Repairing White Marble Fireplace Mantel

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: TinaB, Don M, Schag, oldhouse

Repairing White Marble Fireplace Mantel

Postby dalmatiangirl61 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:04 pm

Does anyone know how to repair broken white marble? My neighbor purchased a white marble fireplace mantel that has several broken pieces, the breaks are clean and fit back together fairly tightly. Of course the only reason she bought it is because she knew I would know how to fix it :lol: . So lets not disappoint her.

Kristin
McGill Clubhouse
dalmatiangirl61

Re: Repairing White Marble Fireplace Mantel

Postby Julie&Glen » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:39 pm

I have seen some shows that covered marble repair. What they do is cut two parallel channels in the back into which they placed re-enforcing rods embedded in epoxy. A color matched epoxy is used to fill the actual crack. Pipe clamps are used to hold the pieced together tightly while the epoxy sets. Once the pieces are assembled and the epoxy is completely cured, you will need to polish the front of the piece to remove any excess epoxy. The cracks will be almost invisible. Good luck.
Julie&Glen

Postby Old Colonial » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:17 pm

Kristin,

I would contact someone who does granite kitchen fabrication to find out what epoxy product they use. I had a farmers sink made from granite. Not only does it have to stay together, it has to hold water.

Jeff
Old Colonial

Postby sooth » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:49 pm

I agree with Jeff. Contact anyone who works with granite counter tops/marble and they would be able to reglue the breaks using their specialized epoxy resin (regular epoxy will turn yellow in a few months).
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Postby Julie&Glen » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:59 pm

sooth wrote:I agree with Jeff. Contact anyone who works with granite counter tops/marble and they would be able to reglue the breaks using their specialized epoxy resin (regular epoxy will turn yellow in a few months).

Agree that you can't use just any old epoxy. One used that I saw was specifically formulated for marble repair. I wouldn't suggest using an epoxy designed for granite on marble. Marble is much "softer" and pores than granite.
Julie&Glen

Postby cs » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:19 am

I've used a marble epoxy while installing my soapstone counter tops & fireplace surrounds. In my case it was black (to match the soapstone), but I'm sure you can get white. The bond is super strong, and nearly invisible. In the case of a repair to a break (which would have an irregular seam) it would be very hard to spot. The brand I used was Akemi ( http://www.akemi.de/en/products/stonerange/ ), and I purchased it from the stone supplier. It had a toothpaste-like consistency.

Hope that helps!

Chris
http://www.saracenihouse.com
cs

Return to General Discussions Forum