Old House, Huge Barn, 12 acres in Neb - 150K

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

trail2peace

Old House, Huge Barn, 12 acres in Neb - 150K

Post by trail2peace »

I don't know if this is ok to do, but we looked at this property and loved it, but already have way too many projects, so I thought I'd post the pictures I took on the web and maybe someone who loves old houses and barns will buy it. I'm not in any way connected financially to it being sold, just like to see properties cared for. The 12 acres is beautiful rolling hills, all fenced, perfect for horses. It's about 5 miles from Fairbury, NE, near the little blue river.

More pictures, including the door hardware and barn, at http://the-park-school.org/farm.htm

Sherri

Don M

Post by Don M »

The house looks solid but needs to be un-muddled! :shock: The barn also looks straight & solid but it too needs a lot of work with new roof etc. The price is right for someone who doesn't need to be near a big city for a job. Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse

trail2peace

Post by trail2peace »

Yes, needs unmuddling and lots of work, but the bones are solid. We think they may have done some work on the basement since there was recent grading around one side of the house, but from what we could see things looked tight and dry down there. The wraparound porch is concrete. The barn structure is very solid and it is huge. New roof / siding will be a lot of work, but there was a bunch of new metal roofing sitting inside the barn. There are also assorted beautiful old doors and other house/farm parts. The price may be a little high for the area. We have tried offering 75% of asking price for other properties in this area and in some cases they took it and in other cases made a counter offer. The owners have been fixing things up to try to get it sold, and may be muddling rather than improving the situation from an old house lover's point of view. This is located 1 hour from Lincoln and 2 hours from Omaha which are both growing like crazy. Fairbury is not yet growing and is a very sweet little town with brick paver streets throughout the town, 2 great parks, a lake, trails, the river, rolling green hills. We fell in love with it and are gradually moving there from CA. I can work remotely over the internet and my husband is theoretically a full-time restoration person. Right now he mostly mows lawns.

beachbons

Post by beachbons »

my husband is theoretically a full-time restoration person. Right now he mostly mows lawns.
Thanks for the chuckle!!

moneymgt

Post by moneymgt »

OMG I'm drooling. Do you know how little $150k buys you in Michigan? I'd love to show you pics of my house but now I'm embarassed compared to this! I have 1000sf on a 40x100' lot. How far is it to Nebraska from here?????

trail2peace

Post by trail2peace »

Yahoo maps says it is 862.1 miles and 12 hrs from Detroit to Fairbury, NE. That's a lot closer than CA. My husband has family in eastern Nebraska. If not for that I never would have gone there, but now I can't resist the beautiful houses at prices you can't believe. It's worth a trip.

trail2peace

Post by trail2peace »

Here are some links to some other awesome old houses for sale in Fairbury.

http://www.schultis.com/907_4th_st.htm

http://www.schultis.com/924_4th_st.htm

http://www.gaston-realestate.com/view_r ... asp?ID=616

These are the fancier houses, but there's lots more modest or messed up houses for sale for less.

Schag

Post by Schag »

Sherri,
How big is Fairbury? Population?
What are the job opportunities like?
It's not all country hick cow tipping, right? :wink:

trail2peace

Post by trail2peace »

Fairbury is the county seat of Jefferson County so it has a courthouse and town square (where our bank is). The population is about 4000 people. There's not a lot of high wage jobs, but the high speed internet works great. They have a new high school and a new super Walmart. They have auctions almost every weekend that are a lot of fun. I bought an old wood 6 panel door that didn't even need stripping and a 4' antique mirror for $5 each.
Beatrice is a bigger town, about 20 miles away, and then Lincoln is about an hour and has a Home Depot and Lowe's.

There are some more pictures of the town and properties we are trying to fix up at
http://the-park-school.org

daina

Post by daina »

Hey guys. I'm a big city girl that relocated to Nebraska. I love it here. ----Something to think about. :)