dcsimg

Do you hate your kitchen so much...

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Do you hate your kitchen so much...

Postby melissakd on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:18 pm

I actually would find a skeleton interesting, while the bathtub find was merely disappointing. We already know of several births, deaths and funerals that took place in the house, so it wouldn't creep me out, plus the place absolutely is not haunted.

The only reason not to think it was a clawfoot bathtub is that the piece was relatively small; if they all were that size, there'd have been at least a dozen, which is a bit more than you absolutely have to do if you're cutting up an old tub. Perhaps it was just an old pipe. I'll have to photograph it.

The original PO, Thaddeus W. Bayless, died in February 1865 for no discernible reason. I've racked my brains but can't come up with much.
--He had a wife and three young children, including the most recent addition, his first son; they'd just built a new house, and owned two or three other town lots, not exactly the signs of financial or domestic distress. The Baylesses were a modestly prominent local pioneer family who could have helped him out if necessary.
--He was a saddler by trade; no occupational hazards there. He had made no will, so presumably he didn't have a terminal illness during which to plan ahead. It makes no sense to me that their toddler would survive an epidemic disease while an adult male would not.
--I couldn't find him in any of the local cemeteries where I've been able to look. He did die prior to the establishment of the obligatory mid/late-Vic garden-style cemetery on the outskirts of town, so he might have been left behind in the old in-town burial ground, but as I say, his extended family were in town, and could afford to move him, as most of the other bodies were.
--There is no record of his having served in the Civil War, nor any mention of him among local veterans, dead or alive, on Decoration Days. And again, if he'd gone to war he might have made a will. He wasn't underage and so would not have joined under an alias.
--I have found no coroner's or other vital records pertaining to his death, but by now I've forgotten whether the records for that month are lost or just didn't mention him. The last ditch was the local newspaper. Of course obituary practice wasn't what it later became, but if he'd been ill, or met a misadventure such as being thrown from a horse, it probably would have been mentioned. BUT back in the 1960s or '70s, some unspeakable person stole the public library's bound volumes of the 1865 local newspapers, either for himself or to sell to a Lincolniana collector. So there's a Civil War aficionado out there somewhere who knows my PO's fate, and I don't. :evil: So I say, bring on the skeleton!
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby Leslie Ap on Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:31 am

It's done! We did it! We are done with the kitchen! (Huge sigh of relief, here.)

We've removed the laminate everything. We refinished the original floor, added wood cabinets with single recessed panels (painted white), and satin nickel fixtures. I feel obliged to say: it's not totally period. We took inspiration from the original built-ins in our home, choosing cabinet style, cab pulls and knobs, and in deciding to paint the cabs white. With only one restoration geek in the house, I think this is a decent middle ground, that includes the modern conveniences. Feel free to take a look: http://nepdxbungalow.blogspot.com/2011/ ... -done.html

So glad it's done!
Leslie Ap

Postby Don M on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:32 pm

Hi Leslie,
You all did a wonderful kitchen remodel; very nice job in quite a small space! Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby Leslie Ap on Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:05 pm

Thanks- that room is about 7.5 feet by 10.5 feet. It is pretty tight in there, but we hardly notice with the new layout. We tried to work with things that would look appropriate in the house. I'm just glad it's done!
Leslie Ap

Postby kculp on Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:27 pm

melissakd said:

The original PO, Thaddeus W. Bayless, died in February 1865 for no discernible reason. I've racked my brains but can't come up with much.
--He had a wife and three young children, including the most recent addition, his first son; they'd just built a new house, and owned two or three other town lots, not exactly the signs of financial or domestic distress. The Baylesses were a modestly prominent local pioneer family who could have helped him out if necessary.
--He was a saddler by trade; no occupational hazards there. He had made no will, so presumably he didn't have a terminal illness during which to plan ahead. It makes no sense to me that their toddler would survive an epidemic disease while an adult male would not.
--I couldn't find him in any of the local cemeteries where I've been able to look. He did die prior to the establishment of the obligatory mid/late-Vic garden-style cemetery on the outskirts of town, so he might have been left behind in the old in-town burial ground, but as I say, his extended family were in town, and could afford to move him, as most of the other bodies were.
--There is no record of his having served in the Civil War, nor any mention of him among local veterans, dead or alive, on Decoration Days. And again, if he'd gone to war he might have made a will. He wasn't underage and so would not have joined under an alias.
--I have found no coroner's or other vital records pertaining to his death, but by now I've forgotten whether the records for that month are lost or just didn't mention him. The last ditch was the local newspaper. Of course obituary practice wasn't what it later became, but if he'd been ill, or met a misadventure such as being thrown from a horse, it probably would have been mentioned. BUT back in the 1960s or '70s, some unspeakable person stole the public library's bound volumes of the 1865 local newspapers, either for himself or to sell to a Lincolniana collector. So there's a Civil War aficionado out there somewhere who knows my PO's fate, and I don't. :evil: So I say, bring on the skeleton!

Not sure if you still post here or still own the house, but I think I can shed a little light on this.

I’m very intrigued by your posts and am looking for more on Thaddeus W. Bayless as well. Assuming this is the same person that owned your home, his daughter, Mary Etta Bayless, is my great grandmother and lived on our family farm property in Western PA. The farm remains in our family.

According to a biographical record of Wayne County, Ohio, published in 1889, he was killed by Indians. His wife (Margaret Bayless, née Long) moved to Derry, PA and married her cousin (taking the surname of Long once again). This is published in the history of the Long family starting on page 316 of “Commemorative Biographical Record of Wayne County, Ohio - Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens and of Many of the Early Settled Families,” Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1889.

If you still post here and can offer more background information, that would be great.
kculp

Postby davidmitchell139 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:15 am

Most of people don't hate.
davidmitchell139

Previous

Return to General Discussions Forum