dcsimg
Switch to full style
Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.
Post a reply

My All-Metal House is Rusting!

Mon Mar 01, 1999 7:30 pm

I am in search of information regarding a home that my parents built and I have inherited. It was built in 1948-1950 and is an entirely metal house. I have heard of a few of them in different parts of the country. There are only 4 or 5 in central Indiana that I am aware of.

My house (which is currently a rental) has had some water damage which has caused rust on doors in the home. I need to find out where I can get information regarding what to do with the rust and what I can do to do that will not look "fixed". My mother told me years ago that you could not paint the walls because it would take no paint.

She also told me the ceilings have a porcelain finish on them and therefore cannot be painted either.

Any information you might have or know of in this regard would be greatly appreciated!

Karen Abernathy

Re: My All-Metal House is Rusting!

Mon Mar 01, 1999 7:31 pm

Karen and I have trade e-mails on this subject since her posting, and she is sending us pictures of her house. Once we receive them, we'll scan the pictures and post them in this space.

I don't know about anyone else, but I want to get a look at this house -- and once I do, I think we can all give her some help.

In the meantime, if anyone has ever had experience with an all metal house, please tell us about it!

Ken Holmes

These houses were a subject of an article with photos in either Popular Magazine or Popular Mechanics 4-7 years ago. Try calling both publishers.

Rusting doors is no problem, nor is painting porcelain with the proper bonding primer - the same used to paint ceramic tile.

Sorry. That was Popular Science magazine, not Popular Magazine.

Mon Mar 01, 1999 7:32 pm

The majority of these are Lustron houses. It was a post war attempt at converting the war industries to domestic use - and the housing shortage. A friend lived in one in Hamden Connecticut; another in the South Bend area. Just drove past a few in Aurora, IL, the other day. OHJ did an article on these a few years back. Try autobody products for repair.

Thu Mar 11, 1999 12:40 am

I have a web site devoted to Carl Strandlund's Post WWII, prefabricated, porcelain enamel on steel home, the LUSTRON House. I have added pictures and some of the text from the Lustron Companie's own line of pamphlets and brochures. This is a great, great home, and deserves more recognition than it has ever received.

I hope you stop by my web site:

http://members.tripod.com/~Strandlund/index.html
Post a reply