portable scaffold--need recommendation

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

pqtex

portable scaffold--need recommendation

Post by pqtex »

I just found out that my Krause 16 ft multimatic ladder that I bought in the 1990's from Home Depot was recalled a looong time ago for safety problems. I contacted Home Depot and they said they will replace it with something comparable or try to figure out what it sold for back then for a store credit. I don't have a receipt after all this time and don't remember what I paid for it, but $189 sticks in my mind.

This ladder gave me a lot of problems and I eventually just bought a better, different ladder. However, one of the reasons I bought it was to be able to configure it into scaffolding. I have a definite need for a portable scaffold system regardless of how many ladders I have. A rolling scaffold might be nice, but don't know how important that is.

Regardless of whether I get it from Home Depot as part of the recall/exchange, or purchase it elsewhere, I would like recommendations for a unit that is sturdy/stable/useful/portable, and is on wheels. Any suggestions or recommendations? I can't afford a heavy-duty commercial unit, so price is a consideration.

What do you have? Is there one on your wish list? What features are important, and what are things to watch out for?

Thanks,

Jill
Last edited by pqtex on Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org

pqtex

Re: portable rolling scaffold--need recommendation

Post by pqtex »

oh, and I should have mentioned that I have 11 ft ceilings.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org

plastrr385

Re: portable scaffold--need recommendation

Post by plastrr385 »

tractor supply cells them for about 175 and you can get them @ HD just ask the guy at the contractors desk he should be able to hook ya up. I paid 100 for mine its 6' lond and about 30" wide from Homier. They use to be on line. Try homier.com...its yellow

lisascenic

Post by lisascenic »

Have you looked at Little Giants?

Very clever.

dalmatiangirl61

Post by dalmatiangirl61 »

If I was going to buy another scaffold set I'd get one of the aluminum ones, if working alone they are easier to set-up and move. Werner has a very nice set called a snap-up system, model# SWB-8U, they run about $1800 new, you might find a used set for less. Northern Tool carries a folding aluminum set, not sure of the dimensions, but its only $159. The wider and longer the set is, the more stable it is, and safer :D .

As a side note, about this time last year I took a pretty good spill by using a table as a quick/temporary scaffold, getting up was not a problem, 30 second fix went well, then I went to get down, not sure which hid harder, my tailbone or the back of my head, on tile over concrete, I don't think there were any lasting scars, but it hurt like hell for several days. A few years ago a friend fell off a ladder, from about 10 feet tall, fortunately the customer felt he was not acting quite right and called EMS, he had a fractured skull and cranial bleeding, spent about 30 days in the hospital, thankfully had insurance.

So for all of us DIY'ers and contractors, always remember, SAFETY FIRST!

Kristin
McGill Clubhouse

lisascenic

Post by lisascenic »

All I can say about ladders is BE CAREFUL.

My partner is paralyzed from a fall from a 12 foot ladder.

Don't take chances. Don't over reach. Alway maintain three points of contact, and keep your (real or imaginary) belt buckle between the uprights of the ladder.

LorenaBlairBOp

christian mingle reviews

Post by LorenaBlairBOp »

Try single women network in Bangalore

The tyranny of kinds matchmaking imagine boy, babe, couples; The forced joy, The fake interest, The awkwardness is on its way out, and from now on urban, Educated crowd is not mourning the shift in the check of power.

The first blow was landed by the webs matrimonial sites. at this instant, Those feeling unsatisfied by matrimonial sites have another option: Singles structures.

Best interaction are those that happen over shared experiences, In an informal and safe ecosystem, Says 33 years old Munmun Banerjee, Who is tired of her seeing her finer qualities advertised by her parents in the matrimonial section of a Sunday paper; very popularly used online matrimonial sites didn help either.

Whole process is frustrating.

as an example,warm up liquids, Twoly Madly really (TMD) Is a single network started by former marketing consultancy Chaitanya Ramalingegowda. Of our members are people in the 28 36 generation. The idea is to build a human relationship, After which families get involved rather than the opposite way round, statements Ramalingegowda.

TMD regularly organizes work spaces like dance, boiling, Wine tasting and puts across an invite to all its members. The end of each one event, We have people exchanging numbers and taking their relationships forward. Ipsita Mehra (Name differed) Attended an excellent session by Floh, An invitation only network for men and women. Am 29 as there was constant pressure from my parents to settle down. I have always found it odd to meet a boy alongside parents, she says.

Ipsita luck changed when her friend asked her to use a singles network. She attended a trekking workshop methodized by the group, in which she met Vincent.

Had other parts of common. warming up, Like me he too is interested in dancing. We then decided to go to a dance workshop together and got on really well, states.

Floh and TMD are sites where members get taken in only after a thorough screening. Members then get invited for events and courses which are charged.

intended for Dhruv Sethi, A 30 yr old banker, This was substantial criteria. could be better to have yourself verified. The problem with online dating sites is: Women usually trust you. Here you possess an assurance on that front, according to him. Dhruv is now all set to enter wedlock with Sakshi, Whom he met at a wine tasting session in don't forget national this year.

Ramalingegowda, likewise, Agrees with all the time striking a conversation with a stranger is difficult. Hence it is always better to engage people in events. Whole setup is simple. somebody there to impress anyone, he tells.

Nandini Chakraborty, head honcho Marrygold, A matrimonial boutique firm, Says that kids today are more transgenderdate open to such events. I methodized such events in 2006 07, there have been hardly any takers. Now stuff has changed a lot, she says.