Show us your flower beds!

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

mejane

Show us your flower beds!

Post by mejane »

Oh I love Spring and all it brings with it, especially flowers and gardens! Can you please post yours for inspiration???
~~Janie~~
1907 Four Square

Sombreuil_Mongrel

Re: Show us your flower beds!

Post by Sombreuil_Mongrel »

Hi,
I lived in the house that had this garden (this is about 5% of that garden, 'twas huge!)
I worked on restoring this garden for about 3 years, finally quit when I moved and got my present house.
This is the most intense area of that garden; 1200 tulips, spring 1994: (the before is spring 1991)

Casey

Luetic

Post by Luetic »

wow! That is beautiful!

antiquehomestyle

Post by antiquehomestyle »

Someday it will get a bench.

S Melissa

Post by S Melissa »

Wow Casey - that's spectacular. Do you have more pics of this garden?
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home

Sombreuil_Mongrel

Post by Sombreuil_Mongrel »

I have reams of stuff on that garden; large-format landscape survey drawings, some 1899 photos, some 1929 photos, and lots of my own snapshots; all pre-digital, and my scanner's not hooked up, but someday...
For now, peruse this chapter:
http://books.google.com/books?id=psCawz ... en&f=false
Casey

KathyJB

Post by KathyJB »

I've been planting up a storm since we lost about everything this past 2 years due to drought. It's been raining this winter and early spring. I hope it doesn't decide to stop raining because everything is so pretty this year. The mosquitoes are pretty big too. I hope someone re-posts this in another month. My flowers are pretty small yet.
If you look to the upper left by that wooden fence, you can see where my veggie garden is going. My tiller is in the shop :( I am in the process of acquiring another 1/2 lot to our property. It goes almost to that green building you see. Back when this town was created, they gave away 1/2 lots in town to people who bought larger acres of land. As a result, deeds are scattered all over the USA as people decided it wasn't worth their time to grow figs. Cattle and Rice took over. Most deeds are lost. There is one 25x150 lot owned by a woman in El Paso, Tx that just won't sell to us. We have been trying for decades. I don't know why she is hanging on to it and it's in between the house and the other lots we own. :evil: My family has been mowing and getting rid of the dead trees in that spot for decades. Heifer!

Ribnitz

Post by Ribnitz »

I love spring and summer and I love my flowerbeds! I'm kind of known around the neighborhood as the "house with all the flowers on the corner" It occupies most of my free time April-October- but I love it! It's getting close to planting time this year and I am chomping on the bit! The pictures are from last summer

This is the front of the house, left side of the front steps

front of the house- right side of the steps

this is the backyard

Kansas. 1911.

Post by Kansas. 1911. »

Ribnitz, I bow to you. I have a little hosta garden and I go out to talk to them every day.
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage

KathyJB

Post by KathyJB »

Are Hosta hard to grow? I have several shady areas that would probably work for planting them.