dcsimg

Wood shingle Siding Free of Vinyle UPDATE

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Wood shingle Siding Free of Vinyle UPDATE

Postby mandy on Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:20 am

Ok, I posted a while ago about me peeking behind my vinyl siding and finding wood shingle siding was originally on my house, naturally, one day I had planned to expose it all since I am the only house on this side of the street that has it and its covered up. Well, in the mean time, we have been planning on opening the enclosed side porch and demo the back addittion that some one put up and did not anchor to the ground, or put any pitch in the roof ( leaking now) and of course there is rot everywhere. I had thought the back part was a porch too, but guess not. Well, got my permit, and started taking the vinyl siding off ( we were going to reuse it to put on the newly exposed house until we could do the wood shingle thing) took it off, then the wearther retarder off and lord and behold there was wood shingles on there :shock: :?: . Ok, I started hollering for hubby to come here, and we start yanking all the vinyl off and got to the corner and it stopped, so got past the door and to the part where the side porch starts and the wood shingle starts again. and all around to the front, so, I guess they had encloed the porch originally? I kow its original, but not the back, why was it on there? Hubby thinks it was a garage at some point! I dont know, Im confused, but very happy, cause we are going to take it off and put it on the new exposed house instead, and rip off the rest of the vinyl!!!!! YAY!!! 99 percent is in excellent condition, of course there are a few missing and a few need replaced, but wow, i am so excited. My question is.....how easy is it to install, looks pretty easy, just overlap it? And dont they sell it at Lowes? I am going to look today and see. Also, Is that black tar paper all you put behind it, casue looking in our bathroom, looks like its just that and then the wood siding? Nothing else huh?

here are some pictures I took to help show what I am talking about

Side Porch

Back addition and corner

All it

I one time thought my house was sideways, it did not have a front door originally, the porch and main entrance was on the side, there are a few houses like this around here, one is accross the street. I dont know I do have a foyer and staircase in the "Front" who knows!
Last edited by mandy on Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:56 am, edited 8 times in total.
mandy

Re: Wood shingle Siding with pictures

Postby utopia13 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:28 pm

Did you hear that???? It was your house....taking big, deeeeep breaths! AAAAHHHHHHH...... :D

When she exhales, it's like...thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou..........
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby S Melissa on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:19 pm

That's going to look so nice with the shingles all showing! Hopefully someone will chime in about the replacing part of the shingles - there's more than one way/kind to this process. Shingles in a bundle at Lowes may not be the right thickness or the right taper for your house - it may not be easy - but it's not impossible to do. Ta Da!!!

As for the front being on the side - and the house across the street the same way - likely the street between you - where you "think" your front is - was probably a later addition to the streets in town - likely your houses faced another road that is a bit away from where you are now - a cross street maybe a few hundred feet away? Even if there's houses between you and the cross street - likely they were built after. Turning a house away from the street wasn't typical at all - unless you had an ornery guy who was trying to protest a road - like we have here in Canton. We have one house that faces an E/W road about 1000 feet from it's front door, while the N/S road goes right by it. The N/S road was objected to by the owner of the property so to try and obstruct the road from being built he built his house facing away from it. I never said he was really smart . . . but the road went thru and his house faces nothing. Odd.
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home
S Melissa

Postby mandy on Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:27 pm

This whole neighborhood is weird, there is a street 2 houses down and one house faces our houses, but the 2 houses down from it faces the other way. The 2nd house from mine faces the house facing ours. so who knows, i did see a fire map of this street from the early 1900's and it was the same as now, as far as the streets go, none of these houses were here until the 50's.

I cant wait to see how the house looks after its all done, we looked at the singles at lowes, seemed like they might work, we will see, dont really know where else to get them.

This poor house has been trying to catch a breath since we moved in, layers of floors, layers of paint, you name it, slowly coming off, one day she will be able to take deep breathes!
mandy

Postby lavender_bush on Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:36 am

mandy wrote:This whole neighborhood is weird, there is a street 2 houses down and one house faces our houses, but the 2 houses down from it faces the other way. The 2nd house from mine faces the house facing ours. so who knows, i did see a fire map of this street from the early 1900's and it was the same as now, as far as the streets go, none of these houses were here until the 50's.

Our street is also strange in that part way up the street there are 2 houses (directly across from each other) that don't face the road, the front and rear doors face the sides of the neighboring houses.

Apparently the planners intended in the 60's to build a road in front of those 2 houses so they would have been at the end of the road. Then they changed their minds and decided to to join the road to an existing street further up.

Both houses have a 'paper road' in front of their property, on paper there is space for a road that was never built - so one of my friends and her neighbor have extra land divided equally that neither of them lawfully own. Now other houses have sprung up either side of the houses and there is no way that a road can be built.

