dcsimg

"Antiqueness" of furniture

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: "Antiqueness" of furniture

Postby lisascenic on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:28 am

Why does that style of fabric always say 1930s to me?

By the way, another option for getting your furniture re-upholstered is to talk to the prop shop at the largest local theater in town. They see it all! Be sure to tell anyone who works on your furniture *exactly* what you want done.
lisascenic

Postby Civil War Seamstress on Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:11 am

I got an old pulled apart sofa free from a yard sale. It had been done over at one time as there was foam in the seat.
I brought it to a reupholster who does loads of antiques, to have the item restored. He told me it wouldn't be cheap and he would only do it if the piece was worth it. I got horsehair, springs etc. Never regretted it. He did beautiful diamond tucks on it too.
"If everything is coming your way....you're in the Wrong Lane!"

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/Wackyshack/
Civil War Seamstress

Postby cs on Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:45 am

Nancy W wrote:I forgot to mention the seat cushion. The sofa from the original post does not appear to have loose seat cushions, however the pictures posted by cs show a chair with a loose cushion. It appears the cushion is NOT foam filled and looks appropriate for the chair. Foam cushions in an antique chair are just too ridgid and don't look right. I guess it is like replacing wood window with vinyl. They just don't look right. Or having one pane of modern glass in a 6 over 6 window where all the other panes are nice wavy glass. It stands out like a sore thumb. Of course that's my opinion.

Yes... that's right. He replaced all the missing springs and padding, then, based upon some old photos of the pieces, did loose cushions for the seats. A full-up restoration would have had them filled with down, but we elected to save a bit of money and fill them with a good bit of down, wrapped around a thin foam core. This still looks and feels "right" (IMO), but doesn't use quite so much expensive materials.

Chris
www,saracenihouse.com
cs

Postby melissakd on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:25 pm

Out of curiosity, Shazz, do you know how old the sofa is, and how old the fabric is? Here's what I was thinking: if it dates from the same time as one of the Dover reprint catalogs, you've got a ready-made list of period-appropriate fabrics in the catalog descriptions.

I believe I saw sofas like yours in the 1895 Montgomery Ward catalog. If you want, I can go get it and see for sure, and give you the list of upholstery options from it.

MelissaKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby shazapple on Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:40 pm

The fabric is only 30ish years old. My parents had the local Craft college refinish and reupholster it using the original horse hair. The couch itself came from my grandparents who got it from an auction, so I'll have to ask them about the history of it.
shazapple

Postby smithrolline on Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:37 am

I really love to keep antique things in the same position they are. But for their looks, it is necessary to use some modern techniques and materials.
smithrolline

Postby Aurum on Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:53 am

cs wrote:I bought this set from a neighbor of my parents about 15 years ago:

The three large pieces had been placed in a barn back in the 1960's and the stool had been relegated to the attic. In short order, field mice had colonized the barn items, so the farmer ripped everything out of the frames, even the springs, but the stool was left alone.

After purchasing the items, my wife and I had everything reupholstered by a guy who specializes in restoring antiques. We got the recommendation from an antiques dealer we know (as a dealer, he needs quality restoration work done at a price that allows some profit margin for him when he resells the pieces). He was very reasonably priced for us, and he did a great job - though it took something like six months.
His most scathing criticism, was directed at the farmer's decision to discard the original springs from the pieces stored in the barn. His opinion, was that even if you absolutely must discard the soft parts... at least keep the springs. For the stool, he pretty much retained everything except the fabric covering.

Chris
http://www.saracenihouse.com

it look's amazing. Looks like it belonged to king's family and was staying in a castle for a long time :D
Aurum

Previous

Return to General Discussions Forum