dcsimg

spooks

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

spooks

Postby drew in baltimore on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:44 pm

Know it's a long way off to Halloween, when this topic usually surfaces...

but...

what does everyone do to ward off their unwanted house guests, and I don't mean the living ones?
Drew in Baltimore

1847 Greek Revival rowhouse in Baltimore
http://home.earthlink.net/~cathedralhill/id3.html
drew in baltimore

Postby nathanaelgreene on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:55 pm

contact the first available Shrink and ask for a prescription for lithium!
Rescue, Restore and Reuse.
nathanaelgreene

Postby toddinny on Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:23 pm

See my post of what I did in the Hangout forum. And I am not Catholic - but my SO is....

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/newBB/topic-16040-20.shtml
toddinny

Postby drew in baltimore on Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:30 pm

nathanaelgreene wrote:contact the first available Shrink and ask for a prescription for lithium!

So I should recommend to all the people who keep telling me my house is haunted that they are depressed and should take lithium?

I would have any friends left after that.
Drew in Baltimore

drew in baltimore

Postby oldhouseluvr on Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:50 pm

Drew - if you really want to get rid of them, you can contact a paranormal group who will come in ask them to leave. Our historical society recently hosted a presentation by South Jersey Paranormal Research and they covered this subject. Here's a link to their website with their advice.

http://www.sjpr.org/sjprghost.html

The paranormals did say that spirits will attach to people so maybe your friends can take a few home with them. :D
oldhouseluvr

Postby angolito on Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:51 pm

drew, my house had the best vibes when we moved here. i felt the good in her from the moment we moved in. my sister in tampa gave me a smudge stick when we left as a going away present, but i wanted my "visitors".

after the federal case things took a major turn for the worse, rapidly. i have a good friend here who came over. it wasn't the "good" turned bad, but a new entity which came in with the bad guy. i didn't want to banish all the folks, just the malevolent one.

with j 's help we moved around some furniture which he felt was providing dark corners, and he walked around........i don't know how to describe it but you could just see him somehow absorbing the badness? he broke out in a sick sweat, and when j took my hands, i could feel it, seriously.

i do know that if you use a smudge stick you can get rid of everything, without being able to retain good spirits. the anniversary of the bad times is coming up in mid march. i still don't feel the good vibes yet, but i am hopeful that they will return soon.
angolito

Postby drew in baltimore on Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:02 pm

I had bad vibes when I first saw the house, but it was probably due to its very, very poor condition. It really looked like a haunted house in the movies should look -- big, old, and extremely decrepit. After a year of clearing out all the junk, fixing hundreds of broken window panes, removing all the partition walls, and finally getting some sunlight back into the house it started to finally give off good vibes, at least in some areas of the house.

But what if there is something more sinister that you must rid the house of?

OK, here goes...

I was not sure if I should post this, but feel it's time to do something about whatever is lurking about. It's been a while since anything strange has happened and I thought maybe the spirits were gone or at least content, and I was fine with that.

On New Year's Day, I was paid a surprise visit by a friend whom I haven't seen in over a year. It was her first visit to my house and she was excited to take a tour. Let me just start by saying that I've never discussed anything spiritual with her in the past, least of all ghosts.

So we started on the usual tour working our way up through the 5 stories, starting with the desolate first-floor. If you remember from previous posts, my parlor floor is on the second level so I rarely go down to the first floor. I live on the 4th while the house is being redone. So, we entered the front room on the first floor which was originally a family dining room, but had been converted into a doctor's office in the 1870s for the resident doctor. It's a dark, depressing room but has no remnants from the doctor's office, just an odd black marble Gothic mantel. Immediately entering the room, my friend Erica nonchalantly mentioned that she felt a "presence".

A moment later, we moved into the next room which was originally built as a kitchen in 1847, but was turned into a billiard room in the 1870s, during the tenure of the doctor. I turned on the chandelier in the room. It's a very dark and creepy room being in the center of a 5-room enfilade on the first floor -- a room I almost never go into, and if I do, I usually run through it with my eyes half closed saying a little protective prayer to myself. No joke. I use it mostly for storage while the house is being restored.

No sooner than Erica entered the billiard room, the chandelier started to flicker, went off, and then came back on. I don't know why I said it, but half-jokingly I said, "He must be saying "Hello". My experience has been that the chandelier flickering seems to preceed strange events. Erica looked at me, walked over to the fireplace in that room, and stopped dead in her tracks.

In about 2 seconds she went from her normal cheerful self to choking, gasping for air, hyper-ventilating, and finally bursting into tears.... I watched her literally break down in front of me in a matter of seconds. She ran for the door to the hallway telling me she had to get out of the room. Before I could even ask her what was the matter, she blurted out that something very bad had happened here. She said she felt an incredible coldness and sadness as if someone were in pain. And then she said the most remarkable thing, "There was a murder here!"

After she was able to catch her breath after a few minutes, I barraged her with questions. She told me that the moment she entered my house, she felt some presence scrutinizing her, even going through the contents of her purse. When she approached the fireplace in the billiard room, she told me she felt a pinch to her rear end from whatever it was. She told me I must be very good at shielding myself because the house is certainly “live”. She also said she hasn’t had a psychic reaction like that for several years. Weird.

I actually knew that a murder had happened in the house, and she was the 3rd person in 3 years to sense this without having any prior knowledge. The last person who sensed the murder would not even tell me about what he felt for several days for fear of spooking me. But I witnessed a similar breakdown from that individual when he enter the same room. And of course the lights did the flickering again. He later told me that he, his mother, and grandmother are "very sensitive". I don't know the details of the murder or the timeframe; I was only told this by the previous owner (at the settlement table if you can believe it -- what a nut!). I really don't want to know any details because I have this belief that I am somehow changing the karma of the house with the work I am doing here, but I am getting to the point where I want some outside help.

There is more to the New Year's Day story, but I'll stop for now.
Drew in Baltimore

drew in baltimore

Postby KathyJB on Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:20 pm

I think you should write a book. No, seriously or maybe go on that show.
Has "it" ever been hostile to you? I watch "A Haunting" and they all say when renovation is being done it disturbs them.
KathyJB

Postby angolito on Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:40 pm

i will try to get my friend to come here. he isn't into the computer at all, but his so is. i can tell you that he is super sensitive and helped to cleanse our house after the jackals came in.
angolito

Postby drew in baltimore on Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:51 pm

It's never been hostile to me, but I must admit I am a little scared. I put up a crucifix outside the door to the billiard room for protection 2 years ago. I just really hate having to go in that room by myself. Erica and others have suggested that I do not do any renovation work in there alone -- they didn't really have to tell me that though :?

I don't feel the bad energy in the whole house though, just on the first floor and in the basement. On the second and third floors there is another feeling altogether. Erica and the 2 other "psychic" individuals have sensed a feminine spirit who seems to be very happy with the house being turned back to its former graciousness. I have smelled atar of roses numerous times in the 3rd floor master bedroom, which is quite odd since the whole house at one times smelled like a garbage dump. The rose smell only occors in a small square yard area, and only then every couple of months. The room is also completely empty of rugs and furniture. Very strange.
Drew in Baltimore

drew in baltimore

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum