Need new roof to have insurance lowered! Help/Input please!

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Need new roof to have insurance lowered! Help/Input please!

Postby Posey on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:03 am

Our home has the org. 100yr old slate roof. Although it currently does not leak and seems to be in decent shape, we need to have it replaced this coming summer.
Our home owners insurance is requiring we replace it along with painting the house to have our insurance lowered. Our insurance is VERY HIGH currently until we get these things done.

My husband wants to keep the slate or replace it newer slate. Since he feels the house will loose much of its character without it. :roll:
I feel that new slate is going to be very costly and out of our budget, and that a shingled roof would be just fine.

Has anyone put a new slate roof on their house?
We have a friend that is a roofer and said he knows how to properly put on slate. I have not gotten an estimate from him as I am afraid of the price.

Has anyone had problems with their home owners insurance being high until they do certain repairs? Is there any way for them to lower it prior to the repairs being done?
Tasha
Michigan
Posey

Re: Need new roof to have insurance lowered! Help/Input please!

Postby jade mortimer on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:40 am

how absurd...i say look around for a new insurance company...big business makes my stomach turn... :evil:

i vote you stay with the slate...try finding an asphalt roof that lasts 100 years...get someone to inspect the roof and certify that it is in good order...

good luck.....
......jade
jade mortimer

Postby cadrad on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:01 am

why are they requiring you to replace it? if it doesn't leak and is in good shape then there is absolutely no reason to remove it. you are talking huge money to replace it with slate. depending on the size of your house, you could be anywhere from 50 to 100,000 dollars. Slate is the best roofing out there, bar none. if you have problems, have it repaired!i would fight them on this tooth and nail. I completely agree with your husband. it will change the entire look of your house. search here on the forum under state roof for a ton of information. They have a lot of nerve to tell you you must rip off a defining architectural feature to get lower insurance. Did they say why? its not like its a fire hazard! p.s. you might try the local historical commission. ours will not generally approve removal of original roofing unless you replace it in kind. you could use that as leverage to fight the insurance.
Steven R.
muskegon MI
Charles E. Johnson house
1916 prairie style
visit my new profile at http://www.wavyglass.org
cadrad

Postby pqtex on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:02 pm

Doesn't make sense. You say it doesn't leak...and appears to be in good shape. What are the defining reasons the insurance company has given you that require replacement? I vote for getting quotes from other insurance companies. Slate roofs are gorgeous. Replacing it with something else would change the character of the house.

How about some photos? Pretty Please?
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby wletson on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:27 pm

Everything they said! If that insurance company won't lower the rate unless you remove the slate... dump them! That's absurd!
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby angolito on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:35 pm

GET ANOTHER INSURANCE AGENCY. your husband is not only right about losing character, your property value will plummet.
angolito

Postby HB on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:36 pm

If it's not broken DON'T FIX IT.

I agree, the rooof is not the problem, the insurance company is.

Maybe you should remind the agent that the roof is fire proof, whereas a new shingled roof is not.

HB
The lord hates a coward....
HB

Postby lupinfarm on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:39 pm

I agree. the cost to replace a slate roof with a new slate roof would be higher than any savings the insurance company would be able to offer. And if it aint broke dont fix it. The original slate is in good order,yes? Then I say stick with it and find another insurer. Do you
have other business with this insurer, I.E. auto, business, professional liability. Take all your
business and let them know in writing that you will be doing it. Be prepared though for them
to start threatening surcharges if you are mid policy period. You may have to play their "dirty" game inorder to come out with a good outcome.
Good luck!
Dont allow "Corporate America" to bully you.
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Postby angolito on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:43 pm

this is an album on my kodak gallery of the re-roofing of a harvey ellis masterpiece here in saint joseph. you used to be able to see the slate roof instantly from the interstate. now it is invisible amongst all the other asphalt.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/cre ... albums.jsp

i will pm you the email and password so you can see it if the link won't let you. much of the copper which they tried to put back on has since fallen off and broken because the profile for the bases is all wrong. :evil: :evil: :evil:
angolito

Postby melissakd on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:00 pm

Just what did they say was the reason why you had to replace the roof? Have you had the house long enough to personally experience whether it leaks or has any other problems? Has the house been structurally compromised in any way (fire, termites, etc.)?

The house does look like it needs to be painted, which does affect whether or not the place starts falling down, but as for the roof, I'm pretty sure they just don't know what the heck they're talking about.

MelissaKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum