dcsimg

Help me make my fridge higher! UPDATE: NEW FRIDGE

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Help me make my fridge higher! UPDATE: NEW FRIDGE

Postby KristenS on Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:17 pm

I just got a new refrigerator. I hate it. I need your help!

I won't go into the horribly long explanation of why I have a fridge I hate. Simple version: I had to rush my decision, and I didn't get to see this thing in person.

The worst thing about it is the height. It's only 66 inches high. I'm 68 inches high. So I have to stoop stoop stoop to see anything inside the fridge part. (It's a top freezer type. Another long explanation.)

So, please help me my experienced friends, engineers, or technicians! Is there any sturdy and safe way to raise the darn thing up? Maybe a foot or so higher? Concrete blocks? Some sort of wooden box? Old phone books?
Last edited by KristenS on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!
KristenS

Re: Help me make my fridge higher!

Postby Neighmond on Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:42 pm

Build a platform of 2x8's and some plywood and finish it to match the rest of the wood in your room.

I did that with my fridge in the basement to keep it away from potential water issues, and the one upstairs because I am 6'3 and it is 4'6.
Every man must have a purpose to strive for
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because
A Man without a Dream is Dead

http://fromthedoolhousetothedoghouse.blogspot.com/
Neighmond

Postby lisascenic on Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:33 pm

I know I suggest this as the solution to *everything* but it's still valid

Call the nearest big theater, and see if someone in the scene shop or prop shop could build you something. Theatrical carpenters build weird one-off fixes All The Time.
lisascenic

Postby artfox on Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:49 pm

Neighmond's idea sounds reasonable and not too difficult. At my former house, I built a platform of 2x4's topped with a thick piece of plywood to raise an upright freezer off the garage floor, which was often wet. I attached rollers to the platform bottom so the freezer could be pulled out for defrosting and for sweeping the floor.
artfox

Postby lisascenic on Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:37 pm

I forgot to say that if you do want to have someone (like a theatrical carpenter) build this you should figure out what you want to spend, and have the builder come up with a plan to meet your budget.

I think two-by-fours in my kitchen would be depressing. Every time I looked at them I'd be angry about the durn fridge.
lisascenic

Postby KristenS on Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:56 pm

I think I shall call on the theatrical builder in myself and take on this awesome job myself!

Cause, you know, I built one set wall for On The Town in high school. So I'm qualified.

Truly, though, I built simple wall-to-wall shelving in my last apartment for my back room. Complete with customized cd, dvd, vhs, and book storage, over-the-door storage, and two desks.

If you all think wood will hold the fridge, I'm going for wood! I can do this!

And the casters are a brilliant idea. The fridge itself rolls...so I'll have to build something into the wood base that isolates the wheels and keeps them from moving about. Probably holes. Yes, that's it. Holes.
KristenS

Postby lisascenic on Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:05 pm

Well, make sure that you have a serious discussion with Your Self, about the budget.

Don't let Self pull a fast one, and run up the cost of the job.

And watch out for all of Self's weirdo friends who Self will invite over to help lift that fridge.

Seriously, though...Have fun with this!
lisascenic

Postby KristenS on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:09 pm

Thank you, lisascenic! I think I needed the vote of confidence from everyone that wood would work. I'm basing my design on pallet structure. But using three 2x8s on edge with a bunch of 1x3s across them. I think.

To your earlier point, that seeing the wood would constantly remind you how much you hate the fridge... Yeah. I'm gonna constantly be pissed at myself for not choosing more wisely. I didn't have great options to begin with. But I wish I'd followed my gut and held out until I found exactly what I wanted. (Though I had very good reasons not to. Impossible situation.)

But I'm hoping that seeing my amazing fridge redux will cheer me. I like it when I make lemons out of lemonade. Best drink there is. :)
KristenS

Postby McCall on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:46 pm

Raising a refrigerator would be no different than raising a Dishwasher for Universal access. the 2x8 box idea with 3/4 inch plywood top or doubled if you like would be easy to build and is what is used with the DW.
The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference!
McCall

Postby KristenS on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:13 am

Thank you, mccall, for the info. I've never raised anything in my life other than goldfish. And they always died on me. So hearing that this is a standard (and plywood--yes-- not my 1x3 idea) protocol is a relief.

Though I take it that my fridge, especially loaded with yummy foods, will be quite a bit heavier than the typical dishwasher.
KristenS

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum