Do you hate your kitchen so much...

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Do you hate your kitchen so much...

Postby melissakd on Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:28 pm

lupinfarm wrote:Stupid ugly old fashioned pot lights.

And by that term of endearment do you mean the recessed one, also called a 'can light' in USA, or the other one, which is popularly known on these boards as a 'boob light' ? Bless you, I notice you're stuck with both of them. :)

If you want to convert the recessed can/pot light there are conversion kits:
http://www.thecanconverter.com/store/

or if you really like the recessed one and hate the other, there are conversion kits for that too:
http://www.greenelectricalsupply.com/ma ... t-kit.aspx

:)
MKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby lupinfarm on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:30 pm

Yep they are I guess I have one boob light and 2 can lights. The can lights are all yellowed around the trim and the bulbs cost
about $16.00 a piece and the boob light I bought on sale as a temp replacement for a really nasty fan/light combo thingy that
was laiden down with about 5 years of cooking grease and just hanging by a thread ready to fall onto someones head ( probably mine since I do the cooking). I hope to replace the boob light and the cans with more appropriate lighting and more
discreet cans. Ones that are way smaller than a beer can. I bet the cans are full of dead cluster flies, just like all the other
old lights. Yuck. I guess there will be no volunteers from other family members to remove them. That will be my honor. Well I am mumbling on. There are many, many projects before the kitchen gets done. Although I think I should just invite Mike Holmes in and he can "Drop the ceiling, the walls and everything else". Thanks for the links I will check them out. About the only thing I like about my kitchen is the ceiling. I dont think it is original but its cottagey and cozy.
Attachments
From John's Sanyo Camera 099.JPG
Oh sunny days!
From John's Sanyo Camera 099.JPG (64.5 KiB) Viewed 9292 times
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Postby Leslie Ap on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:08 am

I just got clued into the phrase "boob light." I had to laugh, the other morning, when I read the phrase for the first time, and saw a picture. I peaked over my laptop screen (yep, I was still in bed) at the boob light on our bedroom ceiling. We have replaced one (in the kitchen) and have four remaining. Not sure what we'll replace the others with. I feel like "School house" fixtures are getting pretty trendy, and while they'd look good, I don't want to hate them a few years from now. Like all things burgundy and forest green, from the 90s. Does anyone have any suggestions, besides boob light or school light?
Leslie Ap

Postby melissakd on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:09 pm

well as a matter of fact I do have some suggestions . . . you know me

Terrific collection of about a dozen pages from lighting catalogs of the 1920s
http://www.flickr.com/photos/daily-bung ... 122819075/

Here's another option for placement of that 'half-shell' fixture we so often see above bathroom mirrors: task lighting in the kitchen. 1928 sink ad illo.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/americanvi ... 159119663/

If you wanna get creative, this 1928 sink ad shows a fabric drape over the ceiling pendant's own shade. (I'd check into the fire safety angle before I did this.)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/americanvi ... 231389169/

For more ideas on what fixture was placed where, Daily Bungalow and American Vintage Home (my two favorite Flickr accounts) have tons of period ads and other illos.
As for actually finding these to buy, besides salvage yards, Rejuvenation has actual period-looking lighting (much more so than Restoration Hardware).

MKD
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby MsMatthews on Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:38 am

Leslie Ap wrote:I just got clued into the phrase "boob light."

Haha that makes two of us! I will never see them any other way now.
MsMatthews

Postby squiff on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:11 am

OMG I can relate to this thread. I have the kitchen from HELL. I call it the "refugee kitchen." I told my husband I would only marry him and move in only if I could have a 20 cubit foot dumpster and gut the kitchen. It. Is. THAT. Bad.

The "cupboards" are from the 40s I think, but no historic charm. Just decaying, warped, paint flaking wood-like substance. The counter is fake butcher block laminate with metal trim. The floor is crappy fake wood vinyl. The stove is old, cheap, and electric and sits at a tilt. No ventilation hood. Not to code, the cabinet hovers right over the top of it, it was clearly jerryrigged into place.

The layout is dreadful. The room is huge and has much potential but it has virtually no storage or counter space.

Oh, and it's painted puke yellow.

I like yellow, but it's not sunny yellow or warm yellow or happy yellow... it is puke yellow.

My grandfather recently died and thanks to the Republicans (I feel very conflicted about this), there is no estate tax is 2010, so I'm coming into a larger than expected inheritance -- and when the funds hit, the FIRST THING I AM DOING is gutting the kitchen. I'm then going to make a little plaque and call it the Eric Boehner memorial kitchen, maybe photoshop him flipping pancakes or something.

Meanwhile I persist in the refugee kitchen.
squiff

Postby senegal_jen on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:04 am

Squiff...

Ugly kitchen or not...your home is lovely. That picture with the irises is just beautiful!
senegal_jen

Postby squiff on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:36 am

Thanks Jen! They're bluebonnets. It is a very fine home... it's just that the kitchen is beyond the pale.

It has Potential though.

I read that codependency is addiction to the potential of things. I have a codependent relationship with this house.
squiff

Postby melissakd on Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:05 pm

Squiff...when the great day finally arrives...save the metal edging from your countertops. You can't get that stuff any more except from a specialty seller of retro restaurant booths, and it costs an arm and a leg.

If you don't want to re-use it in any kind of retro kitchen scheme, I'll buy it from you. It's just what I need to make the linoleum countertops of my dreams. :)

Also, lovely house. It looks like one here that was among the first old houses I ever coveted, as a teenager.

MelissaKD
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby squiff on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:43 pm

Really? Assuming it comes off, it's all yours. I'm not sure how you extract it from the ugly laminate it is attached to, but I'll certainly look into it.

Thanks for the compliments on the house. It is a lovely house. It just needs.... well... everything. We're at the beginning of the renovation process... onward, upward!
squiff

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions Forum