Parting Bead Oddities

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Danno

Re: Parting Bead Oddities

Post by Danno »

not sure what is going on in picture---> IMG_3099.JPG and IMG_3097.JPG what is that tool?
1858 Italianate and Gothic Inspired thingamabob
HappyInHartwood: "You can't make something 'more' ruined."

dfiler

Post by dfiler »

That's a flashing bender. Basically it is a really wide mouthed pliers for bending rolled metal roof flashing.

I used it to straighten the weather stripping on the meeting rail. The upper sash has a U-shaped metal weather strip on the meeting rail. The lower sash has a flat piece of metal on the meeting rail. As the lower sash is lowered, that metal piece comes down to rest inside the U-shaped trough attached to the upper sash. They weren't straight anymore and thus didn't seal as well. Clamping down on them with the flashing bender seemed like the easiest way to straighten them.

Danno

Post by Danno »

gotchya, thanks for the explanation. It's fun to see the similarities and differences between the things we both have to do to restore our windows. Mine will be coming with pictures in a couple of weeks, so be prepared!
1858 Italianate and Gothic Inspired thingamabob
HappyInHartwood: "You can't make something 'more' ruined."

moonshadow317

Post by moonshadow317 »

Hi,
After I offered you those extra pieces, I removed them from the parting beads. They look like they could easily be recreated with a piece of felt and a strip cut to fit the width of your parting bead. You could try it out on a piece of the old weather-striping. Then all you have to do is tack the piece one nail on top slide the felt in the middle and another nail on the bottom. BTW I was able to buy real tiny copper nails in packs at Home depot.
To remove window without mangling weather stripping.
First take off the thin side pieces of wood that frame the windows. Gently pry them up with a thin scraper.
Open the bottom window and slide the scraper behind the molding to where there is a nail. Pop the nail up a little push the metal back down and use a small hammer to remove the nails as you go.
Push the window down and get the top nails. A needle nose plier works really well to pull out the nails. Mine only had 3 or 4 nails in each piece .
After you have done one side, you will be able to pull the window out on that side and disconnect the rope by tacking in a nail up top by the pully. I had chains on mine so it was easy to just slide in a nail. Then disconnect the rope on the other side
Then I removed the parting bead and slid the scraper though the metal weatherstriping on the same side as the first. I did not remove the weatherstriping on the top and bottom nor on one side of most of my windows. I cleaned them up with a piece of steel wool and you can even wax them a little.
To put the winow back in just do the reverse. Everything will fit back in perfectly. If you happen to bend the weatherstripping. It can easily be tapped back into shape with the little hammer or shaped with a squared off plier on the folds ( think vice grip)

I hope this helps,
Karen
Karen

LorenaBlairBOp

asiafriendfinders review

Post by LorenaBlairBOp »

How to find love without internet dating

Spring is uphill, which means gambolling lambs, Magnolia in bloom and a new crop of persons thinking: "not again! must i start dating again,and as a result "Oh adept! how is it possible do I meet someone,

Being thrown in the dating pool if you're of a certain age (Or seasoned) Is not a bundle of laughs. But remaining alone after losing a partner or a bruising divorce is even worse. So around the globe, People right now are picking themselves up started and having a go. there isn't any doubt it takes courage. of Judi Dench, Playing widowed pensioner Evelyn Greenslade inThe second best Exotic Marigold Hotel, shows: "The distinction between what we want and what we fear is the width of an eyelash,

regarding the plus side, There are benefits of mid or late life dating. Women who've been married and had their kids already may be less hung up on commitment. males, on the other hand, might feasibly be moderately house trained. "You know a man who's been married can probably roast a chicken and replace a washer, Says life gucci Nina Grunfeld, originator ofLife Clubs. "they're also aware that women are three dimensional, rather than permanently wearing sexy lingerie,

Hannah Clark, A just recently divorced mother of three, Finds the idea of online dating "Toe curling and also American, She is one of thousands of Britons who have no intention of being part of the dating foreign girls revolution. "I know every person's on Tinder, tells me Hannah, 49, who works part time as a garden designer. adam4adam gay dating site After his divorce case, He joined an opening paragraphs agency. "now you have an open secret, according to him, "That the women pay and the men don't,

Reasoning that intricate with an agency would be "A cheap way of having a consistent supply of women, he tells he met mostly "'dull magistrates who'd been dumped by their husbands after they'd become fusty and sound, He contains: "they did not joke or flirt I call it magistrate syndrome. And they weren't considering about looking feminine or delicious. they were just too sensible,

after several dates with "Nice but acceptable women, Simon decided to pay attention to his own social circle. "I often be a bit rude and prickly, So I'm not asked out much, But I threw a few a get-together with the idea that I might get invited back. Was it a waste of money? "Not in the least! attn :! I met my girlfriend at a drinks party thrown by one of my guests a few months later, Simon's the verdict? "You're most likely to meet people through friends and friends of friends but you might have to get making use of,

Hannah is holding out the hope that existence the school gates, Her dog corners, Her local community, Her occasional work trips abroad might throw up a potential lover. "When I'm driving I see people's more honest, Unpolished selves, states.

So far her activities have produced only one candidate an aggressive, Boastful neighbor but the ink on her "extended and protracted" splitting up papers is barely dry. "During the divorce I put all thoughts of a marital life to one side, Possibly to protect they, states that Hannah, Who's now imagining joiningAndrew Robson's bridge club in Fulham. "Now I'm probably ready to meet someone,

the experts say it takes time for the wounds to heal. "You've been the victim of loss at the end of the day, Saysdating guru Madeleine mason. "And if you haven't dealt with that loss it can be hard to move on, I meet Madeleine at a class in Bloomsbury, Where a group of mid life divorcs have paid 25 to go to a session called Starting Over.

Madeleine, A soigne brunette in white jeans and a black blouse, changes from "under-going the baggage" could possibly be, she says, "No steps for success" To ways of finding a partner new. During her class, All that hunting ground clichs crop up friends, likes and dislikes, show off, do the trick, The inevitable internet dating agencies and websites.

john Sykes, A divorced lawyer of 61, Is the usual on London's upmarket evening course circuit, Which he believes are "Really get your hands on places, He's an actua fan, he admits that of the debates atIntelligence Squared, Which pull in big names but more to the point for Fred "shrewd women,

He also rates the classes at theSchool of Lifeand is intrigued by theIndytutewhose folksy line up includes several swing dancing to learning the ukulele. He suggests the best events are ones which involve interaction. "It's more and more difficult to start a conversation if you're all just sitting listening to a talk,

Has he met anyone at these situations? Anyone he in reality fancied? "One woman had a good sense of fun, But was very steadily built and a bit non U, according to him. "It couldn't work, james, Who is semi listing is of course, informs me he's now got his eye ona talk by Antony Beevor at the How to Academy. it's called 'Ardennes 1944. Hitler's last Gamble'. "Who would want to go to that, he admits that. "It sounds appealing,

all right, potentially. But Fred would surely find higher ratio of unattached women on a yoga holiday.

Madeleine's tips for shifting after divorce

Accept that it requires time the more raw things are, The more compassionate you must be to yourself.

"The tours are very powerful, Says truman, Who sends avid gamers off on solo flirting missions armed with helpful tips. "With the right skills usually it takes just eight weeks to find a match.