My window guy called me on Friday afternoon. He leveraged his supplier, and I'll be getting the first 5 windows I need to close in the west end of the barn for just under $100 each. 30" square, 4 light, no glass yet. To get the price down, I ordered these sash without glass -- I'll paint them and glaze them myself before we install them.
The supplies for this part of the project are now all taken care of, and I have a bit of time to check out the sources you all have given me for the windows for the rest of the building. Thanks a million.
Here's my drawing of what this end of the barn will look like when it's finished.
Here's how it was before any work started:
After it was straightened and the rotten framing and siding were removed:
How the building looks right now -- except this photo is from last winter:
The plan right now is to take this building from a hay barn with spaces between the vertical siding boards to more of a dairy barn style, with a double row of windows down both sides (one row on each level) and close the building up with board and batten siding. It's still going to be a giant lawn ornament for now, but I eventually hope it will be a big asset to my soon-to-be rose nursery.