Our lots are also a strange shape, as you look at our house a fair portion of the lawn to the right hand side of the driveway belongs to us but looks as though it belongs to our neighbor, I designed the flower bed that way so his house didn't look off center.
In the rear of the property what looks like it belongs to us actually belongs to our him, we mow part of his lawn for him :lol: It's the least we can do, he never sets foot on it due to the 6ft fence surrounding his pool. Luckily the lots are very wooded and really belongs to the deer and other wildlife, there is probably 1/3 of the land that we own that we've never set foot on.
lavender_bush

Postby mandy on Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:01 am

Our lots are also a strange shape, as you look at our house a fair portion of the lawn to the right hand side of the driveway belongs to us but looks as though it belongs to our neighbor, I designed the flower bed that way so his house didn't look off center.
In the rear of the property what looks like it belongs to us actually belongs to our him, we mow part of his lawn for him :lol: It's the least we can do, he never sets foot on it due to the 6ft fence surrounding his pool. Luckily the lots are very wooded and really belongs to the deer and other wildlife, there is probably 1/3 of the land that we own that we've never set foot on.[/quote]

My lot is weird to, if looking at the house from the road the left side of the yard is pretty easy to see whos property is whose, but the other side is a huge drop off, and you would think all the hill part is mine, but nope, about 2 feet is the neighbors, the Magnolia tree is ours, but we share the oak tree :shock: ! We take care of it all, considering they would have to come on our property to do anything, our sump pump goes through it anyway, and they are nice, so no problems. Its just annoying not to be able to do stuff to it, they dont care, but they will be moving and well, new neighbors might not be so nice. I was thinking about planting hedges there since nothing else seem to want to grow, we will see!
mandy

Postby Nancy W on Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:51 am

[quote="lavender_bush Our lots are also a strange shape, as you look at our house a fair portion of the lawn to the right hand side of the driveway belongs to us but looks as though it belongs to our neighbor, I designed the flower bed that way so his house didn't look off center.
In the rear of the property what looks like it belongs to us actually belongs to our him, we mow part of his lawn for him :lol: It's the least we can do, he never sets foot on it due to the 6ft fence surrounding his pool. Luckily the lots are very wooded and really belongs to the deer and other wildlife, there is probably 1/3 of the land that we own that we've never set foot on.[/quote]

Perhaps at some point down the road, you and your neighbor should consider a lot line adjustment, trading part of your properties, so that what looks like it goes with each house actually goes with each house. (Hope that makes sence) You would need a suveyor to do that, but it would not be a "sale" - just a trade.
Nancy
Lower Brambly circa 1895
"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
Nancy W

Postby lavender_bush on Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:12 am

Nancy W wrote:Perhaps at some point down the road, you and your neighbor should consider a lot line adjustment, trading part of your properties, so that what looks like it goes with each house actually goes with each house. (Hope that makes sence) You would need a suveyor to do that, but it would not be a "sale" - just a trade.

I'd love if it was that simple but new lots in our town have to have at least an acre and since there would be 8 houses concerned the house 5 down from us would lose too much land while the house at the end of the street would gain 50% more than they own now.

Money would have to be involved at that point and I really don't think the town would let us do it, we are grandfathered on so many town requirements that it probably wouldn't be worth it. Our deck (18X24wide) couldn't be built under current requirements since one corner is 4ft too close to the boundary for town ordinances.

It works well though - because the lots are so wooded we really don't have any boundaries (other than around swimming pools), if I went to the back of our property (and waded through the vernal pool) I could look to the right and the left and not see a single fence.

My son (unpaid) mows both lawns so you can't the demarcation between the properties on either side

Yes, angolito! I make him mow it with a push mower :lol:
lavender_bush

Postby Nancy W on Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:45 am

lavender_bush wrote:
Nancy W wrote:Perhaps at some point down the road, you and your neighbor should consider a lot line adjustment, trading part of your properties, so that what looks like it goes with each house actually goes with each house. (Hope that makes sence) You would need a suveyor to do that, but it would not be a "sale" - just a trade.

I'd love if it was that simple but new lots in our town have to have at least an acre and since there would be 8 houses concerned the house 5 down from us would lose too much land while the house at the end of the street would gain 50% more than they own now.

Money would have to be involved at that point and I really don't think the town would let us do it, we are grandfathered on so many town requirements that it probably wouldn't be worth it. Our deck (18X24wide) couldn't be built under current requirements since one corner is 4ft too close to the boundary for town ordinances.

It works well though - because the lots are so wooded we really don't have any boundaries (other than around swimming pools), if I went to the back of our property (and waded through the vernal pool) I could look to the right and the left and not see a single fence.

My son (unpaid) mows both lawns so you can't the demarcation between the properties on either side

Yes, angolito! I make him mow it with a push mower :lol:

It sounded like it was the neighbor on one side and just the 2 of you would be involved, and if you did an equal trade it might be better, although perhaps not perfect. If you both ended up with the same amount you started with, it should be OK. Sorry it would be so complicated. Here it is easy to trade land with a lot line adjustment, the lot size doesn't change, just reconfigured. Oh well.
Nancy
Lower Brambly circa 1895
"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
Nancy W

Postby mandy on Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:47 pm

Shes breathing more, i got all around the house as far as I could reach from the ground today, tomorrow I will get on the ladder :shock: ! We found a few places that need repair, all the bottom trim we are replacing, and where we had rot at the back door inside the house, well its rotted outside too, no big surprise there! We are planning on closing that door up anyway since it is not original, and we have a side door from the kitchen ( original) that will lead to the new back once all that is down. But thank the lord they didnt hack up the window sills putting the vinyl up, Im so happy about that. Also the porch trim looks intact so far too! Some of the corners on the bottom are missing most of the singles, so we got to get that fixed ASAP since its down to the black tar paper on those spots! I will post some pictures tomorrow!
mandy

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum