Show us your flower beds!

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Mury

Re: Show us your flower beds!

Post by Mury »

KathyJB wrote:Are Hosta hard to grow? I have several shady areas that would probably work for planting them.
Hostas are really easy! Definitely get some. I had a huge one that I chopped into 4 parts and all came back the next spring.
Marie

1900ish Victorianish

KathyJB

Post by KathyJB »

Hostas are really easy! Definitely get some. I had a huge one that I chopped into 4 parts and all came back the next spring.
Ya gotta love a plant like that! :lol: I moved around several things this year. I have a Night Blooming Jasmine that was planted under the man room window. It was pretty strong and the guys didn't like it so I moved it to by the dog pen, lol. I moved my Bougainvillea to the window pane fence in front of the butane tank and I moved another plant to where that used to be. All are still growing. :D

Kansas. 1911.

Post by Kansas. 1911. »

Better than hostas are FREE hostas. A friend thinned hers, gave me some, and they are hardy. Even better than a free hosta is free from a friend that you can thin yourself and get even more.
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage

CountryGirl

Post by CountryGirl »

Such pretty flowers and gardens. Hostas are a hardy plant, even I haven't
killed them. :)
Kathy JB, so clever how you incorporated other elements
into your garden. Very cool.

Susan

pqtex

Post by pqtex »

It isn't a flower garden. This is the garden that feeds us.

There are blooms on the tomatoes, bell peppers, strawberries, dewberries and blackberries. The cilantro has gotten tall and has lacy white blooms now, which I guess makes it coriander now. The warm weather has caused the kale and broccoli to bolt, but the yellow blooms are pretty. I gathered the last of the broccoli today, which will make way for something else to be planted in its place.

P.S. I actually have nice St. Augustine grass throughout my yard...except for that bare, sandy spot at the bottom of the photo. That is where the county drainage ditch district had to come fill in the tire tracks. Yep. The supervisor for the work crew that day got mixed up on locations and drove to the end of my street, (my house is at the end of the dead end), down my shell driveway, off the driveway, onto the grass, past my garage and garden, all the way to back fence at the back of my property before he realized he was in the wrong place. The weather had been wet and it's a miracle he didn't get stuck with that dually truck, but he left horrendous ruts on my property, my mother's adjoining property, and the neighbor's. If I hadn't just happened to see him leaving and chased him down, I'd have never known what bozo had been driving through my yard. Apparently he wasn't going to 'fess up on his own. However, once cornered, he offered to come back and fix it. AFTER I called his supervisor and asked them (nicely) to come repair the damage. It has been several months, and although they pretty much fixed the ruts, the sand they used as fill came with big rocks and awful weeds that we're now fighting. Ugh. At what point should he have realized that he was on private property, and nowhere near the local drainage ditch. Think the "Private Property - No Trespassing" signs at my gate should have been a clue? How about the city's "Dead End Street" sign? How about the end of the driveway? Or driving past a garage, garden, and the neighbor's barn? Okay, so maybe I got derailed from the flower bed thread, but at least I feel better! :mrgreen:
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org

KathyJB

Post by KathyJB »

some kids decided it would be fun to pick up mine and my neighbors trashcans and haul them to the end of the street, only they went a little further and ran over them. I'm just glad it wasn't a case of identity theft.
I bought more Lantana and some Huechera? today for the north side of the house. My tiller is out of the shop, yay, and I am going to get busy tomorrow if it doesn't rain. I hope I'm not too far behind in getting the garden started. :(

wletson

Post by wletson »

This gardening stuff is driving me crazy! Because of the risk of frost, it is common not to plant veggies here til the third week of May. Still 5 weeks to go, and that's just planting! :shock:
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren

KathyJB

Post by KathyJB »

My dads rule of thumb was to not plant until after Easter. The new flowers I bought are hardy and can withstand temps in the high 20's, so I went ahead and planted the week before Easter. Going to start on my veggie garden today. there is a break in the rain right now and it hasn't rained enough to keep me from tilling, so a tilling I will go, a tilling I will go, hi ho the merrio a tilling I will go :lol:

oldhouseluvr

Post by oldhouseluvr »

Hi, Janie! Most of my spring bulbs are finished blooming and I worked late the last couple of weeks and it was dark by the time I got home, so no pictures. :( BUT, DH and I did spend last weekend in Cape May, NJ and I took some pictures there. These are from various gardens around Cape May.

This is the Inn where we stayed

And a close up of this flower bed

The front gate

oldhouseluvr

Post by oldhouseluvr »

Here are a few more