dcsimg

The Thaddeus W. Bayless House

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: The Thaddeus W. Bayless House

Postby melissakd on Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:32 pm

Done and done! Will start separate thread for the stories.

MKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby michaelskis on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:03 am

Going to Bump the Thread.

When we bought our house, we had no idea regarding the history. But when I started digging, I found out that the first owners of the house, Edmund and A. Bell Barry, only lived there for about 12 years, but in that time they raised two kids, and the house was built for them as a wedding gift. Therefore, I have officially named it "The Edmund Barry House".

Here is a blog post on who Edmund Barry was. http://heritagehillhome.wordpress.com/2012/09/21/who-was-edmund-barry/

On the other hand, one family did live there for over 50 years... but they also broke it into apartments, so they loose all naming rights.
Last edited by michaelskis on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
1890 Edmund Barry House
Heritage Hill Neighborhood
Grand Rapids, Michigan
http://heritagehillhome.wordpress.com/

michaelskis

Postby mfglickman on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:12 am

Ours has a plaque on it - makes it easy. :)
mfglickman

Postby SouthernLady on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:23 pm

Pre-named is nice. I had to dig for mine. I found Ancestry.com to be rather helpful. I got a paper trail of the deeds back to 1971, when it dropped off the map. I started with the latest name I had and started Googling. I found an obituary, then put that info into Ancestry.com. From there, I got a bunch of hits which led to census reports. I pinned my house to circa 1895. I was also able to find the last direct descendant of the builder, John James McCuison, put them into Legacy.com for their obituary, and found their closest living descendant. I then located their phone number and gave a call. Fortunately, they were quite excited about someone fixing up the old homeplace and they are sending family members on a mission to send me copies of old photographs!

Where can you get plaques made?
SouthernLady

Postby mjt on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:27 pm

SouthernLady wrote:Where can you get plaques made?

Lot's of places; do a google search for "national register plaques" and you'll get a ton of results. I don't recall where we purchased ours.
mjt

Postby utopia13 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:08 pm

SouthernLady wrote:Pre-named is nice. I had to dig for mine. I found Ancestry.com to be rather helpful. I got a paper trail of the deeds back to 1971, when it dropped off the map. I started with the latest name I had and started Googling. I found an obituary, then put that info into Ancestry.com. From there, I got a bunch of hits which led to census reports. I pinned my house to circa 1895. I was also able to find the last direct descendant of the builder, John James McCuison, put them into Legacy.com for their obituary, and found their closest living descendant. I then located their phone number and gave a call. Fortunately, they were quite excited about someone fixing up the old homeplace and they are sending family members on a mission to send me copies of old photographs!

Where can you get plaques made?

How do you search properties on Ancestry? I have an acct there but never saw any search info for physical addresses. Only people.
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby ryguyb1993 on Sun May 20, 2018 6:47 pm

Hello Melissa. I wish I could send this via private message, but since my account is new, the system won't allow me. My name is Ryan Bayless, and I am an descendant of Thaddeus Bayless (His brother James is my x3 great grandfather). I've been studying our family tree for a number of years, and in doing some research on Thaddeus, I stumbled onto your posts here. I see I'm a little bit late to the party, and you haven't been active here in a while. However, if you do see this, please email me at bayless.ryan@yahoo.com. I would love to talk a little bit about your research, and share with you some of mine. Thank you!
ryguyb1993

Previous

Return to General Discussions Forum