dcsimg

Have you removed aluminum siding? I HAVE! New Pics!

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Have you removed aluminum siding?

Postby jennyjkerr on Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:45 pm

I had a thought about your foundation painted black. I know it might sound odd, but you might try contacting whoever does the design for the disney themeparks. There are no real bricks in disney world, all the stone work, etc on their buildings is faux painted. I didn't believe it til we went and I looked at it up close. Maybe they could give you some tips on how to paint your stone work to look more like the real thing (even though it is underneaith) instead of just a single color all over.
jennyjkerr

Postby notpetergriffin on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:36 am

The damage has been assessed. We need to replace about 30 LF of cedar clapboard siding, 35 sf of cedar shingle siding. We need to sister in sills on 26 windows and place crown molding on 22 of them, as the aluminum installers also hacked off some of the top trim on several windows. We also need to replace the crown on both porches. Lucky for us we did find that crown molding on ebay.

Danno wrote:wait, sidetrack, you bought crown moulding on ebay? tell me more.

YES! We found it on ebay. I searched the building materials category by distance and found a guy that I assume does nothing but go to building supply auctions because he had a ton of molding and still posts auctions from time to time. Although I think my fellow Clevelanders have caught on as prices are not what they once were.

Sombreuil_Mongrel wrote:I am "in process" on removing the aluminium. The siding underneath was in good shape, but the old paint started peeling off immediately. It needed lots of prep. The back porch area had been half-enclosed in 1938. Maybe next year I'll set up pump jacks and finish a side.
Casey

I think you have the right idea Som

cs wrote:Here’s some before during and after shots of our place:
Even the dog knows this is better – and she eats deer poop, so you know she’s willing to put up with a lot!
Chris
http://www.saracenihouse.com

What can I say? Your dog is correct. Beautiful inspiration.

jennyjkerr wrote:Our home is covered with 3100 sq ft of aluminum siding. The realtor suggested if we recycled it we might get enough back to cover half of the install of new vinyl siding. I looked into and found out that the only aluminum siding that is really worth anything apparently is the uninsulated type that is silver on the back. If yours is anything else on the back then it's apparently only worth about 10 cents a pound. The estimate to reside our home is $17,000. I had a blog comment from someone today who suggested we try to see if we couldn't remove it ourselves and repair any damaged boards and paint... this is looking more and more like a good idea seeing as how the estimate to replace the rusted sections of gutter, add new downspouts and replace the few pieces of missing soffit and fascia board was $7,300. If I can paint the house for less than it will cost me to simply fix the few things awry with the exterior I'm willing to do the labor. At least what I can of it and my husband's family has enough life long handymen to do what I can't.

Your estimate sounds great, I hope it works out. I enjoyed reading this thread, lots of good advice here!

The aluminum was the silver backed aluminum. Aluminum nails were also used. I did not ask the contractor how much he received, but I know he was happy with it. In my dream world my husband and I would have done this ourselves, unfortunately my husband has zero interest. Well, close to zero interest. And I am fat and scared to get up too high on a ladder. I am telling you that this contractor has been amazing. I have never seen a harder worker...except maybe our roofer, but that's for a different thread. Did you know building supplies at a supply center (not HD or lowes) are negotiable? I didn't but I do now!
notpetergriffin

Postby notpetergriffin on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:57 pm

Free at last....

Updated pics

back porch ceiling
notpetergriffin

Postby jennyjkerr on Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:32 am

ohhhhhh! That is going to be so pretty when it's finished, I can tell already!
jennyjkerr

Postby notpetergriffin on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:38 pm

The next two days are going to be cold and windy, rain tonight and I am missing half my roof, the detailed trim that I have on the rear of the house has been removed from the front. I am going to ask the contractor to move the rear gable trim to the front gable. He is not going to be happy, he is going to list 5 reasons why we shouldn't then 10 things that could go wrong. I am going to think positive. In keeping positive I went to sherwin williams site to get a mock up of the 'after' picture.

Here it is (only older and a few more accents):
notpetergriffin

Postby notpetergriffin on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:44 pm

Pics from this evening (my new camera arrived at 6 pm)

Tomorrow the house will be washed. I thought it wouldn't be so bad for the house to look like this on Halloween but it will be primed on Friday and painted Sun-Wed. Looks like my grass won't be coming in.

notpetergriffin

Postby BobG on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:25 pm

I'm jealous ...

Your painting will only take 5 days total?

We MAY start painting next week ... Depends on if we can get the last bit of material so that the carpenters can finish up. We're a bit behind on the soffit bullseyes, but I'm casting my first one tonight...
Square, Plumb, or Level ... Pick two.
Our Home: 3,550sf 1891 Queen Anne / Victorian Eclectic
http://www.1160main.com/webdoc7.htm
visit my blog and make a comment
BobG

Postby notpetergriffin on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:26 am

BobG wrote:I'm jealous ...

Your painting will only take 5 days total?

We MAY start painting next week ... Depends on if we can get the last bit of material so that the carpenters can finish up. We're a bit behind on the soffit bullseyes, but I'm casting my first one tonight...

Well the whole thing was supposed to be 10 days total. I was kindly warned here that would not be the case. The siding and scraping took longer than contractor had estimated (we should have known, it took us 2 yrs to strip the porch) add to that the repairs that were not included in the timeline and a few weather delays. He says 5, I will expect 10...might turn out better than expected. We also still have half of a roof to tear off plus the front porch roof. They can't do that after the house has been washed. Oh goodness!!!

It snowed here tonight but there is a warm front coming our way. I am going to keep my hopes up that the entire house will be painted by the middle of November.

What is a soffit bullseye?
notpetergriffin

Postby BobG on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:34 pm

notpetergriffin wrote:...What is a soffit bullseye?

It's kind of like what you see on cornerblocks, only it's not inset, it's applied on top.

A couple of pictures might help:

Here's where they show up on the soffit:

Here's a close-up of the bullseye between two bars:

The casting didn't work too well, but I did manage to cut one on a lathe. The new one is on top, the original is below it:

Overall time was about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs to make that one, and it's slightly larger than the original, but now I know, and have my templates, and should be able to whittle the time down (pun intended) to a little over an hour per piece. Wish me luck ...
Square, Plumb, or Level ... Pick two.
Our Home: 3,550sf 1891 Queen Anne / Victorian Eclectic
http://www.1160main.com/webdoc7.htm
visit my blog and make a comment
BobG

Postby notpetergriffin on Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:46 pm

BobG wrote: [ Wish me luck ...

Absolutely beautiful! Good luck.
notpetergriffin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions Forum