dcsimg

Minwax Hardwood Floor Reviver Reviews?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: TinaB, Don M, Schag, oldhouse

Minwax Hardwood Floor Reviver Reviews?

Postby Queen Anne Victorian » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:11 pm

I am curious to know if anyone here has tried Minwax's Hardwood Floor Reviver? I am looking to put a little shine back into some oak stairs that were covered by carpet for years and no longer have a finish on them. They are in great shape, but they look very dull. I'd like to avoid sanding them, so I thought I might give this a try.

Here is a link to the product website:
http://www.minwax.com/products/hardwood ... viver.html

Thanks, and I'd appreciate any feedback you can give me.
1894 Marshall Woodard House
Queen Anne Victorian

Re: Minwax Hardwood Floor Reviver Reviews?

Postby khwils » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:26 pm

I've not used this particular product but I've used "Bruce's One Step", I think it's the same thing. It really works well to make your floors even out and shine up but it's temporary. It even says on the web page it's for 3 - 6 months.

A long term solution would be a light sanding since you have no finish left and reapply a floor finish. I've used Varithane with pretty good success and it's an easy application. But the finish on the floor I did wasn't quite thick enough for me. I only gave it two coats though as we were anxious to get it on the market. I plan on sanding a dining/living room in the next week or two. I will be using a dark, dark stain and using the Varithane again. This is a Douglas Fir floor, we'll see how this one turns out.

I'm also going to try one of the big orbital sanders on this floor, I've only used the drum sander so far.

Kurt
khwils

Postby cs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:10 pm

I used it. It works really well, though as stated, it's only a temporary fix. How temporary depends on your household.

I might be nervous, though, about applying it to a wood surface that might require a REAL finish to be applied in the near future. Seems like there COULD be adhesion issues, possibly.

Chris
http://www.saracenihouse.com
cs

Postby moonshadow317 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:17 pm

I have had great sucess washing the floor with warm water and soap suds. I then dry well with some old soft towels. After they are dry I give them a couple of coats of shellac. We did our stairs like this.

Karen
moonshadow317

Postby 1880 Stick Victorian » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:40 pm

i am trying the Minwax Reviver tonight and using it as a short term product until i can sand and seal my floors, i'll let you know how it goes.
scott
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880
1880 Stick Victorian

Postby Queen Anne Victorian » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:33 am

Thanks, everyone, for the responses. Moonshadow, how much sanding was involved with your staircase project? Before you started and in between the coats of shellac, did you just hand sand or was it more involved? Stick Victorian, I'll be interested in hearing your results!

We will be installing a carpet runner on our staircase, I am looking to use the reviver to improve the look of the sides of the wood steps not covered by the carpet. Ideally, the finish would not even be walked on.
1894 Marshall Woodard House
Queen Anne Victorian

Postby khwils » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:02 pm

Just this past weekend I worked on some trim in a house that has never been painted. I used a rag soaked with stain and cleaned/rubbed down all of the trim. It evened out a lot of the color and cleaned at the same time! I even went right over decades old paint splatters and gave them a tint as well. I then applied a coat of shellac over it. It really turned out nice. A second coat would help even out the sheen. I didn't bother to test if the original finish was shellac or something else, I just went over it with amber shellac.

I just wanted a quick fix for this house. If I were going to do a more throurough job I would have cleaned it first, removed paint, stained, shellac with 2 coats.

It really turned out nice though. I have another property I might revisit and do the same thing.

Kurt
khwils

Postby moonshadow317 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:06 pm

Sanded??? I never sanded the floor. That's what's so great about shellac. :D It don't need no stinkin sandin :D You just paint it on. Let it dry between layers about a half hour or so and give it another coat. Let dry and repeat, I usually do 3 coats. If it ever gets scratched just give it another coat. The scratches disappear because the new shellac melts the old and blends in. I use the Zinser shellac already mixed in the can that you can get at Lowes or Home depot. Some people use flakes and mix up thier own with denatured alcholol, but the Zinser works fine for me.
Karen
moonshadow317

Postby boot » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:21 pm

What's the difference between how the normal and amber versions look? I would be scared to start using one and then find out it doesn't look so hot.
1875 High Victorian Italianate - "Peter Martin House"
North Jefferson Historic District
http://picasaweb.google.com/willpatch/1875Victorian#
boot

Postby moonshadow317 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:07 pm

Normal is clear (wet the floor with some denatured alcohol to see the color) Amber is a more yellowish tone and garnett is a redish. If you want to go with a color then you should do it in a small inconspicous spot. You could always clean it off with a rag and denatured if you don't like the look. I only use the clear.
Karen
moonshadow317

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum