dcsimg

does your fridge stick out?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: TinaB, Don M, Schag, oldhouse

does your fridge stick out?

Postby KathyJB » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:18 pm

I was measuring the area where my refrigerator will go and was amazed at how much it will stick out past the counters. Like about 4.5 inches or better. Is that the norm? Can you post pictures of your refrigerator if it sticks out past your counters so I can visualize it better? I put a box there, but it's still hard to tell because the box isn't as wide as a fridge. Thanks a bunch. :D
KathyJB

Re: does your fridge stick out?

Postby prairiebox » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:53 pm

Mine sticks out too, probably at least 4 inches. They sell counter-depth fridges, but even those are deeper than my lower cabinets... I'd LOVE to get a nice built-in fridge when we re-do the kitchen, but they're insanely expensive. Here's the best pic I have of the kitchen showing the fridge. I haven't taken many photos of the kitchen, since I HATE the cabinets. However, looking at how clean and empty the kitchen was when we bought the house, I've just been inspired to go clean it....
Attachments
100_1291 copy.jpg
100_1291 copy.jpg (62.1 KiB) Viewed 2535 times
Image Visit my American Foursquare at http://prairiebox.blogspot.com
prairiebox

Postby BrooklynRowHouse » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:21 pm

Yeah, deep fridges often stick out past the counter. Mine does too. It's better than having too small a fridge.
BrooklynRowHouse

Postby CartierBear » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:26 pm

yeah they do stick out what i did when i remodeled my kitchen was get 2 refridgerator end panels. they look like 4x8 sheets of wood that match your cabinets but are sized different I got ones deep enough for my fridge which is Oversized.. and then the cabinet above the fridge mounts to those pieces The fridge still sticks out but its not noticable if you build the cabinet around it
Jeff
Tulsa, OK
1922 Bungalow
CartierBear

Postby mejane » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:18 am

I had to chuckle....do you think mine sticks out??? :lol:
Attachments
l 004.JPG
l 004.JPG (32.55 KiB) Viewed 2496 times
~~Janie~~
1907 Four Square
mejane

Postby angolito » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:00 am

mine sticks out. i was sure it was going to drive me crazy, but now i don' notice it at all. thank goodness i made my cab guy move the island back six inches because if i had not it would create a traffic jam when opened.
angolito

Postby KathyJB » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:22 am

Jane, you stick out pretty good. :lol:

I notice your dishwasher sticks out too prairiebox. That is another thing we were looking at. When the sales lady at Sears was saying that they also take away your old dishwasher, I told her I'm the old dishwasher. She got a chuckle out of that, but now I'm almost wishing that I would keep my old dishwasher so to speak, and have more storage. My dishwasher is going to stick out too and they are catty corner from my storage drawers. They will both open, but it will be tight.
KathyJB

Postby YinzerMama » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:59 am

Odd question... it made me me realize that although I have lived in a lot of places, only once was the fridge actually next to a counter so this point was obvious. That was our apartment in Seattle and that fridge was kinda tiny - it was just me and DH though so it was OK.

Everywhere else I have lived, the frige has stood alone - but if our current fridge was next to the counters it would stand out I'm going to say a good 6+ inches... maybe more like 8.

eta - i agree a fridge that sticks out is better than a small fridge.
Last edited by YinzerMama on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
1938 or '39 craftsman-like bungalow-like kinda thing
YinzerMama

Postby Wabash » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

KathyJB wrote: I told her I'm the old dishwasher.

Now that is funny!

I rebuilt my kitchen around my old fridge and it stuck out a bit. When it finally gave out the only measurements I was concerned about were height and width. After wrestling the new "same size" fridge into place it stuck out 3 1/2" more than the old one. Like angolito I was sure it would drive me crazy, even to the point of planning to cut out the gyproc, frame it in and get my 3 1/2 " back. I was distracted by other shiny things and eventually got used to it.
Wabash

Postby KathyJB » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:49 am

I was distracted by other shiny things and eventually got used to it.

Yes, like actually living in the house? :lol: I am sure I will get used to it too. That is why we didn't have our island a permanent one. I just need to find some feet for it. I read that the dishwasher isn't flush in the back, so that's good. I have a double outlet for my dishwasher on the wall under the cabinets and was worried everything would be mashed and I would lose a little of the depth. It will be tight with the drawers, but I don't think I'll need to be in both at the same time. Just as long as the drawers open when the dishwasher is closed. They did measure for that when I was designing my kitchen cabinets. I'm going to trust them, really I am. :wink:
KathyJB

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum