Have you removed aluminum siding? I HAVE! New Pics!

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Have you removed aluminum siding?

Postby scotty40 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:31 am

Well ok then- sounds like you have made up your mind. The square footage they are referring to is exterior surface area- not interior surface area. Also- current market price in Chicago is $.55/lb. for aluminum siding- the price you are quoting is for pure processed aluminum. My house is around 2700 (exterior surface area) square ft.- I got about $750 for all of the siding. Plus you have to peel and dispose of all of the fiberboard backing off of it to get that price. 1 man 1 week to remove the aluminum siding, restore all of the hacked trim and damged clapboards, fill nail holes, scrape the house and paint? Sounds ambitious to say the least. Also- beware of painting latex paint over the original oil based paint- it has a tendancy to act like paint stripper after about a year. Latex paint is incredibly flexible- oil based is not. It tends to peel the oil based off in sheets because it can't move at the same rate. Check the Deparment of Interior's website for painting recommendations when going over oil based paints. If you do an internet search- you'll find alot of info on it.
Seriously- I hope it all works out. Keep us updated....
scotty40

Postby Danno on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:49 am

in order to see current aluminum prices I googled and found this:
http://www.universalwrecking.com/Sections-read-33.html

Might not be exact, but surely will help get a better idea....
1858 Italianate and Gothic Inspired thingamabob
HappyInHartwood: "You can't make something 'more' ruined."
Danno

Postby notpetergriffin on Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:27 am

scotty40 wrote:Well ok then- sounds like you have made up your mind. The square footage they are referring to is exterior surface area- not interior surface area. Also- current market price in Chicago is $.55/lb. for aluminum siding- the price you are quoting is for pure processed aluminum. My house is around 2700 (exterior surface area) square ft.- I got about $750 for all of the siding. Plus you have to peel and dispose of all of the fiberboard backing off of it to get that price. 1 man 1 week to remove the aluminum siding, restore all of the hacked trim and damged clapboards, fill nail holes, scrape the house and paint? Sounds ambitious to say the least. Also- beware of painting latex paint over the original oil based paint- it has a tendancy to act like paint stripper after about a year. Latex paint is incredibly flexible- oil based is not. It tends to peel the oil based off in sheets because it can't move at the same rate. Check the Deparment of Interior's website for painting recommendations when going over oil based paints. If you do an internet search- you'll find alot of info on it.
Seriously- I hope it all works out. Keep us updated....

Scotty please don't think I don't welcome a voice of reason. I am a dreamer and I know this. This is my family home, I grew up here, my mother grew up here. I want this house to be all that it can be. You are correct on the price of aluminum, my mistake. And both the contractor and I are aware of the issues of painting latex over oil.

I do expect some issues, but at this point I have to go for it. It's just so ugly and all character is covered up, and I mean ALL OF IT. Why live in an old house if it's one (maybe there is more than one???) benefit is clad in aluminum? After posting here I did ask the contractor for a few more references. He gave me an entire sheet of them, I checked out every one of his jobs in the neighborhood and I found a trend that I liked, several clusters of homes all restored by him....3 on one block... 2 on another. This tells me something about his work. He originally came to look at the porch floor, and as soon as he saw the house he said he wanted to paint it. I was going to put it off for another yr. but I think it's time. The house is going to be 100 yrs old next yr, it's time to restore it. He's going to start removing siding tomorrow. I will post pictures of the progress and updates on the condition. I am sure I will be be back to complain if complaining is called for.

I did find some encouraging info from Illinois Historic Preservation Agency. They hold a "Great Unveiling" every yr where, in one weekend, several homes have artificial siding removed. While nearly every home needed some trim replaced, 75% of homes needed no major repairs. Those are some good odds and I fancy myself a lucky gal. http://www.broadwaydistrict.org/unveil.htm

Goodness I hope I am doing the right thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some more before pics...

Full Frontal:

Bay on Porch:

Parlor Window (Porch):

Side of Home:
notpetergriffin

Postby notpetergriffin on Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:39 am

I did want to post some porch before and after pics. With the exception of the stairs, we are very happy. We will be putting a wider staircase in with some appropriate rails in the next yr. The foundation was painted black in the 90's We tried painting those front foundation pillars the same dark color as the porch floor, we do not like the look. We will be painting it a sandstone color. The flag on the door is covering up a temporary plywood panel. Yet another thing on our list.

Before:

After:
notpetergriffin

Postby scotty40 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:24 am

I definitely share your enthusiasm.. Removing the siding was one of the most exciting projects I have tackled... Can't wait to see the update pics!!!!
scotty40

Postby Danno on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:32 am

I can only image how cathartic it is, how great it must feel. I removed just a little vinyl from my house and it was one of the greatest feelings I've ever had. It was like giving my old house CPR to bring it back to life. I just can't describe it. Is it wrong of me to reply to my 4 year old's question (what are you doing daddy) by saying "This is vinyl it's like plastic and it's icky gross on houses. Some people put it on old houses, but that's naughty, so daddy has to fix it." I figure I might as well start him young, right? I'm just waiting for him to tell his grandma/grandpa that they are naughty.
1858 Italianate and Gothic Inspired thingamabob
HappyInHartwood: "You can't make something 'more' ruined."
Danno

Postby notpetergriffin on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:35 pm

OK WE STARTED! I have my first pics. So far about 1/4 of the house is done, NO ROT at all, not even where our gutter has been detached for a year! Some minor splitting and, of course, nail holes.

They did cut away the edges of the sills (I will post asking for creative solutions soon as this guy does not want to replace 24 sills). We haven't uncovered the gable, the overhangs, or the north side of the house (where our weather comes in). Underneath the siding was only some firring strips and some foil type insulation.

Pics below. You can see my 3yo in some of the pictures. He was crying hysterically telling them to stop breaking his house! I explained they were making it pretty for mommy and showed him the pics. He took one look at the pics and said, "That's not pretty!"

Side of the house:

1 of 2 lapboard defects found so far:

Back of house:

2 of 2 defects :

Now for the sill issue:

notpetergriffin

Postby notpetergriffin on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:43 pm

One side is now complete. The gable at the top of the bump out for the stairs (what's it called?) has minimal rot on the bottom 3 rows of shingles. The contractor was kind enough to climb back up his ladder with my camera to take a couple of pictures.

This is the south side of the house. I am not kidding when I say the top of the house is in near mint condition. No chips, no splits, nothing. Looks great! One side down 3 to go. When I was outside taking these picks I was grinning from ear to ear. I have had 4 neighbors stop by already (they are close) to either call me crazy or to tell me they wish they had the guts to do the same thing. bnn

notpetergriffin

Postby TinyOldHouse on Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:08 pm

Looks great! Isn't it a good feeling to take that off!
See what we are doing now!
http://tinyoldhouse.blogspot.com
TinyOldHouse

Postby buffy21798 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:05 pm

I'm totally green with envy wishing I had the guts to just do mine...
1894 Princess Anne
buffy21798

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions Forum