Things that Make a Yard Ugly

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

artfox

Re: Things that Make a Yard Ugly

Post by artfox »

There's one bathtub shrine two streets over from me that's adorned with bright artificial flowers and Christmas lights the year 'round. I'm beginning to think of this sort of yard decoration as folk art or "outsider" art.

As a side note, Houston has several acclaimed examples of outsider art: The Orange Show, The Beer Can House and the Art Car Parade are the most famous ones. The first two are in residential neighborhoods. Working on - or parking -- an Art Car in one's driveway is a sure way to get dropped from the "Yard of the Month" nominee list.

KristenS

Post by KristenS »

I quite like crazy-on-purpose yards. There's a birdhouse yard near me, and it's fun to drive past. So colorful and wacky.

Growing up, friends of mine painted their enormous Victorian hot pink, dark pink, and purple. Then they covered an outdoor generator thingy with a miniature version of the house, in the same color scheme. And they had human-sized statues of David and Lady Liberty in the yard. No fooling!
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!

artfox

Post by artfox »

KristenS wrote:I quite like crazy-on-purpose yards. There's a birdhouse yard near me, and it's fun to drive past. So colorful and wacky.

Growing up, friends of mine painted their enormous Victorian hot pink, dark pink, and purple. Then they covered an outdoor generator thingy with a miniature version of the house, in the same color scheme. And they had human-sized statues of David and Lady Liberty in the yard. No fooling!
In my former neighborhood, the entire front yard of one house was nothing but white gravel studded with dozens of whirligigs, pinwheels, weathervanes and gazing balls. The homeowner didn't have to worry about keeping the grass mowed or plants watered. Of course, he didn't have butterflies or birds, either.

avjudge

Post by avjudge »

shazapple wrote:Haha! I thought mary in a bathtub was an acadian thing, along with trampolines and swinging chairs.
And I thought it was a Somerville (or Northeast urban) thing . . .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joshmichtom/sets/374600/

I actually hardly see them here any more - but 25 years ago when I was living here as a grad student they were all over! I do miss them.
Anne
Image Image

KathyJB

Post by KathyJB »

Wow, I remember that bathtub Virgin Mary thread. Wasn't that about 3 years or more ago?
I should take a picture of the yard one block from me complete with tied dogs under the trees, horse in the yard tied by the window all-day-long, trash all over the yard that eventually makes it to my yard. Unpainted house with windows askew, rotted doorways. I could go on about the 2 teenage girls who are too lazy to do anything but drive around town, but I won't.

Civil War Seamstress

Post by Civil War Seamstress »

I have a friend who calls that decor "The 1/2 bathtub with the Hail Mary in it".

What makes a yard ugly.
My rickety barn, and open sore of a yard where the 2 attached buildings to it were taken down.
My yard is slanted a bit so if you face the house straight on you can look right at the whole yard from the street and the barn makes the whole yard look like a construction site. The house is cute, but the barn takes everything away. Plus there is a ton of junk under the overhang which doesn't help the look one bit. We have decided to paint the building the same color as the house - my vote for a red barn got shot down. But at least it will look better, the gray weathered shingles make it look like a haunted, termite infested building.
"If everything is coming your way....you're in the Wrong Lane!"

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/Wackyshack/

cjd

Post by cjd »

Stuffed animals....

Image\

I guess its not in their "yard" so maybe this isn't the right thread to bring this up. :wink:

KristenS

Post by KristenS »

That stuffed animal house is just so...so... so AWESOME!

Are many of them white? Or just bleached from the sun?
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!

KathyJB

Post by KathyJB »

LOL, the bear's feet are the monkey's eyes.

matchbookhouse

Post by matchbookhouse »

Wow! That is one, um, unusual house (trying to be tactful, instead of saying what I really think.) However, that house truggered a memory for me of something that makes a yard ugly. When I was growing up, it was very popular in blue-collar neighborhoods to make flower planters out of old tires. Some people painted the tires first (so they'd look classier?); others just left them black. I guess it was sort of a Charm City thing, like painted screen doors in south Baltimore.