The Thaddeus W. Bayless House

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: The Thaddeus W. Bayless House

Postby airgrabber on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:20 am

I was going to make up a plaque with a fake name for my house, something like "the SVEN SVINKELSTEIN HOUSE circa 1921". :wink: Sounded quite memorable to me!
Three may keep a secret, if two are dead.
Circa 1921 Dutch Colonial Revival
airgrabber

Postby Vaso7 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:35 am

My house used to be known as the "Judge's" house (first owner was a judge) or the "Hutchins" house (second owner).
However, because it is big and not taken care for the last 30 years is now known as "the big green falling apart house".
I am trying to do what is necessary to go back to "Judge Cary" or "Wales&Holt" (the architect) house but I am not sure I am getting anywhere. I am ordering a plaque, so see if that brings any luck.
1902 Shingle
Designed by Wales&Holt for Mr and Mrs W. A. Cary
Vaso7

Postby s.kelly on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:44 am

That is a great name, I bet if you use it is will start to catch on. Some names flow,others do not. But Thaddeus W Bayless works. Good luck on making it oficial and commonplace.

I plan to one day get the info together and get a plaque for our place.It is a small common house but it was the Reverend Appleton that owned it first.
s.kelly

Postby boot on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:53 am

The director of the Historic Landmarks Foundation of NE Indiana is a friend and she explains it like this:

The house is named usually for the builder, longest living early owner, or most historically significant owner. Most are builder or most historically significant, unless neither is known. When in doubt, I would go with historically significant unless the builder has a cooler name or the reason the person is known is less than tasteful.
1875 High Victorian Italianate - "Peter Martin House"
North Jefferson Historic District
http://picasaweb.google.com/willpatch/1875Victorian#
boot

Postby melissakd on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:50 pm

Igloo, that is an excellent point. Everyone knew our sainted PO Bob, as we have discovered. In fact, when we introduced ourselves, many of them eyed us suspiciously as though we might not be fit successors.

Boot, who makes the decision, or where do you write it down? I highly doubt the U.S. Department of the Interior would consider our house interesting except as part of the neighborhood.

Airgrabber, I can only recommend that you hurry up and get a plaque made, because when my DH hears "The Sven Svinkelstein House," he will like it even better than "T.W. Bayless" or "Bob." (No, really. In a related story, he thinks Mike Myers is funny. Very, very, hilariously funny.)

OHL, yes, Allen County has done the Historic Sites and Structures Inventory, but in it, our house is just called by the aforementioned non-glamorous "XXX Main Street."

I'll run these suggestions past my DH and tell you what he says. :)

MelissaKD
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby boot on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:58 pm

It would be on any applications for historic status of either the district or building. If you contact the Historic Landmarks Foundation they can get you the name, if there is one.
1875 High Victorian Italianate - "Peter Martin House"
North Jefferson Historic District
http://picasaweb.google.com/willpatch/1875Victorian#
boot

Postby PowerMuffin on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:27 pm

I made a plaque for our house that says it is the Hauger, Fudge, Benton....(abut 10 more names, Hager House. I consider this my spoof on naming houses. Ours certainly is not a significant home. If it was and I was trying to sell it, I would write up a short history and make that part of the flyer detailing the features of the house. Most old house lovers appreciate the history of the home.

Diane
PowerMuffin

Postby Danno on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:56 pm

melissakd wrote:..."XXX Main Street."...
MelissaKD

now that's a street I think I might like to live on...oh, wait....the Xs represent numbers.....nevermind.....
1858 Italianate and Gothic Inspired thingamabob
HappyInHartwood: "You can't make something 'more' ruined."
Danno

Postby melissakd on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:00 pm

PowerMuffin wrote:I made a plaque for our house that says it is the Hauger, Fudge, Benton....(abut 10 more names, Hager House. I consider this my spoof on naming houses. Ours certainly is not a significant home. If it was and I was trying to sell it, I would write up a short history and make that part of the flyer detailing the features of the house. Most old house lovers appreciate the history of the home.

Diane

Ours would be the Bayless - Harter -Mattison - McClure - Hallenstein - Double - B_____ - C____ - Investors - Bob House. : )

Our house is of no particular significance, though there is interesting history. I've been forced to admit that it is an investment property: very large, but lacking "gentrifier bait" to tempt people who could afford it. It's zoned R2 (residential two-family).

The history includes two sad stories which I don't have time to tell today, but can if you-all are interested.

MKD
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby Igloochic on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:58 pm

Of course we want to hear the stories goof ball :P Get cracking.

So I wonder...if my house was smaller, would it be the "Jim" house, less formal than James of course....

You wouldn't want to go with initials...the TB house does not have a good ring. We could go for our places most illustrious use, and the second longest...The Place you sent your daughter when she was in a "difficult" condition House.,..but that's so long on a plaque. I suppose we should stick with James :wink:
The James House - 1889 "Modern" Queen Anne
Igloochic

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions Forum