dcsimg

Wheelchair scrapes in door frames

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Wheelchair scrapes in door frames

Postby Phyllis on Sun Mar 28, 1999 5:25 pm

My husband is in a wheelchair and has difficulty with his vision. How can we protect our door frames, cabinets and etc?

gerphy@worldnet.att.net
Phyllis

Re: Wheelchair scrapes in door frames

Postby Ken Holmes on Mon Mar 29, 1999 9:38 pm

Phyllis,

There are so many places that a wheelchair might bump into that I wonder if the solution might be to install some sort of self-adhering foam padding of some sort to the spots on the wheelchair that protrude the most, or are the sharpest and most likely to cause damage. Also, if there were a particular door frame or two that was taking the brunt of the bumps, I wonder if you could install the same type of clear plastic edging used to protect outside corners on walls that have been wallpapered.

Anyone else have an idea or two to add to this?
Ken Holmes

Postby Jim on Mon Mar 29, 1999 10:01 pm

We did the route of clear plastic edging in the home of one of my relatives. Unfortunately, the doorways (in this case) are barely wide enough to accomodate the wheelchair so the idea of "padding" the chair wouldn't work. You'd never get through the door! The plastic edging prevents the brunt ot the scrapes though sometimes the chair pulls the edging right off the wall! Depends on the driver I guess! Still, plastic ediging has worked out as a reasonable, unobstrusive solution for us.

Jim

koepfler@gis.net
Jim

Postby Pedroash on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:14 am

We too faced the similar problem, Yeah its true, plastic ediging worked out as a reasonable, unobstrusive solution .
Pedroash

Return to General Discussions Forum