Stainless steel range?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Stainless steel range?

Postby Mury » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:33 pm

Should I put a stainless steel range in an all white kitchen? Cabinets, fridge, microwave and old cast iron sink are all white. There is no dishwasher and we're not planning on adding one. The walls are red, floor is pine. The counters are sticky vinyl tiles, yuck! I want to put in butcher block as soon as possible! I know stainless is the thing right now, and I always try to think of resale, but we're not planning on moving any time soon. I'm thinking the white stove might be better? Any opinions or even better, pictures?

Marie

1900ish Victorianish
Mury

Re: Stainless steel range?

Postby Julie&Glen » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:50 pm

How bout this old beauty? Found it at a thrift store for $75. May still be there.
Attachments
Old stove.JPG
Old stove.JPG (51.49 KiB) Viewed 5026 times
Julie&Glen

Postby Nancy W » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:08 pm

Go with what looks best. Besides, I am hearing that stainless steel is near the end of its popularity. Then it will be like having an avacado green stove. :o
Nancy
Nancy
Lower Brambly circa 1895
"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
Nancy W

Postby wletson » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:53 am

I'm not sure a stainless range would look quite right.

I like the idea that Julie&Glen put forward. There are certainly a lot of people here using the older stoves and love them. The money you'd spend on a brand new range could be put into buying one of the older stoves with character and have someone look at the wiring to ensure it is good.
The overall look of your kitchen would be completely cohesive.
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby Mury » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:12 am

I am open to a vintage stove, certainly like the look. However, I DO cook, and I don't want to give up function. I need to be able to get a turkey in the oven, need oven temps to be accurate, burners level, etc. Do those of you who have them use them on a daily basis? What are the drawbacks of a vintage stove?
Marie

1900ish Victorianish
Mury

Postby kellie » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:25 am

I use my vintage stove every single day, I cooked my Thanksgiving turkey in it, I bake cakes in it, I make pancakes on the griddle, and if I had the rotisserie hardware, I'd use that too. I lived in a brand new apartment complex before I bought my house and there was a brand new gas stove in the kitchen that just didn't even compare. I MUCH prefer my old stove. My mom has a top of the line Viking stove in her kitchen and my vintage O'Keefe and Merritt actually has more features (except it isn't self cleaning). As far as accurate oven temp, I always keep a thermometer in the oven because there is no little light that comes on to tell you it's preheated, and I've found that my oven tends to run 25* high, so I just set it a little lower than I actually want it, and the temp holds pretty steady.

I have made friends with two guys who repair and restore old stoves for a living. They can do professional cleanings on them and have offered to help me find a stove (mine is late 50's and I want an older one), clean it and inspect it for me. I would see if you can find someone who does something similar in your area. Also, browse Craigslist for awhile and see what brands seem to be the most common in your part of the country, and stick with one of those. Don't get something totally crazy and rare because if something breaks, you may end up kicking yourself.

The good thing about old stoves is that they seem to be a dime a dozen on Craigslist and their value isn't going to fluctuate, so if you get one, try it out and decide it isn't for you, you can always sell it for what you paid and move on to something else.

An old stove is nothing like an old car. Don't be afraid! Come to the dark side!
kellie

Postby Jack Willard » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:10 am

Mury wrote:I am open to a vintage stove, certainly like the look. However, I DO cook, and I don't want to give up function. I need to be able to get a turkey in the oven, need oven temps to be accurate, burners level, etc. Do those of you who have them use them on a daily basis? What are the drawbacks of a vintage stove?

I absolutely love the look of some of those vintage stoves.

If you can find a vintage stove that has all the cooking functions and oven size that you need to do the kind of cooking that you prefer, then by all means do that.

On the other hand however, don't cut youself short if you are really into cooking. There is nothing like having a range that is really comfortable to use and easy to clean. Remember that the Kitchen is the most used and congregated-in room in the house. Make the COOK HAPPY first. Ranges are so easy and fast to replace. The next owner of your home can always put in whatever they like. Please yourself first!

We really wanted a large range for two reasons, first because it made so much sense in a six bedroom house, and second because having two ovens is so needed when making food for entertaining. Alright, being presented with the opportunity to buy a commercial type stove at a wholesale price sure made the decision easy. Here is ours.

Jack Willard
ImageOn the way to California in 1972
http://members.oldhouseweb.com/jack_willard/Index.html
Jack Willard

Postby LisaW » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:44 am

I just recently faced the same decision. I agree with Jack. I lovvvveee the look of vintage stoves, but having one in my kitchen just wasn't practical. In my tiny, less-than-8.5' x 13' kitchen, space was a major consideration. I opted to go for a built-in, below-counter oven (stainless) with a glass cooktop directly over it. I think it allows my little kitchen to look less "chopped up", giving more visual continuity and perhaps making it look a tiny bit less...well...tiny! From a practicality standpoint, the knob-less, glass cooktop set directly in the butcher block counter allows me to extend my counter space. When I come in from a grocery trip, I can plop my bags right on the counter including the cooktop area.

When I was putting in the new kitchen, my sister happened to be doing a high-end renovation of her own. As a result, she had a practically brand new Bosch dishwasher up for grabs. It is white. I was a little worried about mixing finished in the kitchen, but I'm actually really pleased with the end result. The all white dishwasher blends nicely with the white cabinets, and I think also has the effect of not chopping up the small kitchen visually.

(Please excuse the exposed wires on top of the cabinets--it's a work in progress! An outlet is going up there for the under cabinet and interior lights)

(I posted these recently in a separate thread, and I'll repeat here what I said there--the ugly replacement window is a place holder--$75 on Craigslist--until I find an old window of the proper dimensions! My original window dipped below the counter surface and had to go).

As far as the trend of stainless steel and the impact on resale, everything I've read has said that stainless is more popular than ever and is here to stay. I did tons of research before I took the plunge. I don't think you run the risk of looking dated in a bad way.

Bottom line, go with what you like!

:) Lisa
Anna P. Evans House - 1912
Historic District
Doylestown, PA
LisaW

Postby Don M » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:16 pm

We have a small custom built kitchen that only had room for a 30" range. It came with an old partially functioning range with a dead microwave as one unit. I bought the Matag Gemini stainless range with the flat glass top & double ovens 10 years ago. I also installed a stainless Amana over-the-counter microwave. We have been very pleased with the result visually as well as functionally. The cabinets are stained raised panel, the Bosch DW is black, & the Kenmore fridge is white. It doesn't ppear visually odd or unusual so as the rest said, do what makes sense to you. Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby sundine2 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:34 pm

Yep go with what suits you. I love my stainless range. I think that you can easily change the look of a room when you have stainless. I don't think it will ever go the way of "avacado or gold" appliances and be outdated. [img][img][/img][/img]Image

Here is a pic of my stove. Sorry about the quality and the mess on the island. The range and hood were last yr models and the place had discounted them when we first looked at them. When we finally made up our minds to do the kitchen we went back to the place selling these and the owner gave them to us at his cost so we really saved a lot of money.

TEri
sundine2

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum