his guys figured it was part of the job, so they went ahead with it. They even put aluminum flashing on the "eaves"! At least he didn't charge us for it. Now it has a roof that will last three times as long as the playhouse itself.

To get back to your question, if even staples poke through, you could use a few ceiling tiles or sheets of styrofoam to fit against the inside of the roof.
1909 Colonial Revival Foursquare
Iowa4Square

Postby Skruffy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:35 am

Iowa4Square wrote:To get back to your question, if even staples poke through, you could use a few ceiling tiles or sheets of styrofoam to fit against the inside of the roof.

Well, there's always the option of getting current tetanus shots and not worrying about it. <g>
Skruffy

Postby jeepnstein » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:36 am

The last playhouse I did I just used 3/4 inch pine shelving boards. At the time, 12 inch shelving grade boards priced out about the same as plywood sheeting if you figured it by the square foot. I've got no clue how it prices now. It gave the inside a nice look on the inside after a bit of polyurethane and I could roof with 5/8 inch nails with no problem. Don't forget drip edge, even on a play house.

J.
"Pure Stinking Genius, that's what that is. Hey, can someone get me a fire extinguisher?"
jeepnstein

Re: Kid playhouse roofing

Postby albert147 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:01 am

brianm18 wrote:Could someone suggest what to do . I am putting shingles on a kid play house but with a
Top commercial roofing low enough that the kids could touch how do I nail the shingles without the nail heads sticking thru the plywood and creating danger to the kids? Brian

Hello Brian,
You can use a Staple gun for it. It will be safe no any sharp thing will come out of the roof or you can go through a professional roofing service that is a little bit expensive. So now the choice is yours...
albert147

Return to General Discussions Forum