dcsimg

Ceiling light fixture, no switch, always on

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Ceiling light fixture, no switch, always on

Postby Cliff on Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:46 pm

Ideas? There is no light switch
sears carlin
Cliff

Re: Ceiling light fixture, no switch, always on

Postby Raine on Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:34 pm

was there a pull chain on it at some time?
Raine

Postby Cliff on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:36 pm

no idea. there was a track light up there for years that didn't have any lights in it, it was just the track. finally got around to taking it down and tried to put up a flush mount... doesn't seem to be connected to a switch anywhere. can you get flush mount style lights with pull chains as it seems that is the only option. i'm definitely not trying to connect it to a switch.
sears carlin
Cliff

Postby BobG on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:34 pm

we used to unscrew the bulbs in the house I grew up in ...

Seriously, though, you could probably put up a fixture with a pull chain
Square, Plumb, or Level ... Pick two.
Our Home: 3,550sf 1891 Queen Anne / Victorian Eclectic
http://www.1160main.com/webdoc7.htm
visit my blog and make a comment
BobG

Postby Patchules on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:35 pm

Leave a little stool or kitchen step ladder nearby and use it to reach the bulb. Unscrew bulb when darkness is desired.
Patchules

Postby Igloochic on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:38 pm

I know that Rejuvination can put a pull chain on a fixture if you want one (option on theirs anyhoo).

We have many lights without switches here, all on one system that turns them off and on with a timer. No switch at all....personally, I like switches.
The James House - 1889 "Modern" Queen Anne
Igloochic

Postby 1880 Stick Victorian on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:20 pm

we had the same thing in our parlor, previous owners had removed the gas electric fixture and put up a ceiling fan. with a pull cord. Wanting to remove the ceiling fan but trying to figure out how to turn the fixture off without getting a chair to unscrew the lights. Removing wallpaper in the foyer, previous owner had removed switch and connected the wires and then wallpapered over the box, now to get my electrician neighbor to reinstall a switch. Maybe you might have a similiar situation?

The other thing i was going to do was to somehow rig up a remote switch...like what they use for ceiling fans to turn them on and off but do that for the light fixture.
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880
1880 Stick Victorian

Postby s.kelly on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:01 pm

Pull chain can be put in most light fixtures easily. They carry them at the big box,or any competent electrician should be able to do it.

I am also wondering if there is a switched receptacle in the room you could plug a lamp into. Often done when the ceiling light is not there. Might only be the top or bottom 1/2 of the receptacle.

Of course a switch can be wired in. How hard depends on your wall finishes, access above or below the room, if the joists run in the proper direction for easy fishing, how many holes you will permit in the wall to be patched later,etc.

There is also one other option, an x10 system switch or other "smart" technology. This would either send a signal over your existing wiring or wirelessly thru the air to a module installed in the light fixture. Not always cheap, can have some technological hiccups to get thru, but it does not require new wiring to be run and is DIY friendly.

I have an x10 switch in my kitchen that controls lights outside the detached garage,and I did not pull separate wiring to it. Also can turn all the lights on that system "on" or "off"with one button on a controller I bought.

check smarthome.com or any other site that comes up when you google smart home and you will find what I mean.

sorry for running on.... good luck
s.kelly

Postby khwils on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:54 am

I just recently encountered the same issue - kinda! My ceiling box had power to it all the time, it was switched but somewhere the wires were making a constant connection. My power was at the ceiling box and sent to the switch to open/close the circuit on the hot side. I ran a new wire to switch.

You don't have a switch?? Can you trace the wire at all? I was lucky and I could access the wire from the attic after removing a few floor boards.

I agree with s.kelly on your options if you don't want to run a conventional switch. I have not used the smart switches but I've seen them. You can also install a remote control unit it you light, my issue above was fixed like that by a PO.

I have added pull chain switches to several lights, they can be added to almost any fixture. You can get them at any hardware store for about $2, all you need to install is a drill and a 3/8 drill bit.

I would make sure there isn't a switch box that was drywalled over also, for one thing it's not code.

Kurt
khwils

Postby fredfon on Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:04 pm

On some fixtures it could be as easy as this to add a pull chain-
http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/12- ... 01209.aspx
(Make sure using this does not place the bulb too close to anything that may burn.
Or you may have to replace the lamp socket itself-not real hard.
http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/13- ... 34773.aspx
There are these if you want a wall-mounted switch, but the transmitter (switch part) requires a battery. I'd imagine that could become a PITA.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... =389197960
fredfon

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum