Crown Molding with Pciture Molding

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

carolannesp

Crown Molding with Pciture Molding

Post by carolannesp »

Hi there,

I have 9 foot ceilings and want to install picture molding 1 foot from the ceiling. With paint up to the picture molding. Is is common to have crown molding above that? Where the wall meets the ceiling? Or do you have one ore the other? Can anyone direct me to some pictures?

Thank you,

Carol Anne

raymanretro

Post by raymanretro »

Yes it is common to use crown with picture rail, picture rail by itself will probably look off balance. :)

S Melissa

Post by S Melissa »

It depends on if you have cove ceilings or square ceilings to the walls. If you have cove, then typically crown isn't used. If you have walls at right angles to the ceiling, then crown will work in conjunction with picture railings. I've seen many examples of 1920's type housing with just the picture moulding - it is a matter of taste - but both are acceptable.
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home

Schag

Post by Schag »

All of our rooms have picture molding, but now crown.

angolito

Post by angolito »

schag, damn i love your living room. that built in and fireplace is so comfy and warm. i really love the wayward girl, but my heart just really belongs to your home.

did you mean that you kept the picture railing and added a crown with it? that would look great.....so......where are the photos?

we had just the picture rail in our 1920 fl bungalow.

al_roethlisberger

Post by al_roethlisberger »

I think the question has been answered sufficiently, but I am in a random post-reply mood this morning :roll:

My parent's house, ca 1920ish, has picture rail only, installed about an inch below the ceiling.

Our current house, ca 1929, has picture rail only in most rooms, but has both picture rail and crown(well sorta, the ceilings are coved/beamed) as well. So we have both.

I think it is perfectly acceptable either way, and looks fine BTW.

Now, let's start an argument about whether you paint the space above the rail the color of the wall or ceiling!! *laugh* :roll:

Al
Lewis D. Isenhour House
http://www.isenhourhouse.com

oldhouseluvr

Post by oldhouseluvr »

Carol Anne - why do you want to add picture rail? Why not just keep it as original - at least if its an old house? We considered adding picture rail when we bought our old house, but never got around to it. Now I'm glad that we didn't.

Schag

Post by Schag »

angolito, that should have been "we have picture molding but no crown molding."

raymanretro

Post by raymanretro »

Beautiful rooms Shag! It looks fine with out crown which gives me an idea of how to deal with a ceiling thats sagged to much to put up crown. Thanks for the pics. :)

Vlada

Post by Vlada »

Hey Schag,

Is that red room your dining room? Red is one of my favorite wall colors. We have a red kitchen, red guest bedroom, and master bedroom. I love that Chinese calligraphy thing. It looks as though you have some nice antique furniture. You have good taste.
1900 Eclectic Victorian

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb311/Zeatiex/

All truth is paradox.