dcsimg

Water stains on maple floor

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Water stains on maple floor

Postby Pam on Thu Mar 04, 1999 10:52 pm

We are renovating the kitchen in our 1900 house. We removed old linoleum, luan, tar paper and then gobs of tar from the maple floor. Now we have a new problem. There is a 4x4 area (aprox) of water damaged floor. The wood itself seems to be in pretty good condition, but there is alot of discoloration. We would rather not replace the wood, because we're afraid we could never match the "old" appearance of the wood. Any solutions? What about bleaching, how is this done?

tpale5@qconline.com
Pam

Re: Water stains on maple floor

Postby Ken Holmes on Fri Mar 05, 1999 12:02 am

If for some reason you're trying to avoid sanding the floors, The National Wood Flooring Association suggests dampening a cloth with a 50/50 mixture of household bleach & water, laying the cloth on the stain for 30 minutes -- and then letting the surface dry.

But seeing as how you're dealing with such a large area of discoloration, on a floor that had so much other gunk over it, I'd guess you're probably planning to sand and refinish your floors. If so, sanding will probably take the stain out.

Of course, the key word in the previous sentence is "probably." From personal experience with lots of old maple floors, I can tell you that maple is a hard, hard surface -- and that most stains only penetrate it a fraction of an inch. If, on the other hand, you can see noticeably wider gaps between the pieces of flooring in the area of the stain as opposed to the rest of the floor, then it 's possible that the stained area stayed wet for a long time. If that's the case, even sanding may not take out the stains along the outside edges of the affected boards.

In the end, then, it's impossible to give a definitive answer without getting a look at your floor. But resanding will probably do the trick.

Good luck, and let me know if I've answered your question fully. Anyone else care to share any wood-floor tips?

Ken Holmes

The Old House Web

kholmes@mail.oldhouseweb.com
Ken Holmes

Return to General Discussions Forum