What are people thinking sometimes?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: What are people thinking sometimes?

Postby bofusmosby on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:22 pm

In regards to what mgb1234, I agree with you about not putting tons of money into a downtown district, and instead, sink that money into the local areas. However, there are (as I am sure you know) areas of a downtown district that should be saved and preserved as well. I too live in Tampa, and am in the middle of the demolition by neglect issue. I spoke before the City Council 4 days before the collapse of the Gary school. I told them exactly what was happening, and what the end result was going to be. After the old school was bulldozed, I sent an email to the mayor, all of the City Council, and well as about a 100 other leaders of the community. A few days later, the Tribune wanted permission to re-print the email I sent in the newspaper. I also spoke before the city council earlier this month about the ordinance they are coming up with. I personally think that the owner of the Gary school should be thrown in jail, for crimes against history. I believe you understand the situation. However, many do not. I live in the Gary area, and my house is not labeled "historical", but in reality, it is. I owe it to the future generations to bring this house back to its former glory. I believe that if a person buys an old house, this is what they need to do. I understand that no one likes someone else to dictate to them what they can, and can not do. Myself included. However, my guidelines are more strict than what the local historical group specifies. The lawyer than was mentioned earlier never should have bought that house. Its a shame that big money rules over just about everything. Even if a house in NOT in an historical district, but within a block or two of one, then I believe that the owner has a responsibility to do the right thing. I work 6 days a week, just to pay the bills. My wife is disabled, and I haven't the money to hire someone else to do the work, which is why I have to do it all. Now, if I can do this on a shoe-string budget, then that idiot lawyer had more than enough resources to look into doing things the "right" way.....Historically.

Forgive me, I really don't mean to ruffle any feathers, I am just very passionate about history. OK, I'll get down off my soap-box now.
Jim

Well, there goes the neighborhood!
bofusmosby

Postby moonshadow317 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:28 pm

Very well said Bofus, as for your signature ...your neighborhood is lucky to have you :wink:
Karen
moonshadow317

Postby utopia13 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:47 pm

Thanks everyone. As I guess is pretty obvious, I am also very passionate about these old places. I wanted mine so bad...I had -0- cash to put down, mortgaged the entire thing, and pay everything by myself and intend to do right by it.

I'm about 1 block outside our historic district, but I still feel a sense of duty to restore. Especially since there is only 1 other place here like it & it's turned into the cat house from hell. Her animals have totally ruined it.

Not everyone agrees with this passion that many of us have, but to intentionally desecrate one of these gems & have the council behind you...well, I'll remember their names next time they're up for election.

As for my letter to the editor, he wrote me back stating they would only be using my name, not any contact info. That works for me since I'm not in the phone book.
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby utopia13 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:24 pm

IntrepidCUB wrote:Wow MGB that was a good post. I can see what you are talking about especially here in tulsa, They are reviatalizing as they put it building our new BOK center and the latest is moving our baseball stadium downtown as well . Of course they are inement domaining old houses and demolishing them to build a stadium(in a historical district may i add) the same thing they did with the I-44 widening. the current stadium is only 6 miles away so its not across the city or anything. The funny thing is with the BOk center there is not enough parking so you either pay 20 dollars for parking or park at a stop somewhere and rid a shuttle, Oh back to my post LOL. Downtown is also so business oriented at 6 pm its a ghost town. My partner is from new york and was shocked at how dead downtown is at night. I had a freind that lives in Guthrie, OK above a old store downtown. People always walking around lots of old detail its so nice.

Oh heres our BOK center i call it the roll of duct tape Sticks out like a sore thumb

Jeff....that is surely one of the most butt-ugly buildings I've ever seen! Hopefully it's not within your view! :shock: If so, I'd be keeping my drapes shut.
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby New Olde House on Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:56 pm

utopia13 wrote:I hear ya! I saw a guy's house on the "rate my space" site... gorgeous (to begin with) pristine craftsman bungalow..beautiful wood trim & built ins....he painted the entire thing white. I asked him why he even bought that place? He should have just purchased a cookie cutter & left that for someone who could appreciate it for what it was. I let my disgust be known :twisted:

Saw that mistake here when we were hunting - a bungalow that had been gutted - floating fireplace, all walls down - I mean, mind's eye could still see where they'd been, everything newly painted glossy beige and modern white...with new light bamboo floors to replace the old, dark wood that must have been there. It just looked -- so -- wrong. :(
New Olde House

Postby kathyd on Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:50 am

I love watching the remodeling shows on TV, but if you really follow them, you would just have to grab a sledge hammer and knock out all your walls. Downstairs at least. I just saw a nice little prairie style home. They had knocked out the wall to the kitchen because it was too small, at least according to them. Everything has to be open. No on wants walls downstairs. Sorry, but my kitchen isn't always neat and I wouldn't want it open to my living room.
kathyd

Postby angolito on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:28 am

OMG, i finally had to do a happy dance while watching ?MY HOUSE IS WORTH WHAT? last night. house in charleston. homeowners decide Arbitrarily to replace original wood stock of windows and siding with more efficient hardiboard ( it lasts forever ) and really hideous stick out like my poor stapled finger white vinyl replacement windows throughout.

appraiser actually tells couple that in historic charleston this was not a good move :idea: :idea: . the big downward pointing arrow lights up on the home value scale.

all i can say is GO CHARLESTON. :D :D :D :D
angolito

Postby bofusmosby on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:56 am

It really gets me on a lot of the home shows, when they have to make so many changes to a house. For over a hundred years, its been just fine for a number of families, but suddenly, all the rooms are too small. "this old House" should be called "old House Destruction". I understand that some changes might be needed for the sake of safety, but come on, if the owner wanted a house with bigger and fewer rooms, then that is what they should have bought.
Jim

Well, there goes the neighborhood!
bofusmosby

Postby Raine on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:39 pm

mgb1234, wow, i appreciate your research. ( powerheads pumping $$$ into downtowns while the nieghborhoods decay)
When the powerheads mess with the natural order of free enterprise there is always a mess left. Like HUD building low income housing, now the slumlords are out of business and the low income ppl have less to choose from. ( been there on both ends . We had a triplex, our median rent was $250, while the low income housing price was $450, not kidding)
City council bought a business building for 150,000 put in 100,00 to fix it, then tore it down because they couldnt find a good use for it. Then had the vo-tech students build three houses on the lots and priced them too high for the nieghborhood.They sit to this day. If they kept there nose out of the natural order of free enterprise, some business person with vision, drive, and the money would have own it and not spent the tax payers money!!
Raine

Postby kathyd on Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:14 pm

angolito wrote:OMG, i finally had to do a happy dance while watching ?MY HOUSE IS WORTH WHAT? last night. house in charleston. homeowners decide Arbitrarily to replace original wood stock of windows and siding with more efficient hardiboard ( it lasts forever ) and really hideous stick out like my poor stapled finger white vinyl replacement windows throughout.

appraiser actually tells couple that in historic charleston this was not a good move :idea: :idea: . the big downward pointing arrow lights up on the home value scale.

all i can say is GO CHARLESTON. :D :D :D :D

I saw that one. They looked kind of surprised when he told them.
kathyd

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions Forum