New Wood Barn Sash Windows?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

New Wood Barn Sash Windows?

Postby HappyInHartwood » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:12 am

I come before the Old House Web Forums to call upon your experience to help me solve a problem . . . I know, so what else is new?

Does anyone have any experience with a company or an individual who sells wood barn sash windows? I find many references to them on the 'net, but no one who actually sells the quantity I need (50 of 'em, eventually). Better Barns in CT sells three sizes to supply people who build from their shed plans. Their supplier, Iffland Lumber, also in CT, doesn't ship to Virginia. I have found people who can make them for me, but $200+ for fixed sash barn windows makes my stomach turn.

If I could have exactly what I want, I'm looking for 10 windows 30" square, 20 24" square, and 20 24" x 30". At this point, though, I will be happy and try to make do with just about anything I can find. I can't believe it's been this difficult to find something that should be so common. It's making me crazy! (and it's delaying this next phase of my barn restoration).

Help.
Connie
1848 Gothic Revival
http://www.hartwoodroses.blogspot.com
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
HappyInHartwood

Re: New Wood Barn Sash Windows?

Postby Sombreuil_Mongrel » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:57 am

Try these nice folks. They do a lot of millwork runs for our business. Their sash builder does a nice job. They also do wooden storm windows.
http://www.macraesbluebook.com/search/c ... any=537832
Casey
Sombreuil_Mongrel

Postby locust lane farm » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:23 am

For the renovation of my 1920's 3 story bank barn, I did the following- perhaps this may give you some ideas:

1. For the 12 small windows above the "bank" side of the barn that were not usable-I dumpster dove for a similar style (3 horizontaldivided lights) and trimmed the sides to fit - top hinges and hook and eye closures were used for opening and closing the windows

2. For the "other" side of the lower barn all of the 10 (12 divided light) windows were repairable with a variety of epoxy and wood putty-except for 1. I kept the dimensions of that 1 window in my wallet for 3 years until I came across a close proximity at a local flea market. that needed a little trim to fit- you can not tell the difference among the 10 windows- Patience pays off!!!

3. Since I renovated the barn from a dairy to a horse stable, I had custom sliding barn end doors made with window inserts to match the window style discussed above. The company is called Circle B barns with another affiliated company called Barn Depot who makes antique repro. hardware. The windows in the doors look FANTASTIC and the prices were the best I found in my search.

Both companies have websites and were professional to work with.

Good luck
locust lane farm

Postby jade mortimer » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:04 am

i wonder if you are looking for one pane of glass, or two or three or more?.....
http://www.brosco.com makes sash but the wood that they is not top-notch as it is all new growth lumber...

good luck...
...jade
jade mortimer

Postby HappyInHartwood » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:08 am

Update time.

My window guy called me on Friday afternoon. He leveraged his supplier, and I'll be getting the first 5 windows I need to close in the west end of the barn for just under $100 each. 30" square, 4 light, no glass yet. To get the price down, I ordered these sash without glass -- I'll paint them and glaze them myself before we install them.

The supplies for this part of the project are now all taken care of, and I have a bit of time to check out the sources you all have given me for the windows for the rest of the building. Thanks a million.

Here's my drawing of what this end of the barn will look like when it's finished.

Here's how it was before any work started:

After it was straightened and the rotten framing and siding were removed:

How the building looks right now -- except this photo is from last winter:

The plan right now is to take this building from a hay barn with spaces between the vertical siding boards to more of a dairy barn style, with a double row of windows down both sides (one row on each level) and close the building up with board and batten siding. It's still going to be a giant lawn ornament for now, but I eventually hope it will be a big asset to my soon-to-be rose nursery.
Connie
1848 Gothic Revival
http://www.hartwoodroses.blogspot.com
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
HappyInHartwood

Postby Tiedtke » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:19 am

I build Barn windows for a local Barn company. I may be able to help but I'm in Nebraska, I build almost any Size or shape The company I build for is called SandCreek Post & Beam you could look on the web for them if the barn has wood windows I probably built them. If you think I can help you could email me @ tmarks99@hotmail.com I'm a self employed contractor so we wouldn't have to go through the company it would just cost you more.
Tiedtke

Return to General Discussions Forum