dcsimg

What are people thinking sometimes?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

What are people thinking sometimes?

Postby mgb1234 on Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:23 am

These are some pictures of a tri-plex main house 3-1 two story converted garage = 2-1 and 1-1 built in 1924 the pic of the main house shows somebody's version of a open floor plan? What were they thinking?
It sold on 06 for 230k now bank owned for 58k the numbers are nice tho.

Maybe someday I can find a unmolested project :roll: Hmmm I wonder if santa has a email addy
1915 Dormitory
mgb1234

Re: What are people thinking sometimes?

Postby sundine2 on Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:18 am

Poor chimney...standing in the middle of the room with no backing.... Really it sold for over 200 grand 2 yrs ago? We have plenty of those type homes here for less than 30 grand...

Teri
sundine2

Postby bofusmosby on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:42 pm

I thought that house looked familiar. I too live i Tampa. Just outside Ybor in the Gary community. There are those people, who could care less about the historic charm of an old house, and these are the same people who should never OWN an old house.
Jim

Well, there goes the neighborhood!
bofusmosby

Postby utopia13 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:05 pm

I hear ya! I saw a guy's house on the "rate my space" site... gorgeous (to begin with) pristine craftsman bungalow..beautiful wood trim & built ins....he painted the entire thing white. I asked him why he even bought that place? He should have just purchased a cookie cutter & left that for someone who could appreciate it for what it was. I let my disgust be known :twisted:
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby kathyd on Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:04 am

Well, open floor plans seem to be the in thing on all the home shows on TV. I'm not sure why. I like having my separate rooms. My feeling is, if you don't appreciate owning an old home, don't buy one. There is one horrible example here in town - a small old brick home that is now totally encased in a couple of big additions, with horrible trim, bric-a-brac everywhere. I'll try and get some photos.
kathyd

Postby utopia13 on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:48 pm

I just read an article in our local rag about some attorney that bought an 1880's home in our historical district & without consent from the Board of Architectural Review & Historical Society, ripped out all the old windows & put in vinyl!!! The BAR was citing him for the windows & the fact he plans on replacing the lap siding with vinyl siding. Their ruling was overturned by the town council.

I was SO pi$$ed, I sent this to the editor:

To the Editor,

It's not often I feel compelled to respond to articles I read in the local papers, but this one I cannot ignore.

It seems the Town Council is not looking out for the best interests of our town when they allow Mr. Greenan to rape this property of basically the most important Historical Architectural features, knowing this property is situated well within the boundaries of the Historical District.

I thought the guidelines for any changes to these properties was well defined, and not open to a vote as to whether uncharacteristic changes could be made. I suppose this is what being an attorney with money and bad taste can get you.

Vinyl "anything" has absolutely no business being added onto this home whatsoever! Period!

The council decided to overturn the ruling by the BAR, simply because this is his property and he should be able to do with it what he sees fit. Let's hope the Vice Mayor never decides to go for the next step. This goes against the entire designation of the Historical District. Why even have a Historical section of town, when someone with enough cash can desecrate the beautiful structure and turn it into another boring vinyl-clad monstrosity?

About 1.5 years ago I bought a beautiful, nearly 100 year old home just outside the District. I picked this mainly because it is basically in the same shape as it was in 1920, including, and especially because of, the original wooden windows. I'm no attorney and certainly don't make the kind of money that Mr. Greenan, no doubt, does...but I have been slowly restoring every inch of this home, including the windows. I have personally had the assistance of Ms. Failmezger and her husband in this process. This is what they do and LOVE. Restoration and the components to make it happen.

Instead of ripping those gorgeous, original windows, they could have contracted with them to restore the originals for much less than vinyl replacements. The originals would have lasted longer (I will monitor how the vinyls hold up during the next 7 or so years), maintained Historical integrity, and lastly, kept yet another Historical property intact in our quaint little town.

Don't even get me started on the vinyl siding!! I suppose that will be considered "historical" in 2080.

I don't suppose my point of view will ever make it to the printed pages of your paper, but I sure would be interested in making it onto that Board of Architecture. I have no degree in this area, but I do have a love and respect of all things old and beautiful and have done extensive investigations into my home, it's style and it's past inhabitants. I chose this town because my home chose me! I love the beauty in all the old, wonderful structures we have here, but if decisions like this one continue, we won't have anything of beauty left.

Mr. Greenan should be ashamed of his actions & I hope the past inhabitants of that property find a most creative way to punish him.

Sincerely,
M. McHugh
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

utopia13

Postby bofusmosby on Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:05 pm

Utopia13

BRAVO!!! I personally think you went a bit easy of the idiot. That guy has NO BUSINESS owning any old structure! Its idiots lke this that I refer to as having more dollars, than cents (sense).
Jim

Well, there goes the neighborhood!
bofusmosby

Postby James on Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:33 pm

I know, you see it all the time. Years ago I went to an open house. Circa 1900ish Queen Anne farmhouse. "Totally restored", should have sent me running. Vinyl siding, and windows. The upstairs which had been an attic was now all living space, with several large dormers(the only thing about the house I liked was the upstairs). Downstairs every wall had been rearranged. All the floors were replaced. Carpet and Pergo as I recall. Open floor plan(SHUDDER). It was horrible. I just was sickened. There was one other person there going thru the house with the realtor and me, and I listened to the realtor gush about what a "Great" job the sellers had done till I just could not stand it and let her hold it. Told her exactly how bad it was, I do recall I compared it to necrophilia. I know she was glad to see me walk out the door.
Just yesterday I ran into some folks that I took a historic preservation course with a few years ago and they were telling me about a house circa 1815 that somone they know has inherited and plans to tear down, so he can replace it with a modular home. Says he never wants to paint again. Hope someone can save the place from him but I doubt it. The folks telling me about this are the same folks have twice saved old houses that were on the verge of being burned down by stepping in and buying them(once after the permit to burn had already been obtained), but they are still busy trying to restore both of those places and can't do it again. But you know who ever has that farm could sell the house and two acres and have enough cash to buy a modular home and put it in next door, if that is what they have to have. Oh well, I certainly have my own opinion as to the ultimate destination of folks like that.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby angolito on Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:17 pm

GO MO :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: THIS IS SO IMPORTANT.

we are in the minority. the windows and siding industries have done such a good job of brainwashing people into thinking that any new building material is superior, it is nearly impossible to convince people that for economic, historic and environmental grounds it is imperative to keep the fabric of our historic properties intact.

it is really sad to read that so many are often misled into following the siren song of low/e and argon crapola replacement windows. if it costs more money to tear out the original material, then that move is justified with comments about the "best money can buy" and claims of how the products are "guaranteed to last a lifetime".

makes me feel sick to think about the landfills and our throw away mentality in this country...........

*stepping down from my soapbox, now*.
angolito

Postby utopia13 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:04 am

Thanks everyone! When I'd read that article, I was just SO angered that our town council could override a ruling by our Architectural Review Board, (simply cuz he's a lawyer with $$$) I just had to let them know what I thought.

We'll see what kind of results I get. I gave the editor my address & phone # too, but told him to use discretion when posting.
Come join us!!!

utopia13

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum