Toilet Rough in Adaptor

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: TinaB, Don M, Schag, oldhouse

Toilet Rough in Adaptor

Postby Albuquerque_Rod » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:09 am

Hello all, new to the forum, but glad it exists. Just purchased an older condo, second floor with a cement sub floor. The previous owner replaced the toilet with a 10" rough in toilet, makes sense since it's a small bathroom. However, the rough in is 15.5 inches and the existing toilet sits ~4.5 inches away from the wall. I've figured a toilet with a 14" rough in should make things look more "normal", but haven't had any luck finding a smaller toilet with a 14" rough in. I did however find a "rough in adapter" :

http://www.faucetdepot.com/faucetdepot/ ... eID=411Web

However, I am not sure how well this adapter will work, or if it will work with all, most, some, or few toilets. So my question is this; Does anybody out there have one of these installed? Are they worth the expense? Ease of install? Toilet modifications? any other info?

Thank you all and I truly appreciate your input.

-Rod
Albuquerque_Rod

Postby dpsours » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:09 am

Your post caught my eye because I screwed up the measurement for the rough in in our new bathroom. We have an antique toilet that needs a 14-inch rough in, and I measured and specified it as 12-inch. So now we can't use the toilet in there.

Looking at that adaptor, it appears to me you would need to build a platform for your toilet to sit on. Maybe I'm missing something, though.
1887 Octagon
dpsours

Postby lee polowczuk » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:24 am

Nearly all professional plumbers will give a big down to the adapter.

You can special order 14 inch rough in toilets. Just like you can special order 10 inch rough in toilets. About 30 percent more.... but in the scheme of things, not a huge overall expense
lee polowczuk

Postby jeepnstein » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:39 am

It seems to me that the adapter is more work than doing the job right. You'd have to raise the floor which would create more of a problem than just ordering a 14 inch toilet.

When you say "small" ten incher, do you mean an RV fixture? Just how small is this bathroom? I can't recall the measurements but plumbing codes and good work practices dictate that you have so much space on either side and to the front of a toilet. Did somebody just pull a fast one on this condo?

Good Luck,

J.
jeepnstein

Toilet issues

Postby Albuquerque_Rod » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:13 pm

First of all, I'd like to thank everybody for their input. :) The bathroom is 5ft wide and the door barely misses the existing toilet. I would like to get a "small" toilet, one the is less that 27 inches in length (front to back) in order to have a bit more turning room. The tub sits on one end and a large sink on the other. I've gone ahead an purchased a 26inch replacement sink, in order to get more room and still have a bit of storage, as well as a replacement tub, as the existing one's surface is pretty chipped. I agree that a special order 14"rough in toilet would be the way to go, but I am not sure if I will be able to find one in the range of a "cadet III" or so. But I am still looking.

-Rod
Albuquerque_Rod

Postby lee polowczuk » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:36 pm

i special ordered a Cadet 3 10 inch rough in.... it was a great decision....

flushes like a charm.. i also have a regular 12 inch rough in Cadet 3 in the attic..... was an old maids area...

love the Cadet 3...
lee polowczuk

Cadet 3

Postby Albuquerque_Rod » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:16 pm

Do you know if they make the Cadet 3 with a 14" rough in???
Albuquerque_Rod

Postby lee polowczuk » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:03 am

I am fairly certain they do.... you can special order from Home Depot
lee polowczuk

Postby jeepnstein » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:27 am

Yeah, I have one in 14 inch. It's a long story and I'm not sure to this day how I roughed in the drain the way I did. The hard part was explaining to my wife that yes, they did indeed make a toilet that would fit. That was one of the darkest days of our pre-move remodel.

J.
jeepnstein

Postby catya » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:22 am

I have an adapter on a toilet in a 4' wide bathroom because the only toilets I could find with the 14" rough in size had bowls that stuck out too far. This bathroom is so narrow that even an extra inch or 2 was a problem, we needed all the leg room we could get.

I was told it would clog more easily with the adapter but its been working OK. I think if you can avoid it, you should, but if you have to use it it isn't the end of the world.
catya

Return to General Discussions Forum