Can you paint over shellac?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: TinaB, Don M, Schag, oldhouse

Can you paint over shellac?

Postby McCall » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:08 pm

Can you paint over shellac and if so with which type paint, latex or oil? If you can't then what is the best way to remove the shellac?

what about varnish? same questions. Thanks
The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference!
McCall

Re: Can you paint over shellac?

Postby moonshadow317 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:32 pm

Don't know about varnish but you can paint any kind of paint over shellac. One of shellac's main uses is that it is a primer. Especially good for sealing knots in raw wood :mrgreen:
Karen
moonshadow317

Postby cs » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:18 pm

That sounds ominously like you are planning to paint previously unpainted woodwork. :shock: Say it ain't so!

Chris
http://www.saracenihouse.com
cs

Postby angolito » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:25 am

i echo the concern that you may be going to paint over virgin old wood trim.......??????
angolito

Postby Texas_Ranger » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:26 am

At least with the shellac on the paint will be easy/easier to remove...
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com
Texas_Ranger

Postby cs » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:05 am

Easier? Perhaps. But easy? No! It took me 10 years to de-whitepaint-ify my house. Some well intentioned PO just wanted to brighten things up. Ugg.

Chris
http://www.saracenihouse.com
cs

Postby Vaso7 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:20 am

Although you can paint on top of shellac in my experience if the shellac underneath is 100 years old the painting job is not going to be good unless you prep the surfaces. I am not in any way advocating doing that and I am the first to point that unlike popular belief a place does NOT brighten up with white paint unless it is designed to be bright with natural light. Anyway, that's a separate topic that I like to engage.... Ok, back to shellac. I have two bedrooms in my house that they were initially shellacked and then painted on top white without any prep. That was done in the 70's when the shellac was already about 70years old. You can still see in the white paint the alligatoring of the shellac underneath and there are plenty of spots with pealing and also some bubbling here and there. So if you want to do that you still have to spend numerous hours prepping the surfaces. All the grime and dirt has to be cleaned and major alligatoring erased. But after you clean and prep all the wood you will be so happy on how fresh and beautiful it looks that you will not have the heart to paint over!!!!
1902 Shingle
Designed by Wales&Holt for Mr and Mrs W. A. Cary
Vaso7

Postby McCall » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:51 pm

No one mentioned white paint or brightening. It is in fact a very small pc of moulding along the staircase less than an inch wide, that I want to color as an accent.

It is all very well to renew and preserve, but one must also live one's life in a house. besides not everything that was original to EVERY old house was good to start with. there were cheaply done houses, with cheap unattractive wood that just because it was Wood doesn't mean it should never see a coat of paint.

Anyway one reason I bought this house was the fact so much of the original work was there for instance my nice french doors.

The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference!
McCall

Postby angolito » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:54 pm

oh, good. we can stop holding our breath :D you would not believe how many people suggest painting an old house i take care of. it has old Dark wood, and a lot of it...... and invariably some future tenants will say "it would be much lighter with that old dark wood spruced up with a nice coat of refrigerator white paint".... lmao
angolito

Postby angolito » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:56 pm

now that that is out of the way, yes shellac is a good base coat. AND if you use paint over any surface you obviously know that the subsequent coats are likely to show the quality of that surface.
angolito

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum