dcsimg

Turret with curved windows posing a problem HELP!!!

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Turret with curved windows posing a problem HELP!!!

Postby Doyle family04 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:56 pm

We bought our 1910 home 5 years ago and it was all ready restored and remodeled however the builder left the original curved windows intact but replaced broken ones with plexiglass. These windows have zero insulation and there is wood rot from water damage in the winter when ice forms and then melts. We want to keep the curved windows but it is costly to replace them if they break and the plexiglass is worthless. The windows are beautiful but also a pain each winter season. We currently hang plastic but the draft is still present and ice still forms. HOw can we fix this problem and it is going to cost a fortune?
Doyle family04

Re: Turret with curved windows posing a problem HELP!!!

Postby Daniel Meyer on Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:47 pm

I have the same issue...on two floors LOL!

Curved glass can be bought/ordered...but I've no idea on the cost yet.

As far as the wood-rot...standard repair techniques...epoxy of minor rot damage, replacement of stiles for major rot, strip, reglue, prime, paint, reglaze. Jamb inserts can be used here too...solving balance problems and seal around the sashes...the curve is not relevent to that..

I intend to check and see if I can order custom curved insulated glass...but I don't hold out much hope for that.

The thickness of the wall on our house (because it's curved) seems to lend itself to making/installing a flat storm window for the winter season...either on the inside or outside, depending on how the windows are hung. It could be made with insulated glass.
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby donoinmass on Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:03 pm

You can install a flat triple track storm over the curved glass. Thats what I would do - even if temporary. As far as replacing the curved glass, it can be ordered, and it isnt cheap, but i dont know how much traffic or how busy your home gets, but breaking a window shouldnt be a worry as long as you are careful, dont place things that could fall on them etc... My house has 10 of those windows, each 1/2" thick plate glass...pretty tough to break actually!! And with the storm window on the outside, you would be adding another "layer" of protection. Good luck...i agree you need to get rid of the plexi!
Don O'Neil
'The Orange Whitney House - 1896'
Winchendon, MA
donoinmass

Postby sundine2 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:07 am

There is a company in Cincinnati that makes storm windows...not wood ones but they do show that they have a curved storm for those types of windows. I have the same ones in my house. I don't know how to measure the curve to order them either. I also know there is a company in Illinois that does the curved glass. You can have the storms made then send them to this company and they put the glass in. I have the info at home in my computer.

Teri
sundine2

loveme

Postby LorenaBlairBOp on Wed May 20, 2020 1:45 am

Give online dating Service A Trial

Why are this students doing all day glued on the computer screens? Why are they laughing and smiling all independently? This are some of the questions that linger in the minds of many who are new, Or have never attempted this free online online dating services. I always say that this thing is asian friend finder very addictive whoever has tried free online dating service will indicate how charming and habit forming it can be. It is quite unlikely to see men and women above the age of thirty years using this free online dating service in the developing world. Surely its a new concept in the developing world something that is growing with the widening of the internet connections in most of the African and the Asian world. My experience as the CEO of my site is very worthwhile. the chance of online dating service is so immense that it cannot be quenched. The major drawback of free online dating service in the developing world is the fact that many webmasters have concentrated their efforts mostly in the few western world. The facts perhaps free services makes every Tom, Dick and Harry enter them. The other reason is that the major search engines will pay better for a click from the developed world. Also interesting to note that by the use of free internet dating service, It is possible to makes friend across the continents within a couple of minutes. Many have met online from deferent continents of the universe and have ended up living together as husbands and wives. In my site i have received very positive comments of people with meet online and are happily married. It takes time before individuals can trust one another online but its very satisfying when dating somebody you have not seen or even imagined of. This virtual dating foreign girls society is growing at an alarming rate. Statistics show that more than 80% of american citizens have used this free online dating service in their lifetime. Its interesting also to learn even the married and not comfortable in relationships are using this service to hunt for sex partners. Presence of web cams in this free online dating service has made it more endearing to many who require sexual satisfaction. I used to hear of people take a look at cyber sex until i had some experience. It is so real and very interesting, do not need meet physically just at the comfort of your computer screen all this is done. Its very safe no bodily interaction and communication but it is very emotionally moving and satisfying. In the developed world models are making a lot of money in this trade.
LorenaBlairBOp

Return to General Discussions Forum